Stag Line Shipping North Shields - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
17:03

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Stag Line Shipping North Shields

User Tag List

Old 24th December 2009, 06:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeh_001au View Post
Hello Stag Line crew...

I have just joined the list and feeling my way around, looking for information on Stag Line. My interest is through my late father, Capt (William) Raymond Hunter.

Already I have seen names that I recall and ships that I visited or sailed on as a child - Zinnia (SS), Cydonia, Gloxinia, Begonia, Ixia, Zinnia (mv)...

...Hughie Shotten (was my job to watch out for black smoke out of the funnel and promptly ring the engine room to get Hughie to take his socks off the boiler); Cyril Bradley (always smiling and fixing things); Shaun Highland (taught me navigation, how to use a sextant, learned and raised the flags); spanish bosun (Cydonia, 1967) taught me rope work, splicing and started on wire-hawser before leaving ship), Stan Fuller (ice-cream, jam sandwiches and tea with strange-tasting milk from a can)...all good folk and happy memories.
Hi
Patrick Hyland here (Shaun's son) Dad married my mum Rosemary and adopted the three of us (always up for a challenge was dad!) he moved on from Stag to the RFA and then relocated us to South Africa where he sailed for Safmarine on a variety of general cargo, bulk and container ships. Most of his career as master was spent on the Big Whites (SA Sederberg et al). As I recall Dad always thought of Capt. Hunter as a bit of a mentor to him.
Unfortunately, Dad passed away 5 years ago.
Anyway that's my bit...also new here and feeling my way around.
Regards
Old 27th December 2009, 14:12

My location
Stag Line Shipping North Shields

Hi Patrick Your Dad and I were very good Mates and sailed together on quite a few of Stag Line ships.
I left Stag Line in 1966 and lost touch with Shaun, but I did meet him a few years later when he was Mate on the Cydonia which was berthed in Belfast.
I did hear from Harry Mountain that he had passed away. Bill
Old 14th November 2013, 20:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1969 - 1984

Joined Stag line in 1970, Camellia first and 2nd trip, then Ixia for 9 months, Gloxinia on a Great Lakes charter. Duluth to Halifax and back all season with grain and an occasional Flourspar cargo through the straits of Canso. Then Zinnia for two trips finishing on the Begonia for Stag Line. Ended up on the Bessegan on the paper trail before being ship wrecked by Bella Coola shipping and Huntings'!!!!!!!!
Old 22nd May 2014, 15:24
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - Present

Alf East

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Seeking Info On This Company Plus Any X Crew Members Who Worked On These Ships Rob
I sailed on the Photinia maiden voyage as Junior engineer April 1960. (See earlier post 2012.) After standing by as it was being commissioned at Readheads. The only guy I can remember on board was Bill Hays the other junior. Not long after that it was converted to a cable layer. I had left Stag earlier and joined the Iron Barque (Common Bros. )
Old 23rd May 2014, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLUMB View Post
I sailed on the Photinia maiden voyage as Junior engineer April 1960. (See earlier post 2012.) After standing by as it was being commissioned at Readheads. The only guy I can remember on board was Bill Hays the other junior. Not long after that it was converted to a cable layer. I had left Stag earlier and joined the Iron Barque (Common Bros. )
Well, Alfie you have spelled my name wrong, it's Hayes,. I remember the Masters name was Freeman and I think the C/E was called Clements and the 2nd/E was the C/E's nephew. The 3/E's name was Richardson, I think. He used to live at the South Shields MN Club while he was on leave I saw him there once or twice. I joined the Iron Crown after leaving the Photinia and found we must have been paying way over the odds for beer on the Photinia , 28 shillings a case, it was only 18shillings a case on the Iron Crown.

Best wishes Bill
Old 23rd May 2014, 14:00

SS Zinnia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert View Post
Seeking Info On This Company Plus Any X Crew Members Who Worked On These Ships Rob
I was a catering boy on SS Zinnia from July to October 1960 got my Rating on there, regret leaving. Captain Hunter a really nice bloke. I paid off in Belfast. Ray Woodward

Last edited by Ray Woodward; 23rd May 2014 at 14:08.. Reason: Chap whose father was Captain Hunter
Old 23rd May 2014, 14:12

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamH View Post
Well, Alfie you have spelled my name wrong, it's Hayes,. I remember the Masters name was Freeman and I think the C/E was called Clements and the 2nd/E was the C/E's nephew. The 3/E's name was Richardson, I think. He used to live at the South Shields MN Club while he was on leave I saw him there once or twice. I joined the Iron Crown after leaving the Photinia and found we must have been paying way over the odds for beer on the Photinia , 28 shillings a case, it was only 18shillings a case on the Iron Crown.

Best wishes Bill
Yep. Sorry about spelling error, down to age. Your correct about Clements. I remember the 2nd also but I didnt know he was the nephew. Your memory is a lot better than mine. I cant think what the price of a case of beer was then.
As you were on the Iron Crown must have just you in Vitorio then.
Hope your all keeping well and the weather is better than here. Regards.
Alf.
Old 24th May 2014, 11:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Woodward View Post
I was a catering boy on SS Zinnia from July to October 1960 got my Rating on there, regret leaving. Captain Hunter a really nice bloke. I paid off in Belfast. Ray Woodward
Ray I think the Skipper of the Zinnia at the time was a relative of mine Laury Hopper who lived next door to me.
Old 26th March 2015, 13:56
Department: Deck
Active: 1979 - 1984

Hi.
I sailed on the M.V. IXIA in 1979 with captain Hunter. I sailed on the M.V. BEGONIA in 1980 with captain Collins. I sailed again on the M.V. IXIA in 1980 with captain Rawlings.
Old 26th March 2015, 20:11

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbob50 View Post
Hi.
I sailed on the M.V. IXIA in 1979 with captain Hunter. I sailed on the M.V. BEGONIA in 1980 with captain Collins. I sailed again on the M.V. IXIA in 1980 with captain Rawlings.
Captain Collins passed away about ten years ago
Old 4th April 2015, 14:48

gdynia.
Hi, my name is Brian Rowlings I see that you were with Stag Line from 1969 to 1978. I was there from 1971 to 1982 when I was made redundant as Huntings took over. I was wondering if you were on the Ixia from 17th Dec 1976 to 8th April 1977?. If so can you remember the ports we called at as my mind is a blank for that trip. Incidentally I was also on the Camellia as EDH in 1956. The ships were nothing to get excited about but the Robinson family were marvellous
people to work for. I am also trying to find out which ports the Ixia called at between 26th November 1981 to 5th February 1982. Anybody on her at that time? Regards, Brian Rowlings.
Old 4th April 2015, 14:55

Oceantramp.
Hi, I see we were shipmates on the Ixia. I am still trying to find out the ports we visited on the Ixia between 17 dec 1976 to 8th April 1977. and also 26th Nov 1981 and 5th Feb 1982. Can you help? I would be very grateful and will forgive you for misspelling my name. It's Rowlings not Rawlings. Best regards, Brian Rowlings.
Old 4th April 2015, 22:08
Department: Navigation
Active: 1970 - 1980

Brian

Was with Stag Line during your time.We met sometime, possibly on crew change. Cannot help you with your Ixia trip. I joined the Zinnia as 2nd mate December 13th 1976 at Bremen. Busy time for Ernie Lamb, two crew changes just before Christmas. I have the same problem with my first trip as third mate on the Gloxinia,01/01/74 Manchester to 29/05/74 Sunderland. Discharge book has leaving and joining continuous at Leith and Sunderland during that time but buggered if I can remember where we went between then. Time for detective work and process of elimination.

peter
Old 5th April 2015, 15:22

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by peter3807 View Post
Brian

Was with Stag Line during your time.We met sometime, possibly on crew change. Cannot help you with your Ixia trip. I joined the Zinnia as 2nd mate December 13th 1976 at Bremen. Busy time for Ernie Lamb, two crew changes just before Christmas. I have the same problem with my first trip as third mate on the Gloxinia,01/01/74 Manchester to 29/05/74 Sunderland. Discharge book has leaving and joining continuous at Leith and Sunderland during that time but buggered if I can remember where we went between then. Time for detective work and process of elimination.

peter
Stag Line Records are held at Blandford House, Blandford Square, Newcastle upon Tyne. Reference numbers 628, 1351. Regards Bill
Old 6th April 2015, 18:23
gdynia gdynia is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1970 - 2010

My location
Hi Peter i just looked at my old records i sailed with you on my first trip on Photinia i can remember Kevin Oniel was Third Mate Hughie Shotton was Second Engineer the other 2 cadets were Chris Brackenberry and Paul Dawson. Bill Sutherland was Master
Old 13th July 2015, 02:42

Clintonia Crew

image.jpg

My first contribution so apologies if this is not in the appropriate section
I have been watching, "War At Sea: Scotland's Story" on BBC 4. In the second part it shows film of the crew of the Clintonia. This was probably taken shortly before the ship was torpedoed and sunk in 1915 and 10 of the crew perished poor souls. Might be of interest to Stag Line enthusiasts but didn't notice footage of the ship at all.
Old 11th November 2015, 22:04

i sailed on gloxinia and zinnia too complete seatime for masters introduced to company by hugh selkirk from amble master of photinia when she laid cables across cook strait. is anybody in touch with hughie?

best wishes warren
Old 12th November 2015, 13:39

Unfortunately bad news, Hughie Selkirk passed away a few years ago now, I also served with him on Camellia & Zinnia
Old 12th November 2015, 16:45
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

In my BSC HQ days we imported scrap when needed, including American Battleship scrap from Florida...some of the sections were 10" thick, there was only one company to go for carriage as their vessel holds were ideal for this traffic. There was only one port able to handle this traffic,which was very slow discharge so the vessel would be fixed for Sunderland, which suited owners and crew.
It was not unusual for the loading to take a week or more and discharge sometimes took up to three weeks. I remember Gloxinia being chartered a couple of times in early 70's.

geoff

p.s. The scrap was then taken by rail to Special Steel Division in Rotherham and Sheffield.
Old 26th March 2018, 02:23

Stag Line......

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdynia View Post
Robert

9 years with Staggies 1969 t0 1978 vessels sailed on Zinnia,Ixia,Photinia and Gloxinia
Rgds Gdynia
Hello Robert, I did my first trip to sea on the Gloxinia, joining in Manchester, at brown and polsons wharf, August 1973, then on to Zinnia for 9 months, and then another 4 months on the Gloxinia, before going back on the pool, .......Many memories....
Old 26th March 2018, 05:49
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris mullaney View Post
Hello Robert, I did my first trip to sea on the Gloxinia, joining in Manchester, at brown and polsons wharf, August 1973, then on to Zinnia for 9 months, and then another 4 months on the Gloxinia, before going back on the pool, .......Many memories....
Now there is a memorable name, Briwn and Polsons of Paisley .
My mother used to swear by their corn flour and found it difficult to get during WW2. when we still relied on much from Britain .
looking up the company's history it is interesting to read that they were another company in the Sunlight soap mould, charitable and good to their staff.

Bob
Old 5th December 2018, 17:51
Active: 1972 - 2000

My location
I remember Jimmy Young when I was apprentice on the Photinia in 1975/6. He said that Stag Line expected me to move on to greater things. I never did. Just stayed on till the end.
Old 5th December 2018, 17:54
Active: 1972 - 2000

My location
Hi Nigel. Have met Steve Wrightson's son in recent years whilst I was lecturing at South Tyneside College. Syas Keith is working on offshore suppy/anchor handling.
Old 3rd February 2019, 18:11
Active: 1963 - 2014

I was at South Shields Marine & Tech between 1963 and 67 for Shell and we had two Stag line engineer apprentices in my class. One was called Alan Dixon and the other was Kevin something; I forget. Unlike everyone else Stag line wanted them to learn scuba diving; at that time the British Subaqua Club qualifying requirements were so stringent, swimming a long distance in clothing etc., that they never ever got to put on a scuba set.

Last I heard Alan was a Lloyd's surveyor.
Old 8th February 2019, 21:54

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bernie24 View Post
I was at South Shields Marine & Tech between 1963 and 67 for Shell and we had two Stag line engineer apprentices in my class. One was called Alan Dixon and the other was Kevin something; I forget. Unlike everyone else Stag line wanted them to learn scuba diving; at that time the British Subaqua Club qualifying requirements were so stringent, swimming a long distance in clothing etc., that they never ever got to put on a scuba set.

Last I heard Alan was a Lloyd's surveyor.
Did a lot of trips with Alan. Lost touch with most of the old Stag Line men.