T.W.WARD shipbreakers - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
10:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

T.W.WARD shipbreakers

User Tag List

Old 8th April 2007, 17:24

I have come across this pic of INVERKEITHING,with H.M.S LINCOLN.
could any one out there let me know of the breakers name.could i be correct in saying it is of T.W .WARD. And would this have been one of the very last navy ship to be broken up there,???
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HMS LINCOLN.jpg (88.7 KB, 171 views)
Old 9th April 2007, 21:40

Yes Yorky Jim, it is/was Wards at Inverkeithing. Regards Arch
Old 10th May 2007, 14:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1975 - 1979

T. W. Ward had interests all over the UK, including the breakers yard at Inverkeithing where the Franconia, Britannic and Mauretania (II) were turned into razor blades. They were also involved in engineering for a time owning Marshalls of Gainsborough and John Fowler of Leeds.
Old 10th May 2007, 14:25

James A. White had nothing to do with T. W. Ward and were an independent firm operating from St. David's Bay. They could only cope with the small stuff and were sometimes forced to 'sell on' prospective purchases when the yard was full.
Old 10th May 2007, 16:42

James A White operated at the former village of St. David's on Forth. When I knew the yard in the mid '50s many of the houses still stood and the shipbreaking was conducted at the old quay in the harbour, but as Allan says the site was very cramped. Not only did they have the ships in for scrap but also ran a small slipway directly into the Forth and had their rather decrepit bunch of "salvage" steamers also in the harbour. As I recall book keeping was not one of the strong points, so records of ships broken up are hard to come by although I do have a small list from the late 1950s through to 1968.
Gil
Old 10th May 2007, 16:53
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 2003

My location
You are quite correct Allan an error on my part in my earlier post James A Whyte should have read St Davids and not Inverkeithing
TomS
Old 11th May 2007, 15:53

Yes, most of my old friends finished up at Whiteys - we went down one Sunday afternoon to say farewell to an old friend - Glen Helen. His collection of vintage steamers, the Nellie Laud, Recovery and Plato were also interesting.
Old 26th May 2007, 07:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by fordy View Post
i remember as a boy looking out for the ships being broken at wards in the river neath. i associated that is why they called it giant's grave i don't know if that is true
No its not ,the name Giants Grave refers to it being the burial site of a local Giant from folklore dating back over 1,000 years.
Well over 200 Ships were broken up here between 1906 and the late 1970s.
I have what I think is a complete list of those Ships and photographs of most, although many not actually taken at the yard itself.
Old 26th May 2007, 08:13

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentina View Post
No its not ,the name Giants Grave refers to it being the burial site of a local Giant from folklore dating back over 1,000 years.
I have what I think is a complete list of those Ships and photographs of most, although many not actually taken at the yard itself.

Sad to see but look forward to seeing this info and photos

Paul
Old 27th May 2007, 17:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorky jim View Post
What history is known of the above firm?i understand that they had the job of cutting down most of the ww11 warships after the war ,then as well took on the task of removing old merchant navy ships.
i find there is no web site for the above firm,
but is there a list of ships that went through there hands.???
Jim.
Attached are some references to Thos W. Ward in The Times. From one co. in 1878, it grew to a large group of companies. In a 1965 ad, they said they had dismantled over 2,000 ships in 67 years of shipbreaking. The Thos W. Ward group was eventually swallowed by Rio Tinto-Zinc in 1982 after a 125m takeover battle.
regards,
Martin
Attached Files
File Type: txt Thos_W_Ward_shipbreakers.txt (6.4 KB, 93 views)
Old 27th May 2007, 18:15

Meant to add, the company published a book in 1953 called: "Outline Of Progress: 1878-1953: Commemorating 75 Years Of Service To Industry, .." If you go to Bookfinder and type in Thos W Ward, it returns a couple of hits (a bit pricey though - you might get lucky and find it in a library). There's a more recent publication, a booklet, called "Shipbreaking At Morecambe. T.W.Ward Ltd. 1905-1933", cheaper but noted as scarce.

Martin
Old 28th May 2007, 16:34

That was a lot of info, since i posted this thread i have had a lot of SAIL NO MORE books off e.bay .
And reading through it ,you can piece it,s history .
IN the attac pic ,could this be at MORECAMBE
Attached Images
File Type: jpg scrapyard.jpg (76.7 KB, 132 views)
Old 1st June 2007, 20:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by dentina View Post
Hello,

I'm trying to compile an online map showing where private companies broke up British Railways steam locos in the 1960s.
T. W. Wards had several yards around the Sheffiled / Rotherham areas, as well as Giants Wharf, Briton Ferry. There were other breakers around the Bridgend, Briton Ferry areas too, such as Steel Supply, listed as being located at Briton Ferry, and also Jersey Marine.

Can anybody help me with their actual locations please?
The map is here:- http://tinyurl.com/32dv2f.

Any help greatly appreciated.

Very Best Wishes,
Bob. we1330 'AT' yahoo.co.uk
Old 19th June 2007, 16:05

In this pic ,is a view of H.M.S ROBERTS being broken up ,at what appears to be at WARDS in Scotland.[ could be wrong]
But looking over Google for ROBERTS i find there is no history for the ship.
do,s it come under a another title?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg roberts in scotland 4.JPG (58.1 KB, 119 views)
Old 19th June 2007, 19:50

Abercrombie Class Monitor, ROBERTS, built Swan Hunter 1915. 6150 tons.
Sold for scrap to Ward, Preston 9/1936.
Regards...............WLH
Old 19th June 2007, 21:30

You are correct Walter, she is on the gridiron in the Ribble at Thos W. Ward Ltd, Preston.
Gil.
Old 20th June 2007, 13:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by WLH View Post
Abercrombie Class Monitor, ROBERTS, built Swan Hunter 1915. 6150 tons.
Sold for scrap to Ward, Preston 9/1936.
Regards...............WLH
would that be 19??
as she was in portsmouth untill middle 60,s.
Old 20th June 2007, 14:53

ROBERTS scrapped Preston 1936 was 'Abercrombie' class monitor built 1915; 2 x 14" etc. The ROBERTS that we remember was built by John Brown in 1941; 2 x 15"etc.
Gil.
Old 20th June 2007, 18:29

ROBERTS built 1941 and latterly used as an accommodation and store ship for Reserve Fleet Devonport was sold to Thos. W. Ward Ltd, Sheffield and allocated to their Inverkeithing yard for demolition. She sailed Devonport 19 Jul 1965 in tow of Samsonia and Typhoon and was delivered alongside at Inverkeithing on 3 Aug 1965.
Gil
Old 20th June 2007, 18:37

many thanks GIL for the info.now i can put some history to the pic.
Old 10th August 2007, 11:45

could any one say ,Where ever did all the ships bells go ,is there one place the M.O.D keep them?as would they be used on other ships that had the same name.if built .
at times you may see bells off small ships around museum's
Old 12th July 2009, 11:59

Thomas.w.warda

S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thamesphil View Post
AFAIK, T.W. Ward ceased operations years ago. They used to have a scrap yard at Grays, Essex and during the 1980s they were still breaking up the odd trawler etc. They also used the berth as a scrap export facility and there were often coasters loading there. However, the land was sold some time ago and I believe it is now all redeveloped with houses and flats.

Phil
I HAVE A BOOK CALLED THEIR LAST RESTING PLACE I LIVED IN GRAYS ABOUT A MILE FROM WARDS .THE SUBMAIRE TRUCKULENT WAS CUT UP AT WARDS SHE ARRIVED ABOUT 1400 HRS AND AS KIDS WE WERE ON HER AT ABOUT1800 HRS.JUST AFTER THE WAR 4 GERMAN CORVET TYPE BOATS CAME ALONG SIDE THE OLD CHALK AND WHITING JETTY AND WE HAD THE TIME OF OUR LIVES PLAYING ON THEM.I NOW LIVE IN N.Z BUT I WAS IN THE U.K. TWO YEARS AGO AND YES ALL THE AREA AROUND THE OLD WHARF(AS WE CALLED IT) IS HOUSING.KEN WILLIAMS SEAMEW
Old 26th October 2014, 14:21

Two Dutch torpedoboats, G.13 and G.15 were scrapped at Preston starting February 1943. I would be very interested to know if these ships were scrapped at T.W. Ward and if there could have been any photos taken of the ships whilst they were at Preston.

Thanks,
Old 30th October 2014, 23:56

Re post 37 - Pellew and Houghton were scrapped at Fleetwood by a company called Kitson Vickers.
Old 31st October 2014, 08:10

Yes G.13 and G.15 were broken up by Wards at Preston starting February 1943. A full list of all vessels broken up by Wards at Preston is contained in Jack Dakres excellent book, The Last Tide, A HIstory of the Port of Preston.
Shipbreaking at Fleetwood was outside the dock on the old traversing slipways and gridiron see our website http://www.fleetwood-fishing-industr...-collena-fd20/ for the scene.
Gil.