Hull Nautical College - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
14:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Hull Nautical College

User Tag List

Old 4th November 2010, 19:25

My location
Some new pictures from Hull in 1974 ONC1 course found athttps://www.shipsnostalgia.com/galler...ame/tonymorcom
Old 7th November 2010, 22:46

I attended the Humberside College of Higher Education 1988-1991 OND/HNC Telecoms (marine). Used to be old college.

Sadly shipping industry declined when I finished and no job!!!!!
Old 27th August 2011, 18:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymagpie View Post
We have had a reunion of our Second Mates (HNC 1976) course for the passed few years.
We meet up at the old college steps at noon on the Saturday and repair to the Old White Harte for 'liquid' lunch and 'swing the lantern'.
A few of the old lecturers turn up. (last year we had Jim Hawkins, Dave Martin, Frank Barrett, George West and Alan Hodgson)
This years gathering is on 25/26 September.
Course members who attend include Messers Vitty,Gudgeon,Bryce,Brown,Hardy,Brittain, Clegg,Simpson, Marsh,Smuff et al.

Mike Bartle

This years bash is on 1st October.

Mike
Old 5th October 2011, 21:35
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 1979

Hi I new to the site and I am captivated by the topics and information found.
I attended the Boulevard High School for Nautical Training from 1968 to 1972 and Nobby Clarke also taught us signals. The Head was Capt Allison, Capt Jones taught Navigation, could do with a bit of help with the other teachers that were there over that time period I attended. Thanks
I left the school in 1972 to join Fyffes as an engineering cadet and spent a further 2 years in Hull at the Polytechnic in Queens Gardens completing part 1 of the HND in marine engineering. Good times
Was in Hull last year and the old school is still there but I think it is a community centre now. From what I remember the Boulevard School and Trinity House became amalgamated not long after I left and all moved to the Trinity House site.
Chris Clarke - Ripon
Old 15th December 2011, 21:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cj54 View Post
Hi I new to the site and I am captivated by the topics and information found.
I attended the Boulevard High School for Nautical Training from 1968 to 1972 and Nobby Clarke also taught us signals. The Head was Capt Allison, Capt Jones taught Navigation, could do with a bit of help with the other teachers that were there over that time period I attended. Thanks
I left the school in 1972 to join Fyffes as an engineering cadet and spent a further 2 years in Hull at the Polytechnic in Queens Gardens completing part 1 of the HND in marine engineering. Good times
Was in Hull last year and the old school is still there but I think it is a community centre now. From what I remember the Boulevard School and Trinity House became amalgamated not long after I left and all moved to the Trinity House site.
Chris Clarke - Ripon
Could that be the Chris Clarke I last saw what seems like 100 years ago in Ripon?
If so, hello, must catch up on all those missing years.
John Needham - Ex Ripon- Ex Boulevard 1956 - 1959. Still alive!!!!
Old 29th January 2012, 21:39

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrymagpie View Post
We have had a reunion of our Second Mates (HNC 1976) course for the passed few years.
We meet up at the old college steps at noon on the Saturday and repair to the Old White Harte for 'liquid' lunch and 'swing the lantern'.
A few of the old lecturers turn up. (last year we had Jim Hawkins, Dave Martin, Frank Barrett, George West and Alan Hodgson)
This years gathering is on 25/26 September.
Course members who attend include Messers Vitty,Gudgeon,Bryce,Brown,Hardy,Brittain, Clegg,Simpson, Marsh,Smuff et al.

Mike Bartle

Hi Mike,
What about Osler, Rigg, Sharp, Barker, Lees, Dean, Brasier, Harrison, Ansley, Healy, Hamilton, Meek, Winning, Parkinson. Who have I forgotten? should get then all back together again, a good class of '76.

Alec Ambury
Old 30th January 2012, 13:02

Hi Alec

Long time no see. Hope you are keeping well. Messers Rigg and Osler have been to the reunions, but not been able to contact the others.You have a good memory. I think I could have remembered the same ones as you, but struggling to remember the rest.

Regards

Mike
Old 22nd February 2012, 20:50
Department: Navigation

I was there when Ivan D Allison (I think) was the boss, Weatherstone was I am not sure what discipline but sort of next man down. I remember him sending someone up the mast on the parade ground there as a disciplinary measure, with a bucket and brush and sponge to wash the nast down. When the lad was up there, he looked up and shouted "Get on with it" and was deluged when the lad wrung the sponge out on him. He found it quite difficult not to smile, the culprit was quite a joker.

I wanted a reference for an application to Alfred Holts and Allison wouldn't give me one, he said they reserved them for top pupils (I really wasn't), I applied without and had an interview with them and got a middies post.

We did have some real laughs, I can only remember a very few names, Carless, Doyle and that is about it.

Friday afternoons was ropework and splicing, after some basic stuff we used to do a wire eye-splice in 6 strand wire (called a Liverpool locking splice, I think). When you had done that tou could go. I have always (and still do) loved knots, rope and splices, and Icould do a splice to pass grade in about 10 min. I reckon I could still do it now, given a practice, just don't fight the pre-forming in the wire and it does itself. Hitchhike back to Leeds in about 2 hours, good break and hitch back on Sunday.
Old 23rd February 2012, 08:39
Organisation: Royal Fleet Auxilary
Department: Deck
Active: 1958 - 2002

Boulevardiers,
I was at the BNS September 1956 - November 1958 and left to join the Hain SS I retired in 2002.
Will there be a re-union this year and where?

Yours aye,

slick
Old 23rd February 2012, 19:22

I was at BSN 63 to 66, ............. re-union, why not, anyone else up for this.
Or would it be just slick and myself to meet up in Georges, (the Barbers shop)
Old 23rd February 2012, 21:50

Poking my brain has brought up some other things. We used to go one evening a week to build an Enterprise, to build up the 3 or 4 at Welton, where we used to sail them. I think I must have hit all the bad days for sailing, I didn't get anywhere with it, despite later (age 50 and on ) really enjoying sailing Lasers, GP14s, Toppers (really a little heavy for them), Wayfarers and, a dear love if sailed solo with quite a bit of wind, Drascombe Luggers.

We also used to do an afternoons boatwork with a clinker built whaler, 6 oars and launched from swinging davits in one of the docks in Hull. Dipping lug sail and quite good fun, we did a trip out of the dock into the Humber, muddy old river, some had got stuck other times and missed the tide to get back in, so spent time waiting, I never had that but I would think the 8hours (a guess) waiting could be cold and tedious. There was a motor version, one weekend I went with one of the lecturers to fetch it back from up river (possibly Selby) after a repair.
For various reasons, my memory of those times are quite wobbly, any corrections or whatever received happily.

I got my uniform fro Rapstones, Land of Green Ginger and the jacket was still good 30 odd years later, when I had to throw it away having out grown it. Farming sent me from about 36 chest to 46 chest!

There was a place near rapstones that had Charts and such stuff, and we used to pore through the outdated and non-upgradeable charts for decorative ones that were cheap posters for the wall. Supercars, supermodels, ladies scratching there bums whilst playin tennis? No, a chart of an island was tops.

Oh, add two names, John Dawe/Dore, from Ampleforth, only wanted to join BI, and Hesp, had lived in India.

Last edited by Farmer John; 23rd February 2012 at 21:53..
Old 24th February 2012, 10:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Farmer John View Post
Poking my brain has brought up some other things. We used to go one evening a week to build an Enterprise, to build up the 3 or 4 at Welton, where we used to sail them. I think I must have hit all the bad days for sailing, I didn't get anywhere with it, despite later (age 50 and on ) really enjoying sailing Lasers, GP14s, Toppers (really a little heavy for them), Wayfarers and, a dear love if sailed solo with quite a bit of wind, Drascombe Luggers.

We also used to do an afternoons boatwork with a clinker built whaler, 6 oars and launched from swinging davits in one of the docks in Hull. Dipping lug sail and quite good fun, we did a trip out of the dock into the Humber, muddy old river, some had got stuck other times and missed the tide to get back in, so spent time waiting, I never had that but I would think the 8hours (a guess) waiting could be cold and tedious. There was a motor version, one weekend I went with one of the lecturers to fetch it back from up river (possibly Selby) after a repair.
For various reasons, my memory of those times are quite wobbly, any corrections or whatever received happily.

I got my uniform fro Rapstones, Land of Green Ginger and the jacket was still good 30 odd years later, when I had to throw it away having out grown it. Farming sent me from about 36 chest to 46 chest!

There was a place near rapstones that had Charts and such stuff, and we used to pore through the outdated and non-upgradeable charts for decorative ones that were cheap posters for the wall. Supercars, supermodels, ladies scratching there bums whilst playin tennis? No, a chart of an island was tops.

Oh, add two names, John Dawe/Dore, from Ampleforth, only wanted to join BI, and Hesp, had lived in India.
I remember Rapstones down Posterngate near the shipping offices. The shop selling charts could have been Cookes in Market Square (they are still on the go). We used to go upstairs and buy cheap or sometimes free out of date or cancelled charts to practice our chartwork on.
Old 24th February 2012, 22:14

That sounds about right, The Land of Green Ginger thing was perhaps a false memory. Cookes sounds exactly right.

Incidentally, I did do some chart work for an RYA qualification fairly recently, I got 100% on all the stuff we did, well taught! I don't live that far from Hull and nearly ended up there accidentally when coming back from some coastal survey work. Anyone recommend a visit? If so, any tips where to go.

Thanks RayJordandpo.
Old 12th March 2012, 00:16

Nobody recommends a trip to Hull then.
Old 17th April 2012, 13:22
Active: 1978 - 1995

I Was There Mike Eckersley From Warrington Always In Trouble Bottom Of The Class Somehow Passed Maths Worked For Ksc Lived In Gardeners Arms 78 81
Old 17th April 2012, 13:43
Active: 1978 - 1995

Mike Eckersley I Was There Best Pal On Phase3 Was Phase 1 Steve Mcdonald . I Was Bottom Of The Classs But Somehow Passed Exams Big Steve Dinsdale From Hull Was In My Class And A Farmer Type Guy With A Spitfire Car
Old 31st July 2012, 23:55
Active: 1977 - 1982

Hull 1997 to 1981

I was at Hull during my cadetship.

Memories are a little vague re the academic side but I remember the world class chip butties in the cafe, a 1960's themed strip club at lunchtimes (am I dreaming - that can not be real!!), living in college halls of residence, playing rugby for the college team, grab a granny night in town where the trawlermen's wives would come out to play when hubby was away at sea, looking over my shoulder in town when hubby came home, The Gardeners, living over a fish and chip shop with the rugby boys, a Arab student who tragically commited suicide, the Zooee pub crawl, a college nightclub on Friday Nights, lots of female student teachers, fire and helicopter training and rowing a boat for some reason in the freezing cold.

I am struggling to remember the names of people who were on my course: Frank a great scottish guy who was I believe a karate black belt, Gary Moffit who I sailed with in Bank Line - he was mugged in Cape Town and suffered extensive injuries....to his knuckles. A stocky Yorkshire man called Clegg, a trawlerman called Jim and then my memory fails me. Probably because the Zooee was our normal way home after a hard day at college.

Great times - youth is wasted on the young.
Old 14th August 2012, 18:04
Active: 1968 - 1983

Hull Nautical College

Hi everyone,

I was at the imfamous college for 2nd mates thro to masters from 1974 to 1982 , all of the names of the lecturers mentioned bring back fond memories. They were really good times.
Old 15th October 2012, 20:46
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1970 - 1973

I attended The Boulevard Nautical School 1969 to 1970 before leaving to join United Towing Company. Remember Capt Allison as head. Our form master was Johnny Mahon. Took us for geography and P.E. Evil bugger he was. Any wrong-doing in class and he would bend you over with your head about a foot from the wall. He would then whack you with a sandshoe on your backside. Your momentum would then make you headbutt the wall. A double whammy. Remember Nobby Clark for signals, Mr Flavell, cannot remember his subject.

Most of the lads were from out of town, can only remember the Hull lads, Kevin Moore, Kevin Marshall, Frank Thompson. Enjoyed my time there.
Old 15th October 2012, 21:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paulh54 View Post
I attended The Boulevard Nautical School 1969 to 1970 before leaving to join United Towing Company. Remember Capt Allison as head. Our form master was Johnny Mahon. Took us for geography and P.E. Evil bugger he was. Any wrong-doing in class and he would bend you over with your head about a foot from the wall. He would then whack you with a sandshoe on your backside. Your momentum would then make you headbutt the wall. A double whammy. Remember Nobby Clark for signals, Mr Flavell, cannot remember his subject.

Most of the lads were from out of town, can only remember the Hull lads, Kevin Moore, Kevin Marshall, Frank Thompson. Enjoyed my time there.
That is some years after I attended (1964?). I sounds quite weird, the idea of corporal punishment when I was there seems totally alien. The whole ethos was that you were young men, punishment was things like washing down the mock mast they had, cutting grass wit a pair of scissors and laying it out neatly in a box. All applied with humour and quite often turned to a joke.

Was there a mass change in ideas? The only person I found hostile and very distant was Ivan D Allison. We had to pick companies to apply to, max two, I put down Blue Flue, he called me in and told me "we reserve this company for our best pupils, I won't give you a reference". I applied anyway, went for interview with the company and was told they could not tell me at interview, but here is a set of company buttons.

I remember we built an Enterprise (sailing dinghy) on evening sessions, and sailed them up on Welton Waters. One a year built, we had about 5, the guy who took us was Mr. Weatherspon, I think The idea of being spanked with a slipper is bizarre, we knew we were training for a career and no longer little kids. Freezing days rowing and sailing a whaleboat round one of the docks, launched from swinging davits and, if the tide was right, out on the Humber where you learnt lots about mud.

I know this is repeating stuff from further up. Just don't read it twice.

Last edited by Farmer John; 15th October 2012 at 23:37..
Old 13th November 2012, 11:11
Active: 1970 - 1974

the boulevard 1970

hi i was at the boulevard nautical college 1970 captain weatherstone was in charge cpt littlewood paul banks
Old 13th November 2012, 21:24

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymoors4444 View Post
hi i was at the boulevard nautical college 1970 captain weatherstone was in charge cpt littlewood paul banks
Anything else you remember about things you did at College? Did you go out on the docks rowing Whalers, or sailing at Welton?
Old 14th November 2012, 09:55
Active: 1970 - 1974

boulevard 1970

yes i went to welton waters we had to get the bus or walk we used to go down to the school near the flyover for our dinner coming back one day my friend started throwing his cap in the air captain littlewood saw him and pinned him up against the railings and pulled his arm back nearly broke it i sat on front middle desk with graham pepper captain weatherstone would stand at front fag in mouth boat work on docks capt littlewood doug geometry lifesaving madley street or albert ave i dont remeber any one apart from graham and a lad from lithuania divelis my dad was a captain and studied at the boulevard he had a fight with a farm lad and won he was brought up at the newland homes and said the only way you could survive at homes not get picked on was to box i wasnt a fighter i had the ajax and brush iniation to the merchant navy paul banks january 1970 tranee navigation officer the boulevard

Last edited by nymoors4444; 14th November 2012 at 09:58..
Old 16th July 2014, 18:49
Active: 1970 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl Wadkin View Post
Hi,
Anyone remember their mugs from this photo taken near the end of the 2nd Mates ticket course in 1973, I think?
I'm in the white pullover but can't remember any one else's name, though I recall the guy at back second left was of German origin.
We had the luxury of a terraced house on Anlaby Road, quite a step up from the Newland's Homes digs on our first visit to the college in '71 when Dick Snape was a fellow student.
Cannot remember all their names but from back left Sam?, myself Pete Nieschmidt,Mark Connor, ?, Kevin Holden, Tim Franklin, ?, Keith Shears, Yourself and finally Eric Mears. Where they are now I know not. I lasted until 1975 with Houlder Bros then until 1986 with what finished up as UASC. Now feet up and retired. Surfing the net for past memories I came upon your piece, nice to hear from you.
Old 16th July 2014, 19:05
Active: 1970 - 1986

Quote:
Originally Posted by nymoors4444 View Post
yes i went to welton waters we had to get the bus or walk we used to go down to the school near the flyover for our dinner coming back one day my friend started throwing his cap in the air captain littlewood saw him and pinned him up against the railings and pulled his arm back nearly broke it i sat on front middle desk with graham pepper captain weatherstone would stand at front fag in mouth boat work on docks capt littlewood doug geometry lifesaving madley street or albert ave i dont remeber any one apart from graham and a lad from lithuania divelis my dad was a captain and studied at the boulevard he had a fight with a farm lad and won he was brought up at the newland homes and said the only way you could survive at homes not get picked on was to box i wasnt a fighter i had the ajax and brush iniation to the merchant navy paul banks january 1970 tranee navigation officer the boulevard
I was at the Boulevard pre-sea from 68-70. The gang leaving in 69 were captained by Mick Lanrick. One lad Geof Burns was known as bwana because of his fat lips. On the way into Welton Geof ran after Bill Littlewood's Morris estate shouting 'oscar'. That was Bill's nickname and a fist flying through the open window caught Geof square on the chin, laugh we nearly died. If we brown nosed we got a lift otherwise it was out with the thumb. Sailing was followed by a pint at the Green Dragon in Welton before the last bus back to Hull...