Hardwicke Grange = 1961 - 1975 - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
13:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hardwicke Grange = 1961 - 1975

User Tag List

Old 14th April 2009, 14:17

HG's trip to New Zealand Nov/March 76/7

Hello Derek, I think you were the 2O on my first trip to sea as 2nd 'lecky' to Maurice Patterson. I was annoyingly keen in those days.
Old 20th April 2009, 16:52

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabpot View Post
Hello Derek, I think you were the 2O on my first trip to sea as 2nd 'lecky' to Maurice Patterson. I was annoyingly keen in those days.

Crabpot, if you were 2nd Lecky to Maurice Patterson you must be Mr. Kennedy I'm sorry you're first naem escapes me and my little book!! I was indeed the 2nd Mate on that trip.
Old 4th April 2010, 18:02

Peter St Claire (Norwood)

Hi
I was wondering if anyone knew of the whereabouts of Peter St Claire originally Norwood who travelled with my Late father Tom Head, Peter was Chief Steward approx 1969 . My Mother would dearly like to make contact with him and his wife, last known place they lived in was in Alicante. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Chris Head
Old 1st October 2010, 19:41

My location
Only found this site today and what a joy its been reading all the posts and having my memories jogged by mentions of many ships i sailed in. I joined as deck cadet in Sept 1973 about the famous Hardwicke Grange with Capt "Tag" Head and spent the next 6 months going from boy to man on the BA, Monte, Santos, London route. Santos at 16 was an experience I shall probably never forget. Over the following 7 years I experienced amongst others Cumbria, Orotava, Joule, Clerk Maxwell, Lynton Grange, Upwey Grange plus many others whose names elude me at this moment. I still have all my deck cadet books and journals so must drag them out for for a few hours welcome nostalgia. Leaving the merchant navy in 1980 as 2nd mate is my biggest ever regret, other than getting married the 1st time which is why I left in the first place.
Old 6th September 2011, 22:03

I sailed as a chippy,for 7 trips to South America,I also have several butterfly items,I was on the Hardwicke when we lost a steward who drowned in Le Havre, when we got to LONDON we were late paying off because we had to tell them what happened, I was one of the 2 crew members who went into try to save him, he was called Norman,can any one else remember this.
Old 7th September 2011, 03:15

Hi Chris. Met your Dad when a lowley 3/0 on the "Royston Grange" laid up in Falmouth during the meat ban, sorry to report but a post in "Houlders Ships and Crews" page #28 by James Crosbie says that Peter died several years ago. rgds Jon
Old 28th February 2012, 13:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by hercules View Post
Hardwicke Grange was a very nice vessel, good accommodation, good food, and good crew with a good run, and plenty of time to get ashore in South America on the few trips I did. Steam turbine with large diesel generators for power, and she used a lot of auxiliary power as a fridge ship with all the refrigeration compressors running on the way home full of Argentinian Beef. Just about the Merchant Navy at its best.
Sailed on HArdwick as jun/5 eng 1963/65 Fred chapstick. Was 3eng
Happy days!jimmy nicol
Old 7th March 2012, 03:18

Joined Hardwicke Grange in London as E.D>H. on maiden voyage. Capt. Kent in command. Top crew nearly all Geordies. Chuck Fairweather was the Bosun. Sailed with " Logger" Head on Hornby Grange.
Old 11th April 2012, 10:38
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by clonguish View Post
I had the pleasure ( and it was a pleasure ) to sail on the Hardwike twice once as a cadet in 73 and later as a J/E in 75 Z berth was always a home from our trips to the Royston when we were studying up the road in Poplar, and again when I served on board the Hardwicke, our times in BA were legend and whos still got a Butterfly tray from Santos or a Coat from Casa Marios in Monte. John Purvis I recall as 2/E to the C/E Bomber Harris, Johns somewhat excentric personallity extend to his Al Cantor impressions at the drop of a head, another infamous engineer at the time was the "Grey Bager"
She was a lady and I thought this was the life till I was rudely awaken by haveing to actually work and not just leaveing it to the relief crew. Who can name the Bars on 25 de Mayo?
texas bar, new texas bar, cloe together, great memories
Old 11th April 2012, 10:46

hi , we probably sailed together as iwas on the hardwick in the early 70, s. 6th march to23 april and3 may to 27 june
Old 11th April 2012, 10:54

hi , i remember aud and tonto, maud was a bit of a nine bob note but harmless and great fun to go ashore with and tonto was the one who used cooking oil to get a better tan , he was always brown as a walnut
Old 9th May 2013, 11:25

Sailed as Chippy on Hardwicke Grange 1961-1963.Peter Hector was Chief Mate and the boswain at that time was Jim Irwin hope I have spelt his name proper also sailed as Chippy on the Duquesa and the Oredian had a great time with Houlder Brothers ,had some great times looking back Sam Reed Chippy from Plymouth also friends with Creg Rich Chief Mate Duquesa
Old 12th August 2014, 22:58
Active: 1968 - 1973

I did my first trip as galley boy/asst cook in 1968 on the HARDWICKE grange I remember the cook was an Irishman named Jim Gordon Ramsay is an amateur by comparison. His previous job was in a London hotel completely mad but a great chef. I think the Chief steward was Irish too little fat guy. A beautiful vessel privileged to have sailed on her.
Old 15th August 2014, 13:21

Spannerman52, I think the "little fat guy" was probably Patrick O'Regan, Catering Officer on the Hardwicke. My wife and I had the pleasure of attending Paddy's wedding in Cork Cathedral over 30 years ago. Happy Days. Regards, Angus Davidson
Old 15th August 2014, 19:49

My location
Just learnt that a friends father by the name of 'Steatham' was a Holders man in the 40's and 50's, employed on the Meat Boats. Presently unaware of what he did, but he was able to take his son on board frequently when alongside in London. Anyone remember him?

MWD.
Old 15th August 2014, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by norsea View Post
Spannerman52, I think the "little fat guy" was probably Patrick O'Regan, Catering Officer on the Hardwicke. My wife and I had the pleasure of attending Paddy's wedding in Cork Cathedral over 30 years ago. Happy Days. Regards, Angus Davidson
Thanks Norsea I do believe that was his name, I'm 62 now and 16 then how old would he be now and are you still in touch
Regards
Old 15th August 2014, 21:33

Quote:
Angus were you on the HARDWICKE at that time? I remember just after we sailed the quartermaster had a heart attack and unfortunately passed away. We took his body to the Canary Islands but I was told his poor wife couldn't afford to have his body flown home so we had a service and buried him at sea quite an initiation for me on my first trip.
Old 19th August 2014, 09:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWD View Post
Just learnt that a friends father by the name of 'Steatham' was a Holders man in the 40's and 50's, employed on the Meat Boats. Presently unaware of what he did, but he was able to take his son on board frequently when alongside in London. Anyone remember him?

MWD.
I think the guy was "Ted Steatham" who was the Chief Electrician when I was aboard with Angus(Norsea) who was 2nd or 3rd Officer at the time. He went on to become Electrical Supt. for the Company. A very nice chap he was too.

Regards

Leo
Old 21st August 2014, 20:46

Spannerman52, Sorry,I can't recall being on board when a QM passed away.My time as 2/O wasJan.63 to Jan.65 and Nov.68 to Nov.70 Marinero, Ted Steatham was quite a character. After promotion to Superintendents Dept. he always made a beeline for my cabin for a swift ale on our arrival at Z Shed. Regards Angus D.
Old 22nd August 2014, 09:45

Quote:
Spannerman52, Sorry,I can't recall being on board when a QM passed away.My time as 2/O wasJan.63 to Jan.65 and Nov.68 to Nov.70 Marinero, Ted Steatham was quite a character. After promotion to Superintendents Dept. he always made a beeline for my cabin for a swift ale on our arrival at Z Shed. Regards Angus D.
Morning Angus.
Was Peter Hector the Chief Officer when we were on the "Hardwicke" I sailed with him as Master on the "Bideford Priory" I spent 2 happy years on the "Hardwicke".

Regards

Leo
Old 22nd August 2014, 19:57

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by marinero View Post
I think the guy was "Ted Steatham" who was the Chief Electrician when I was aboard with Angus(Norsea) who was 2nd or 3rd Officer at the time. He went on to become Electrical Supt. for the Company. A very nice chap he was too.

Regards

Leo
Thanks Marinero, I shall pass this on to my friend. He may like to have a look at the site. He did not go to sea, so missed out on the fellowship and excitement.

MWD.
Old 10th October 2014, 16:41

Hi there,
Do you remember if this person that die was name Donald Hugh Richardson? He would be my father and I was 11 years old at the time.
Old 17th October 2014, 13:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Paul Richardson View Post
Hi there,
Do you remember if this person that die was name Donald Hugh Richardson? He would be my father and I was 11 years old at the time.
Sorry Anthony. I don't remember the incident but I am sure someone on here will.

Regards
Old 19th October 2014, 15:53

During my time in the Hardwicke the Masters were Roy Faulkner and T.A.G.Head. One of the First Mates was John McLintock who later went to live in B.A. Chief Officer Stan Edgington later took a Superintendent's post in the B.A.Office. After 49 years afraid I can't remember any of the other Officers I sailed with. Regards, Angus D.
Old 6th May 2015, 23:42

I served on Hardwicke Grange 1974 to 1975 paid off Southampton Jan '75.