Turnbull Scotts - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
03:20

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Turnbull Scotts

User Tag List

Old 3rd January 2008, 16:18

Jo - Sorry to hear of your Grandad - Captain Price's death.
Am forwarding info on the Eastgate collision.
Old 12th January 2008, 17:40

Turnbull Scott

Hi Joe,
Sorry to hear about your Grandad, I served with him in the Stonegate on its maiden trip, but left in 1963, You may try a chap called Mick Holland, he was with him in the Stonegate and may know a little more. Did your Grandad go back to Wales.By the way you may like to get hold of a copy of "A Shipping Venture" Turnbull Scott and Co 1872 to 1972. Interesting read.
Millerman
Old 12th January 2008, 20:20

Sorry to hear that Captain price has gone.
He was Master of The Stonegate when I joined as Second Engineer in Singapore in Sept. 1966. A larger than life character - a good seaman and a good tankerman.
He used to tell us that he was only at sea because his first job after school, at the railway station in his valley town, came to an end when he upset a paraffin lamp and burned down the wooden footbridge across the line.
I sailed with him several times on Stonegate and then Eastgate when I was getting in my steam time.
There were three masters who rotated the two tankers. Capt Price, Capt Richardson and Capt Ellerby. All three never to be forgotten!!
At the time of The Eastgate collision and fire I had moved on to job as Superintendent.
Ed.
Old 14th January 2008, 20:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomson View Post
Eastgate Collision 30th March 1973. (Hope this answers previous queries.)

0630 Eastgate anchored Hong Kong awaiting pilot.Local fog bank descended.
Departing cargo vessel Cirea direct hit Eastgate on starboardside No2 wing and centre tank.Undamaged Cirea withdrew.Eastgate spilling cargo ignited - sea ablaze.

Eastgate people all escaped to sea in vessels lifeboats and by jumping.
Rescued by a Chinese junk and police patrol boats and taken to nearest hospital.Very sadly three lives were lost.Vessel made safe by fire department and dockyard works at anchorage permitted towing to discharge berth.
Machinery restarted by a few ships engineers out of hospital. Cargo discharged and tankcleaning completed by the Captain and two mates also discharged from hospital.
In drydock vessel found twisted and declared a constructive total loss.

Eastgate and her compliment were totally faultless. All were outstanding and acts of extreme courage occured. Everyone a hero in the finest traditions of the British Merchant Service.
The collision took place while manouvering. The Engine-room log actually read "SBFIER" , slight bump felt in engine room. The main cause of the fire was the other ship involved pulling free from the collision. This caused a spark which resulted in fire and explosion.

The three souls [crew] who died, all drowned.

I sailed with a 2nd Engineer who suffered bad burns while he was a Junior Engineer during this accident.
Old 20th February 2008, 22:04

Ex Eastgate,Flowergate and Sungate

After leaving the T.S.Arethusa,I served my time as a Deck/Nav App from 1961,on the Eastgate,Sungate and Flowergate and remember some good times aboard those ships,if anyone out there remembers me,please drop me an e-mail

Cheers B.Kemp
Old 7th March 2008, 20:53

They also provided officers for the ANNALOCK and RANGELOCK for Wheelock Marden. The MARILOCK and ANNALOCK were gearless, the SEALOCK and RANGELOCK were geared. When Wheelocks ceased trading I think all the ships were arrested. RANGELOCK and ANNALOCK were laid up in Southampton. At the same time SEALOCK brought a cargo of coal to Southamtpon.

MARILOCK was renamed SYCEE amd I think SEALOCK was renamed QUORN

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Morris View Post
I Sailed as 3/E on the "Marilock" (panamax bulk carrier) twice between Oct 82 and Feb 84, Turnbulls were managing her and another ship (Sealock I think) for Wheelock Marden - Hong Kong. Anyone know what happened to these ships?
Old 7th March 2008, 21:11

Yes I remember Captains Ellerby and Price. Other Masters of the STONEGATE included Captains Thorne and Cooper, both from Yorkshire a tradtional recruiting area for Turnbull Scott

From memory I recall that Capt Ellerby died on board TRONGATE whilst the vessel was at anchor off Buenos Aires

yES Yes QUOTE=Ed.;177131]Sorry to hear that Captain price has gone.
He was Master of The Stonegate when I joined as Second Engineer in Singapore in Sept. 1966. A larger than life character - a good seaman and a good tankerman.
He used to tell us that he was only at sea because his first job after school, at the railway station in his valley town, came to an end when he upset a paraffin lamp and burned down the wooden footbridge across the line.
I sailed with him several times on Stonegate and then Eastgate when I was getting in my steam time.
There were three masters who rotated the two tankers. Capt Price, Capt Richardson and Capt Ellerby. All three never to be forgotten!!
At the time of The Eastgate collision and fire I had moved on to job as Superintendent.
Ed.[/QUOTE]
Old 18th March 2008, 22:47

Hi Jo.
Sorry to hear that your grandfather - Captain Price has passed away.
I sailed with him for two trips in the early 70s on the Eastgate, I was 4th engineer at the time.
In fact on new years eve in 1971 we were in Aukland and a phone had been installed on board and we were all making calls home, communications then were not as easy as today. I happened to be on the phone when Captain Price came into the room and he asked who I was talking to. It happened to be my mother, he asked if he could have a word, I handed him the phone and he wished her a happy new year and assured her that all was well. I think my mother was quite impressed by speaking to the captain. In fact news of that call even made our local paper.
Regards
Derek Scothern
Old 6th May 2008, 10:39
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 2015

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynesider View Post
They also provided officers for the ANNALOCK and RANGELOCK for Wheelock Marden. The MARILOCK and ANNALOCK were gearless, the SEALOCK and RANGELOCK were geared. When Wheelocks ceased trading I think all the ships were arrested. RANGELOCK and ANNALOCK were laid up in Southampton. At the same time SEALOCK brought a cargo of coal to Southamtpon.

MARILOCK was renamed SYCEE amd I think SEALOCK was renamed QUORN
To Tynesider,

Many thanks for the info, sorry I am late thanking you but just got back from a 5 month trip.
With your info I have been able to find out that the Marilock was still around last year as the "Edco Star" detained in Suez as unseaworthy then sold 12/10/07 for $16M "as is where is" to unknown buyer.

Tony
Old 7th May 2008, 20:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Morris View Post
To Tynesider,

Many thanks for the info, sorry I am late thanking you but just got back from a 5 month trip.
With your info I have been able to find out that the Marilock was still around last year as the "Edco Star" detained in Suez as unseaworthy then sold 12/10/07 for $16M "as is where is" to unknown buyer.

Tony
Thamks for the update on MARILOCK. Shw would be at least 25 years old and even in the eighties, ships were not built to last

Turnbulls had three geared small bulk carriers built in Appledore in 1976. I saw one of them in Southampton a few years ago and it was like meeting an old friend. They had Mirrlees engines and broke down all over the world
Old 9th May 2008, 13:01

Hi Sam.
Just Read Your Thread "Turnbull Scott" I was R/O On The M.V. Gela About
!972/73 Although It was Turnbull Scotts Ship management ,On The Run
from Hamburg To Mexico VW Charter. Rem Capt Maxi Simpson mate Brock
And 3/Eng Terry Gibson, No Longer With Us. Remember Good Trips On The
Gela. Does Anyone Remember Maxi Simpson? Would Like To Hear From Anyone
Who Sailed On The Gela

Thanks

Ro Vintage George Savage (Ex Marconi)
Old 9th May 2008, 22:09

Max Simpson worked in the Turnbull Scott office in Farnborough whilst I was working there. I joined Turnbull's 1977 and left in 1986. Cant remember when Max finished

Thw GELA had already gone when I joined in 1977. Didnt she have two sisters, MONICA and TERE?
Old 20th June 2008, 10:55

Turnbull Scott

Hello Jo,
I am also very sorry to hear of the death of your grandfather Captain Price. I sailed with him twice, both times on the Trongate. He was an excellent Captain and a tremendous personality, being both great fun and commanding a great deal of respect.

Regards,

Andrew.
Old 20th June 2008, 12:02

Turnbull Scott - General

I have just come across this site while looking for references to some of the ships i sailed on. I joined Turnbull's in 1977 as a cadet and left in 1983 as 2nd mate.

As well as Captain Price I remember Captains Thorne and Cooper very well. They were both fine Captains who disliked each other in equal measure. Captain Thorn could be harsh and some of the stories were the stuff of legend. I liked him a lot and would be interested if anyone has any news of him. He knew the Stonegate like the back of his hand and woe betide cadets who did not pass muster on his quite frequent tests. Choice epithets would flow poetically and loudly. He had a vague notion once of setting up a restaurant with Terry Deighton. Terry told me the gist of it was that he (Terry) would do the work while Ken 'mingled' with the guests. Now there's an image. Terry was a super bloke. We were once travelling in a bus somewhere. There was a fair crowd of us including someone's wife and a cadet using a lot of particulary fould language. Someone asked Terry to stop the cadet behaving in such a manner which Terry duly did with clip round the ear and a "****ing pack it in".

I am in touch with Captain Coopers son Peter who did his cadetship a little before me. Through him I have bits of news of Paul Myers, now a Master with Stolt Line, and Steve Donkersley, now a Chief Officer with RFA. Pete and I have occasionally made plans to meet up but have never quite made it.

I am in close contact with Mike Bailey who like me works in IT. We meet up a couple of times a year and reminisce with vigour. I am sure there will be a few people who remember Paddy Shrimpton. He is domiciled American (I think one of his parents was American but I'm not certain), is still mad keen on Rugby and is head of safety with Chevron tankers.

I also remember Captain Troczska a big bear of a man whose wish was to have been in the Polish paratroop regiment in the war. He railed bitterly aganst those authorities who put him in the Merchant Navy. He did not forgive the Germans for what they did to Poland and discussing things German were best avoided. He was another excellent Captain. His wife sailed part of the trip with him and she was as small as he was huge, or maybe it was just relitive and time is confusing my memory. They clearly adored each other. The other thing I particularly remember about him was his fondness for John Steinbeck novels.

On the subject of Poland didn't Captain Price sail in the war on Polish ships. He certainly liked the Poles a lot and was still angered by the way the Allies had treated them.

I sailed quite a lot with Captain Odd who was made Master at a very young age. He was great. Helpful, demanding in a balanced way and good fun.

On the engineering side I remember Chief Engineer Frank Graham particulaly well. We used to play cribbage most evenings. I used to win (that's my story anyway) and every night he would tell me how rubbish I was. Fantastic. He was another great character and a very nice man, though it did take me the best part of my first trip with him to get used to him.

I sailed on the Skeldergate several times both as Skeldergate and Cabo Azul. In fact the Skeldergate was my last trip which I rounded off with a certain symmetry when I threw the heaving line lock stock and barrel into the water. A rather dry witted dock worker asked me deadpan if I was supposed to do that. I had done exactly the same thing about seven years earlier on my first trip, the Saltersgate. I'd like to think that I did a few things correctly in the years betwen.

Apart from the Skeldergate and Saltersgate I sailed on the Southgate, the Stonegate, the Trongate and Marilock.

If anyone has any news of those I mentioned above or indeed anyone else who was in Turnbull's around that time I would be really interested. It might be through the rose tinted glasses of time lapsed but I had a great few years in Turnbull's and met some splendid people and many true characters.

Andrew.
Old 20th June 2008, 14:04

anybody know the whereabouts of Nick White who was with Turnbulls mid 70's to mid 80's as second mate and mate. I remember him sailing on the chemical tankers and Trongate.

regards
Dave
Old 20th June 2008, 16:42

There is a good photo of the Stainless Patriot here
http://www.shawsavillships.co.uk/patriot.htm
I worked on board her several times,repairing compressed air breathing apparatus, both in Birkenhead and in Rotterdam, got to know the crew pretty well, and often went for a few jars with them.
She seemed to be a happy ship at that time, 1980.
Regards,
Pat
Old 22nd June 2008, 19:00

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tynesider View Post
Max Simpson worked in the Turnbull Scott office in Farnborough whilst I was working there. I joined Turnbull's 1977 and left in 1986. Cant remember when Max finished

Thw GELA had already gone when I joined in 1977. Didnt she have two sisters, MONICA and TERE?
The Gela was originaly "Arlington Court" renamed "Southgate" when purchased by TS and then "Gela" when chartered to TMM.
Monica and Tere were smaller, each about 3,000 tons dwt. Purpose built with Union Purchase derricks for discharging cargo at anchor in the swell conditions of the Mexican Pacific ports.
Ed.

Last edited by Ed.; 23rd June 2008 at 06:59..
Old 24th June 2008, 10:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1971 - 2015

To "Storm"

Frank Graham ended up with Transocean Shipmanagement / J T Essberger from 1992 until 2004ish when he retired, he was perminant C/E on the cement carrier "Helvetia" - I used to relieve him from time to time, was still telling every one that they were rubbish. Do not think he will appear on this site as he hated computers.

From my time on the "Marilock" still remember one great capt., John Werner who one christmas bought all the officers a present, I got a magnetic bottle / can opener, do you think he was trying to tell me something??? Any idea where he is now?

Tony
Old 28th June 2008, 21:43

My location
Can any one help please. I joined the GREEN PARK,as 4th engineer, at anchor in Lagos with a gargo of railway sleepers.Whilst alongside in Lagos we had to collect stores from a T.S. just ahead of us,the name of which fails me.I was the unlucky soul in the life boat doing the ferrying work. After that we sailed light ship to Port Royal (in South Carolina) to load chalk? for Ancona in Italy. Try as I might I cannot find any reference anywhere for the Green Park. Any information would be gladly recieved,especially a photograph
Regards Jim
Old 29th June 2008, 20:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Prophet View Post
Can any one help please. I joined the GREEN PARK,as 4th engineer, at anchor in Lagos with a gargo of railway sleepers.Whilst alongside in Lagos we had to collect stores from a T.S. just ahead of us,the name of which fails me.I was the unlucky soul in the life boat doing the ferrying work. After that we sailed light ship to Port Royal (in South Carolina) to load chalk? for Ancona in Italy. Try as I might I cannot find any reference anywhere for the Green Park. Any information would be gladly recieved,especially a photograph
Regards Jim

The Southgate, Sandgate and Green Park, identical sisters, were built by Appledore Shipbuilders and delivered in 1976. The Green Park was managed by TS for another owner (Owner of Hyde park, Holland Park and Regents Park)
He had wanted to name this ship the "Syon Park". In light of the political situation at the time in the middle east this would have caused enormous problems. Turnbulls were fortunately able to disuade him.
Green Park was later purchased by Turnbulls and renamed Saltersgate. I am not sure exactly when this was, but I attended her as Saltersgate on 1st Nov. 77 at Porto Marghera and have the standard photo of her passing the Venice waterfront, with that name on the bow.
She was sold in Oct 1982 to Coldport of Kingston, Jamaica (Ishmael Robertson) Handed over at Vlissingen. (can't remember the new name)
New owners had a government contract to run grain from Houston to jamaica.
However they were unable to keep the Mirlees Engine running and Chief Engineer Roger Bedson and Second Engineer Alan Jonston joined the vessel, at first on loan, but later as permanent Coldport employees.
Ed.
Old 29th June 2008, 22:35

I think SALTERSGATE was renamed HERMENIA or something very similar when she was sold to Coldport. From memory all three sisters loadied railway sleepers from Workington to Apapa Lagos and were anchored off for many months. Due to piracy in the area culninating in the death of one of the officers on the LINDINGER IVORY (sp?), many ships were allowed to sail at night and then return to the anchorage in the morning

These ships regularily loaded kaolin clay in the States for Italian ports such as Monfalcone and Ancona. The Mirrlees engines were very unreliable and caused break down in many places included Acapulco and Lisbon. I understand that Appledore Shipbuilders normally fitted Pielstick engines but Mirrlees ones were chosen instead

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed. View Post
The Southgate, Sandgate and Green Park, identical sisters, were built by Appledore Shipbuilders and delivered in 1976. The Green Park was managed by TS for another owner (Owner of Hyde park, Holland Park and Regents Park)
He had wanted to name this ship the "Syon Park". In light of the political situation at the time in the middle east this would have caused enormous problems. Turnbulls were fortunately able to disuade him.
Green Park was later purchased by Turnbulls and renamed Saltersgate. I am not sure exactly when this was, but I attended her as Saltersgate on 1st Nov. 77 at Porto Marghera and have the standard photo of her passing the Venice waterfront, with that name on the bow.
She was sold in Oct 1982 to Coldport of Kingston, Jamaica (Ishmael Robertson) Handed over at Vlissingen. (can't remember the new name)
New owners had a government contract to run grain from Houston to jamaica.
However they were unable to keep the Mirlees Engine running and Chief Engineer Roger Bedson and Second Engineer Alan Jonston joined the vessel, at first on loan, but later as permanent Coldport employees.
Ed.
Old 20th October 2008, 10:04

Andrew

I sailed as 3/E with C/E Frank Graham on the chemical tanker STAINLESS SPRAY way back in 1987. As you have mentioned, it took a while to know him and what a wonderful person he turned out to be. Understand that he has now retired, but could you please give me his contact details if possible. Also sailed with C/E Ian Murcott, Capt. James Hirst, Capt. Ian Odd, 2/E Pringle & 2/E Ian Goodall. Any news on them.

Earlier in 1986 , I sailed as 4/E on the SYCEE ( ex MARILOCK) with a wonderful crowd which included Capt. Falconer, C/E Phil Chandler, 2/E Mike Beech, 3/E Ian Webster, C/O Lawrence Aye Maung.

After my stint on the STAINLESS SPRAY , I joined as 2/E on SAINT CLOUD. By then most of the old crowd had left TURNBULL. Eddie Green was the Technical Supereintendent for all the above vessels.

Raymond
Old 20th October 2008, 11:11
"Sock Puppet" account of you know who

Lawrence Aye Maung is now Examiner of Master's and Mates based in Crosby, Liverpool. A real gentleman.
Old 20th October 2008, 12:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Prophet View Post
Regards Jim
GREEN PARK was one of a trio built at Appledore to a design formulated for Jebsens Norway and originally ordered by them. The contracts were sold to TS / Park Steamship and design amended to suit the new owner requirements. GREEN PARK was managed by TS and was subsequently purchased and renamed into line with her 2 sisters. All ended up with S names. SANDGATE, SALTERSGATE and another which escapes me at present, being away from my records. Possibly SOUTHGATE. Which was ex GREEN PARK I cannot say at present.

Hope this helps
Old 20th October 2008, 13:15

My location
All, can anyone remember the "ESKDALEGATE" in I think July 1977,when she was running stone from bigger ships at anchor to the then little port of of Owendo in Gabon.

It was during this period that I was serving as 3/0 in "SPANISH WASA"
carring stone from Bar in Yugoslavia to Owendo.The Eskdalegate was in a sorry state with little or no food and fast running out of diesel.

They were so glad to see a british ship arrive,that we had to make what I think was an inter company transfer of goods to Turnball Scott,Shortly after,
Eskdalegate did a runner for Freetown in Sierra Leone.Not sure if the charter had finished or not at the time.