books - Ships Nostalgia
19:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

books

User Tag List

Old 9th January 2012, 11:42

books

I have just finished reading 'The Shipyard Apprentice' by Willie Scott
I recommend it to all old engineering apprentices, it gives a good insight into the training methods in Harland & Wolff's yard in Belfast in the 1960's ISBN 978-0-9570994-0-1
Dave Carpenter ( Rivet )
Old 5th February 2012, 00:56

Smile The Shipyard Apprentice-Willie Scott

Hi Dave
Thanks for the positive comments on my book. It took a while to write as I was working at KBR offshore oil & gas construction yard at Nigg, as mechy engineer here in cold, snowy Highlands when I started it.
Isnt it strange how I can remember things I did 45 odd years ago and cant remember what I need to do this week or what I did a few years ago?
I read your 2 books and thoroughly enjoyed them and I can recommend them as well to all the old engineers and mates in or were in the Merchant Navy the best years of their lives.
bye the way I am well into my next book but need a non-copyright photo of MV ORAMA a P&O Trident Tanker ship for the front cover. I was lucky with last book as Harland & Wolff emailed me a photo of Methane Progress a ship I worked on in the sixties for the front cover.

bye for now,
thanks again
all the best to you and the rest of the guys, isn't this a super website?
Willie Scott
Old 8th September 2018, 10:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1986

Where can I find a copy of the shipyard’s apprentice by Willie scott?
Old 11th September 2018, 20:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Merchant Navy Apprentice 1951-1955

This is an account of life on deck as an apprentice in the iconic Bank Line, trolling round the world on long voyages. Written a few years back when the memories were still flooding in. Seems it takes more than 50 years for events to dim in the mind. Strangely, the good times are easily recalled, and any grim memories fade away....