Searching for crew members: SS Clan Alpine (Chittagong 1960) - Ships Nostalgia
15:10

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Searching for crew members: SS Clan Alpine (Chittagong 1960)

User Tag List

Old 14th March 2012, 12:32
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 2000 - Present

Searching for crew members: SS Clan Alpine (Chittagong 1960)

Dear all, I am writing a book about the ship breaking industry in Bangladesh. The story of the SS Clan Alpine, a merhcant ship washed inland by a tropical cyclone during a stop over in the Bengali port of Chittagong in 1960 is the starting point of Bangladesh's ship breaking industry. Even though I have a good deal of second hand info regarding the Clan Alpine's final days I would very much like to be able to talk to a memeber of its crew so I can include a first hand account of events. As such I wonder if anybody out there would be able to put me in touch with one of the ships crew members (listed below)

Master F.Harris
Chief Officer R.J. Bews
2nd Officer A.Logan
3rd Officer P.MacArthur
Cadets A.C.M.Crichton
D.G.C.Funnell
Radio Officer J.Paterson
Carpenter D.Varley
Purser J.Prince
Chief Engineer C.Ross
2nd Engineer A.S.Lawson
3rd Engineer J.S.Morris
4th Engineer J.Driscoll
Jnr Engineer R.J.Flint

Many thanks for any assistance !!!!.

Regards

Brendan Corr.
Old 5th June 2012, 21:21

I came across this query because I've long been trying to get in touch with A C M Crichton, who is mentioned here as a cadet on the SS Clan Alpine. We were at prep school (he lived in London), but when he went on to the Royal Nautical College, Pangbourne, and later joined the Clan Line, I lost touch; and I've failed to get anywhere by writing to the Clan Line and Pangbourne College. Maybe Alastair is no longer alive, as he'd be about my age (70). I'm intrigued by the story of the Clan Alpine, and would love to know more.
Old 6th June 2012, 09:55

My location
Years ago I vividly remember, whilst piloting a Clan liner, listening to a first hand account of the stranding of the Clan Alpine-I never knew his name; I wonder if it was ex.cadet Crichton!
Old 6th June 2012, 19:43
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1952 - 1965

Greetings Geoffrey and a warm welcome to SN. Bon voyage.
Old 7th June 2012, 09:39

Clan Alpine...the Ship in a Paddy Field.

There was an 11-page feature with several photos in 'SEA BREEZES(Volume 72.Number 626 of February 1998.Written by Capt.Andy Logan-who was then 2nd Mate on the 'Alpine at the time.

I picked mine up on E-Bay for a pound or two including p+ p last year.They are often to be found.

W.B.H.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SEA BREEZES Vol.72 No.626 Feb.1998.jpg (39.9 KB, 23 views)
Old 11th January 2013, 10:13

Clan Alpine-Chittagong

Hello Brendan
Not sure if you still require information on this for your book about the ship breaking industry in Bangladesh but my father, John Radford, was a Covenanted Assistant with James Finlay's (Clan Line Agents) in Chittagong at the time of the incident and for a number of years afterwards. He remembers Capt Harris and Prince (Purser/Chief Steward. He has a couple of anecdotes concerning the incident, if of interest, also amendments (few and slight) to the article in "Sea Breeze".
Regards
Susan
Old 2nd June 2013, 14:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1962

CLAN ALPINE 1960.
bmcorr,
You are looking for a member of the crew of the Clan Alpine, that was washed
inland in Bangladesh.
I am one of those,carpenter of the said vessel.
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:05
Super Moderator
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1964 - 1998

My location
C900305732,

on behalf of the Moderating team welcome to SN. If he does not respond to you here try sending him a PM - Private Message - via the site messaging system. He was on site on the 24th May so not too long ago.

Hawkey01
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:58
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Some stuff here:
http://www.bandcstaffregister.co.uk/page1348.html
Chris
Old 2nd June 2013, 16:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmcorr View Post
Dear all, I am writing a book about the ship breaking industry in Bangladesh. The story of the SS Clan Alpine, a merhcant ship washed inland by a tropical cyclone during a stop over in the Bengali port of Chittagong in 1960 is the starting point of Bangladesh's ship breaking industry. Even though I have a good deal of second hand info regarding the Clan Alpine's final days I would very much like to be able to talk to a memeber of its crew so I can include a first hand account of events. As such I wonder if anybody out there would be able to put me in touch with one of the ships crew members (listed below)

Master F.Harris
Chief Officer R.J. Bews
2nd Officer A.Logan
3rd Officer P.MacArthur
Cadets A.C.M.Crichton
D.G.C.Funnell
Radio Officer J.Paterson
Carpenter D.Varley
Purser J.Prince
Chief Engineer C.Ross
2nd Engineer A.S.Lawson
3rd Engineer J.S.Morris
4th Engineer J.Driscoll
Jnr Engineer R.J.Flint

Many thanks for any assistance !!!!.

Regards

Brendan Corr.
2nd.Engineer A.S. Lawson passed away a few year ago. Lived in Huntly.Aberdeenshire
Old 2nd June 2013, 16:29

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geoffrey Morris View Post
I came across this query because I've long been trying to get in touch with A C M Crichton, who is mentioned here as a cadet on the SS Clan Alpine. We were at prep school (he lived in London), but when he went on to the Royal Nautical College, Pangbourne, and later joined the Clan Line, I lost touch; and I've failed to get anywhere by writing to the Clan Line and Pangbourne College. Maybe Alastair is no longer alive, as he'd be about my age (70). I'm intrigued by the story of the Clan Alpine, and would love to know more.
I sailed with an Alistair Crichton on "Corbeach" in 1964. He was doing a few fill-in trips while awaiting the next intake of trainee pilots in the Fleet Air Arm. I think he lived in Sloane Square in London, and recall him telling me that Ted Dexter was a neighbour of his. He himself had played cricket for (I think) Surrey Colts. When we signed off he wanted me to spend a few days in London at his place, but I declined. Like yourself, have never found any trace of him since. Does it sound like the same chap?

Brian
Old 18th July 2019, 19:22

Book

Hi I know it's been a while since you posted this appeal for crew on the Clan Alpine , We believe you did speak to my father in law , 3rd officer on board at the time - J S Morris . We were just wandering whether or not you managed to get published if so could you inform us as to the title of the book and publishers please as We would like a copy .
Many thanks
D R Herbert
Please reply to [email protected].