Oberon-class submarines - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
18:53

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Oberon-class submarines

User Tag List

Old 23rd March 2015, 14:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Farrow View Post
I have since checked for the names of these two submarines and they are OBERON and OTTER in Doig's Shipyard, Grimsby
Sorry about this but the two boats photographed are Oberon and Walrus. The latter being a Porpoise Class, both boats were renamed Seaforth A and Seaforth B, they were both destined for service in Egypt but as per usual the transaction fell through. Otter on the other hand was broken up at Harry Pounds Yard at Portsmouth as mentioned on an earlier post

Last edited by unseen; 23rd March 2015 at 14:12..
Old 6th April 2015, 21:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1973

When serving my time as mech. eng. fitter, I worked on HMS Onyx when fitting out in Cammell Laird wet basin. A windy driller managed to drop a 3/8 dia drill bit on my head when I was down in the snake-pit - pre H&S days so no hard hats! Wangled the afternoon off after visit to site medical nurse. Enjoyed submerged engine trials in basin as of course apprentices not permitted to dive on sea trials post HMS Thetis.
Old 28th September 2015, 19:52
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Electrician
Active: 1977 - 1980

onyx / ojibwa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scatari View Post
Mike:

Ojibwa was originally being built for the RN (as HMS Onyx), but was purchased by Canada while being built. The other two (Onondaga and Okanagan)were built specifically for the RCN.

As mentioned above, Ojibwa and Onondaga have been preserved,while Okanagan was scrapped in 2011.

Olympus was purchased as a harbour training platform and never went to sea while in Canadian service. She was scrapped in 2011.

Osiris was purchased for spare parts in 1989, but never came to Canada - she was stripped out by Cammell Laird, then scrapped in the UK in 1992.
HI, many thanks for that ...very interesting as i always assumed ONYX had served at some point in the RCN.....never knew that another one was built afterwards and again called ONYX .....i took a few things off the (RN) ONYX last year as she was being scrapped....all to go in my submarine display...very many thanks for putting me right about this . all the very best ..mike ( skippy ) ilett ex ODIN