Cornish Pasty - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
02:40

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cornish Pasty

User Tag List

Old 23rd December 2014, 11:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
Me old Nanna (was from Hull) used to make them this way, and she used to turn them during cooking, they were without a doubt the best Yorkies I ever tasted, she took the secret to her grave though of how exactly she made them.
Turning a Yorkshire Pudding! Sounds like a baked omelette. My brother-in-law's mother (from Carlton in Cleveland) made Yorkshire puddings that rose so high they had to take the oven door off to get them out - they still talk about it in the pub. That wouldn't have happened if she'd turned them over. Are you sure your Nanna wasn't a Cockney?

John T
Old 26th December 2014, 10:31

Last year my wife and I were in San Francisco,I noticed in foyer of the hotel a small shop selling cakes.They also had pasties,the first I had ever seen in the USA(all savouries such as meat pies ,sausage rolls etc,are no,no's).I asked the shop assistant for a pastie,but she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.When I pointed to them ,she said "they aren't pasties ,there hand pies"?
Old 26th December 2014, 11:03

Quote:
Originally Posted by kudu View Post
Last year my wife and I were in San Francisco,I noticed in foyer of the hotel a small shop selling cakes.They also had pasties,the first I had ever seen in the USA(all savouries such as meat pies ,sausage rolls etc,are no,no's).I asked the shop assistant for a pastie,but she didn't have a clue what I was talking about.When I pointed to them ,she said "they aren't pasties ,there hand pies"?
Do you mean these. www.marthastewart.com/1058976/savory-hand-pies

Last edited by cueball44; 26th December 2014 at 11:05..
Old 26th December 2014, 11:42

It's a wonder she didn't clock you with her handbag, Kudu. Over there, I think "pasties" are those things strippers stick on their nipples.

John T
Old 26th December 2014, 14:02
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1966 - 1976

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrie Youde View Post
Hi, Kevjacko!

Hope you might try selling your pasties at Tebay - best service-station on the motorway network!

B
We visited there on the recomendation of a lorry driving mate of mine and endured one of the worst breakfasts I have ever had the misfortune of seeing.The egg yolk fell out,fell out,of the white it was so small and shrunken and the fried bread shattered into fragments when I attempted to cut it,I asked to see the manager,not available,the chef wouldn`t come out of the kitchen,got half my money back`cause you`ve eaten the bacon and black pudding`utter shite
Old 26th December 2014, 17:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by William Clark8 View Post
We used to call them "Sealed Orders"
Thats what my old man called them during the war, as he said you never knew what was in them , but you sure knew where you were going after you ate one
Old 26th December 2014, 19:45
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevjacko View Post
There's a brilliant Cornish Pasty shop in Keswick of all places at the bottom of the market place, although I'm not sure what theyre calling them at the mo after all this stupid carry on about Cornish Pasties having to be made in Cornwall 'I swear' have people not got anything else to worry about than what other folk call their pasties?

My view is that the more folk who make a pasty and call it 'Cornish' the more it will pique peoples curiosity to visit Cornwall and sample the real thing (spending their hard earned wonga in the local economy to boot). Now my local bakers just call them 'pasties' dont look, taste, smell any different than they did before some small minded bunch of yokels decided the word Cornish was theirs, and theirs alone, pathetic......

Ah well that's me rant of the day oot the way, I'm off to enjoy the rest of the evening, might even bake mesel a pastie or two and call it what I damned well please.
I think Cumberland sausage has the same "name protection", speaking of Keswick.
Old 26th December 2014, 22:06

Yes, "sealed orders" and also known as a "who*re's handbag".

Name protection: also Kendal Mintcake - eaten on Everest ... And Scafell.

John T
Old 4th January 2015, 15:47

A proper Devonshire pasty ! Actually last nights tea.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pasty.JPG (36.1 KB, 44 views)
Old 4th December 2018, 13:06

'alf a pound of lard and flour, makes a tiddy oggie,
all the more for you and me, cor bugger Janner ...