500 Khz in the 70's - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
21:37

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

500 Khz in the 70's

User Tag List

Old 4th July 2014, 23:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1975 - 1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31552 View Post
try this link

https://archive.org/details/HandbookForRadioOperators

1975 edition

links to the downloadable content at top left of page
That is excellent. Thank you very much!
Old 5th July 2014, 04:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Just found this and don't think it has been on before.
Lsn closely KR!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RRak_yBhrwA
I think this recording is fabricated. It is not real. I've never heard the like on 500.

Duncs
Old 5th July 2014, 06:18

Was looking for clues myself as there seems little ship activity and I've never called QRZ? from a coast station.
The morse from each coast station does seem to be very similar keying and far from perfectionist but if the transcript is a fake then one has to admit very cleverly done.
Can anyone with a "dicky-dapple" give me the name of ELML that Portpatrick is calling?

Last edited by R651400; 5th July 2014 at 09:28..
Old 5th July 2014, 09:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31552 View Post
try this link

https://archive.org/details/HandbookForRadioOperators

1975 edition

links to the downloadable content at top left of page
That looks like the tatty old one I had (and threw out). Orange cover?
Old 5th July 2014, 09:35

I don't think it was recorded all in one go. It seems to be genuine recordings that have been strung together. That's definitely Niton's transmitter as I remember it.
Old 5th July 2014, 09:38

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Vicar View Post
Orange cover.
Old 5th July 2014, 09:43

Lots of morsey noises here

http://archive.org/search.php?query=...arrl.net%22%29
Old 5th July 2014, 09:56

Quote:
Originally Posted by endure View Post
Bit like listening to ghosts? 50 year old morse? Not good morse at that!

The one I'm listening to is US Eastern seaboard, v.quiet compared to N sea, remember the dash to get on after the 3 minutes silence (+/- 15mins?) to one of the local stations!

Last edited by Dave the Vicar; 5th July 2014 at 10:03..
Old 5th July 2014, 18:31

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Vicar View Post
The Blue one. Orange was the previous issue ISTR.

Its certainly not as tatty as my own one; mostly sellotape now.
Old 6th July 2014, 06:49

Link is PCH's final 500 khz message 31st December 1988 with replying stations that will give some idea of the different notes used by GB coast stations. GDBC was the ferry Hoek van Holland.

http://radiogaga.e-dentify.nl/pa3abk/media/PCHfinal.mp3
Old 6th July 2014, 10:57
King Ratt

My location
Nice one R651400. I had not heard this clip before. VMT.

KR
Old 6th July 2014, 12:01

Don't think the msg was hand keyed KR but there you are.
Ref GPK's closure message and as an alternative to Yt...
The ROA website perhaps?
Old 7th July 2014, 01:35
Active: 1942 - 1956

R651400 Thank you.Just listened to that PCH clip and replies from so many old familiar coast stations to him. Marvellous! Was hand done I'm sure. Ex R/O soon to be 90,I could and did read every word.. Didn't need to write it down. Remarkable how easy to mind read such perfect morse code. Takes me back to old days '42 - '56. Cheers, Eric
Old 7th July 2014, 05:01

If it was Eric it was beautifully keyed unlike my video in posting 1!
Worked at GND and GCC and only learned since being on SN the variation in GB coast station notes was because of a slight frequency offset from 500 kcs as opposed to changing the frequency of modulation. GCC's was certainly very distinctive.
Old 7th July 2014, 06:50
Active: 1980 - 1991

The slightly different freq was intentional, from memory.

It certainly worked well.
Old 7th July 2014, 06:53

Of course, you all do know that the UK was, in fact, in breach of SOLAS by closing the 500 service in 98.

The GMDSS did not come into full effect until 1 Feb 99, so ships were fully within their rights to maintain the 500 service until then...

The Aussie stations closed on 1 Feb 99.
Old 7th July 2014, 07:57
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
Of course, you all do know that the UK was, in fact, in breach of SOLAS by closing the 500 service in 98.

The GMDSS did not come into full effect until 1 Feb 99, so ships were fully within their rights to maintain the 500 service until then...
The GMDSS came into force in 1992 but, as a concession, shipowners were allowed to retain (but not install) and operate non-GMDSS radio stations aboard ships until February 1999. So whether or not they did so was a matter of choice permitted under the concession.

Of course all coast stations were purely voluntary provisions - no country was obliged to provide any coast stations whatsover! The Radio Regulations and SOLAS only ever mandated what safety radio equipment Merchant ships carried and what radio watches they maintained. SOLAS made no reference to coast stations and the RR only specified how a coast station should be operated if any country should decide to provide one.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 7th July 2014, 08:45

As you said, Ron, ships were allowed to retain their W/T stations until 1 Feb 99.

Flag states were thus obliged to provide the corresponding shore infrastructure until that date.

Which is why we kept our W/T service in Australia until the full implementation of GMDSS.

The MCA dropped the ball.
Old 7th July 2014, 10:09

Quote:
It certainly worked well.
Without question.
Old 7th July 2014, 11:35

My location
Quote:
As you said, Ron, ships were allowed to retain their W/T stations until 1 Feb 99.

Flag states were thus obliged to provide the corresponding shore infrastructure until that date.
Do you have a source citation for that obligation?

Quote:
Which is why we kept our W/T service in Australia until the full implementation of GMDSS.
As I said earlier, that was purely a matter of choice/preference/politics for Australia, since neither they nor any other country were required to do so by SOLAS or the Radio Regulations.

In 1977 at IMO it had been decided to adopt the proposed FGMDSS (Future Global Maritime Distress and Safety System) and to introduce it (as the GMDSS) in 1987, so as to give the industry 10 years to get things in place. The promoters of the new system were the countries in Europe and North America i.e. the West. In those Cold War times, it was almost axiomatic that Russia would be against it. And so it proved. Foot-dragging by a group containing the USSR/Eastern Bloc, the FOC states and some 3rd World countries, eventually delayed this by a further 5 years, to 1992. Even more haggling extracted the concession to extend the implementation date for existing ships (i.e. that ships that existed in 1992, not the initial date of 1977 or even the initial implementation date of 1987) to 1999.

Some maritime nations in Europe and North America were unwilling to delay beyond the initial date of 1987 and thereafter readily gave concessions to the dropping of W/T watchkeeping requirements aboard ships with satcoms and some other facilities.

Of course when implementation got under way from 1992 onwards, the penny dropped that a GMDSS radio installation was far cheaper than a W/T station and did not incur the staffing costs of a radio officer so the FOC countries jumped ship, leaving only the USSR/Eastern bloc countries and China supporting further delays - for politico-strategic rather than economic reasons.

Quote:
The MCA dropped the ball.
In your opinion only. Clearly the UK authorities held a different opinion in that they had already (voluntarily) established all the elements necessary to provide the shore-side components of the GMDSS by 1992, in support of their stance at IMO. They saw no advantage for maintaining an unnecessary facility at the expense of the British taxpayer and closed it before the final implementation date.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 7th July 2014, 21:04

Using your logic Ron, why didn't the UK turn off the W/T watch in 1992, then?

So, what the UK was saying was a gigantic SOD YOU to ships that, quite legally, kept 500 until the final changeover date.

What if one of those ships sent a distress message on 500 on 2 January? Tough luck, mate...you should have fitted GMDSS.

Safety at sea, the MCA way.

Shameful.

Australian ships dispensed with the Radio Officer in 92, but we maintained 500 in our shore stations until the cut off date, as was right and proper.

It wasn't a political decision, it was a decision made (by me) to cater for ships that were in full compliance with SOLAS.

Mind you, nothing has changed....I was disgusted watching the UK's pathetic performance at IMO last week re Iridium.
Old 7th July 2014, 23:39

My location
Quote:
Using your logic Ron, why didn't the UK turn off the W/T watch in 1992, then?
I don't know the reason for that decision but there was political pressure to terminate the 500kHz watch as far back as 1992. Within the DoT they were not in favour of early shut-down but I was told by insiders (but have no evidence) that the Treasury wanted them to save money. By that time the MF coast stations were operated by BT with a subsidy from the DoT for the distress and safety services. (Revenue from MF ship/shore traffic did not cover operating costs and BT were not prepared to fund the 500 kHz service, demanding a subsidy from the DoT to keep the stations open). Since the Treasury had already provided the DoT with the money requested for the GMDSS, they were reluctant to extend any such subsidy and argued that the DoT should not expect to get additional money to keep the old system going.

But as I said, it would have been within the UK's rights to close the old system without replacing it with anything at all - or we could just have declared UK waters to be Area A3 or A4 - as did some other countries. That they didn't and instead kept the MF W/T stations open for several more years is surely to their credit (although there are plenty of taxpayers and other critics of Government excesses who might disagree).

To the best of my knowledge, no seafarer suffered from the UK's choice of discontuation date.

Old 8th July 2014, 01:02

Government bureaucrats....sigh....

Same here. They royally stuffed up the coast radio network by requiring the states to provide services to small ships.

What a mess...
Old 8th July 2014, 05:26

Quote:
....Mind you, nothing has changed....I was disgusted watching the UK's pathetic performance at IMO last week re Iridium.
Keep the ball rolling this is interesting stuff for us old morse RO's...
By UK do you mean some governmental department?
I would have thought Iridium would be the future move forward for all ship communications and owners would go for it anyway without it having to be IMO compulsory?
Old 8th July 2014, 05:53

No, the UK delegation at IMO's Nav, comms and SAR sub-committee meeting.

Iridium will come, without a doubt. The UK voted against it....but they were outnumbered. Lots of politics and lobbying....I know from personal experience.