500 Khz in the 70's - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
10:57

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

500 Khz in the 70's

User Tag List

Old 8th July 2014, 05:54
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1980 - 1991

Here is the press release from Iridium - it sums up the situation well

Iridium's Application to Provide Global Maritime Distress and Safety System Services Receives Support From International Maritime Organization Sub-Committee

Iridium Moves One Step Closer to Recognition as a GMDSS Mobile Satellite Service Provider

MCLEAN, Va., July 7, 2014 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Iridium Communications Inc. (Nasdaq:IRDM) today announced that its application to the International Maritime Organization (IMO) for the provision of mobile satellite communications in the Global Maritime Distress and Safety System (GMDSS) was reviewed by the IMO Sub-Committee on Navigation, Communications and Search and Rescue (NCSR). The application will now proceed to the Maritime Safety Committee (MSC) at its next meeting in November, before advancing to a group of experts for comprehensive technical and operational evaluation.

Overwhelmingly, the delegates stated support for the United States position to advance Iridium's application to the next stage for evaluation. Final approval will be up to the Maritime Safety Committee, following review of the experts' report by NCSR, which is expected by mid-2016.

"This is a victory for Iridium and the maritime industry," said Matt Desch, CEO, Iridium. "The overwhelming support for our application to provide the industry an alternative and equally capable option for GMDSS services is a testament to the value and benefit the Iridium(R) network can provide to maritime safety." This is particularly important for coverage of Polar regions, where the incumbent GMDSS provider is not able to provide service.

Iridium's constellation of 66 low-Earth orbit, inter-connected satellites operates as a fully-meshed network and provides robust and reliable coverage everywhere on Earth -- including Polar regions -- where demand for reliable voice and data communications is on the rise as shipping and trade routes continue to expand into these remote waters.

Iridium will begin deploying its second generation constellation (Iridium NEXT), in 2015, offering greater capacity, bandwidth and data speeds, as well as backwards compatibility for existing products and services in the market.

In anticipation of IMO recognition, Iridium is working with established maritime communications equipment manufacturers for the production and certification of GMDSS terminals that use the Iridium network, along with Maritime Rescue Coordination Centers and service providers for the provision of maritime safety communications. Once approved, the shipboard terminals will meet both the GMDSS and operational communications needs of a vessel, giving the industry the option of a single, affordable communications terminal to satisfy both safety and business communications wherever they operate. Expected to be available before the end of 2015, GMDSS terminals using the Iridium network are designed to have an operational longevity of nearly 20 years, eliminating the need for vessel owners and operators to purchase new equipment every few years.
Old 8th July 2014, 06:34
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1997

R65,
You are right, Iridium is already very much aboard ships as owner's non-GMDSS gear. In particular, many vessels are now using either Iridium or Inmarsat-Fleet Broadband, or both, for e-mail. Globe Wireless have pretty much phased out their MF/HF system using Icom transceivers and installed Iridium. It also seems to be first choice for phone calls.
The recording you posted was very nostalgic, brought back my memories of the distinctive steady tone of the UK stations and the chirp of the Spanish.
Brgds, Richard

Last edited by richardwakeley; 8th July 2014 at 06:43..
Old 8th July 2014, 07:52
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
Déja vu (or déja entendu?) but this sounds very like the arguments from 35+ years ago at IMO regarding the adoption of satellite communications as part of the GMDSS. At that time the only satellites and ground stations were owned and operated by America's "Comsat-General" so the Russians and their cohorts opposed it on political grounds, others on the grounds that it would not be proper for any single country to control a significant part of an international safety system (with the ability to deny it to those with whom it might disagree), those who saw it as something which would exclude poorer countries that did not have (and could not afford) ground stations like Goonhilly and those that were just against change. The Radio Officers' Union were amongst the latter.

To most of us on the sidelines, it was obvious that technical progress could not be stopped and, since the quality and speed of the service provided was far better than everything else available, satellite relay was clearly here to stay and taking over in general communications and would therefore come to marine communications, both commercial and safety. But at IMO the opposition was fierce.

In order to overcome the objections of the Russian bloc and those who could not accept single ownership, it was decided to set up a subsidiary of the UN which they called the International Maritime Satellite Organization, better known as INMARSAT, where all countries could be represented and exercise their vote. Still there were objections, lots of filibustering and time-wasting in IMO committees which delayed matters and it was several years before any of the new INMARSAT satellites and equipment built to their standards were accepted for distress and safety use in the GMDSS. Much later INMARSAT was spun off into a commercial company, which is as it is today.

Iridium has been available commercially for over a decade now (as had the Comsat-General/INMARSAT system) without being accepted by IMO. So it seems like I have seen and heard it all before.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 8th July 2014, 08:30
King Ratt

My location
In Feb 1998, I wrote an article in the then "Short Wave Magazine" entitled "The Rise and Fall of Sparks".
My concluding words were " In the very near future the Iridium Project will place in orbit a batch of Low Orbiting Satellites to provide worldwide cellular phone facilities at a relatively low cost. This will enable the ship's captain and anyone else onboard to talk from anywhere on the oceans to anywhere on the globe. Sadly, it will soon be goodbye to "sparks" as we welcome in the 21st century. 73 de PMG G906. "
I am surprised this move by Iridium did not happen earlier.
Old 8th July 2014, 09:32

Yep - it is all about Inmarsat protecting their cosy little monopoly on distress comms....

Aided and abetted by the UK...who should know better.

Shades of King Canute....
Old 8th July 2014, 09:52

500kc/s to Iridium.. Now there's a spectrum for speculation if ever there was.
Small question why does Iridium with 64 low level sats giving world-wide shipping a global coverage have to worry about IMO and inmarsat as it's opposition?
Old 8th July 2014, 12:19
Active: 1958 - 1975

Forget the iridium and all that malarky I'm just pleased that I could read the morse(poor or otherwise) especially Gibraltar(ZDK) with his tfc list, it really did all come flooding back!
Old 8th July 2014, 22:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
500kc/s to Iridium.. Now there's a spectrum for speculation if ever there was.
Small question why does Iridium with 64 low level sats giving world-wide shipping a global coverage have to worry about IMO and inmarsat as it's opposition?
Because Iridium wants to provide distress comms, not just commercial comms.
Old 9th July 2014, 04:05

Thanks... Are there any blind areas that Inmarsat distress doesn't function eg polar?
Old 9th July 2014, 06:03
Department: Electrician
Active: 1970 - 1997

R65,
Yes. Inmarsat satellites are geostationary, parked over the equator, and don't cover the polar regions. These areas are deemed as 'area A4' for GMDSS. Duplication of the MF/HF is required. I have worked on a couple of Fednav bulkers which were so fitted for loading at a mine in the far north of Canada. Iridium will obviously be preferable for vessels in these areas.
Brgds,
Richard.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:09
Active: 1964 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by 31552 View Post
try this link

https://archive.org/details/HandbookForRadioOperators

1975 edition

links to the downloadable content at top left of page
Brilliant - brought back some memories. Thanks for the link.
Old 11th August 2014, 17:37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manchester View Post
Brilliant - brought back some memories. Thanks for the link.
Yet another one! Mine was orange. I'm puzzled why it needed updating so often (if ten years counts as 'often') Tks
Old 20th August 2014, 11:12
Active: 1969 - 2013

500kHz recording

Hi All,

I think it was earlier in this thread that I mentioned that I have a recording of the night the 500 kHz watch ceased in the UK. Is there anyone here who could host the recording so that others can listen to it?

It's nearly 475 Mb of a single wav file and my "broadband" is far too slow to allow me to upload it anywhere, so a CD would be the best way to transfer it to another member. There's a text file of the basic messages (operator chat largely left out) and also a brief description of the gear used, etc.

S2004
Old 21st August 2014, 15:13

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave the Vicar
I'm puzzled why it needed updating so often (if ten years counts as 'often')
I guess that a new edition was published after each World Administrative Radio Conference to reflect the changes in procedures and regulations decided on during said Conference.

Last edited by G4UMW; 21st August 2014 at 15:17..
Old 21st August 2014, 16:23
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Very nostalgic listen to 5 ton and brought back many memories. :-)
Old 23rd August 2014, 11:44
Active: 1966 - 2001

Quote:
Originally Posted by Troppo View Post
Like someone else mentioned, I just let the file run in the background while doing some work on the laptop....

It felt like I was in a time warp to the mid 80s....back on watch.

Spooky.
Hi Troppo,
well said, like i do, wife nodding her head...and to make memories perfect, switched off the aircon (living in Thailand)...

All the best
EimbTrader
Old 10th September 2014, 01:25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher2004 View Post
I think it's been linked to before but always good to listen to.

I have a recording I made the night 500kc closed down in the UK, using a ham transceiver. The audio file is 465 Mb and too big for my YouTube account, so I wonder if anyone has any ideas for putting it up on YouTube or somewhere for general consumption?
I would be glad to archive it on archive.org. If you could send me a message privately I could give you my email address, but you can find it easily if you search for me.

David J. Ring, Jr., N1EA
ex- Radio Officer US Merchant Marine, ex- Tuckerton Radio/WSC
-30-
Old 10th September 2014, 01:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by King Ratt View Post
In Feb 1998, I wrote an article in the then "Short Wave Magazine" entitled "The Rise and Fall of Sparks".
My concluding words were " In the very near future the Iridium Project will place in orbit a batch of Low Orbiting Satellites to provide worldwide cellular phone facilities at a relatively low cost. This will enable the ship's captain and anyone else onboard to talk from anywhere on the oceans to anywhere on the globe. Sadly, it will soon be goodbye to "sparks" as we welcome in the 21st century. 73 de PMG G906. "
I am surprised this move by Iridium did not happen earlier.
I called the Vice President of AT&T's Long Line division to tell him about the information I had received from correspondents while serving as editor of "The Professional Marine Communicator". I told him what you just said and how Motorola was bragging it would put AT&T out of business because they were going to have a flat rate charge of 5 cents a minute from anyplace to anyplace on the world. He did not believe me, but he apologized because he said he had a big meeting with the AT&T President and ALL the Vice Presidents, saying it must be something important.

Two weeks later, he called me back and told me that what I had told him was true, that I had the information before he did. Well, he and the readers of the newsletter that is!

Best to all,

David J. Ring, Jr.
ex R/O US Merchant Marine
Old 10th September 2014, 08:18

My location
I hereby declare an interest: I hold shares in INMARSAT.

That said, it makes little sense to require all of the shore centres to have to duplicate their satellite up/downlink equipment; modify the consoles to accommodate two incoming sources, etc. etc.

AND the situation of the Iridium being under the control of one, national, commercial company seems highly undesirable. Iridium is there; anyone can utilise it for their operational or private correspondence, there is no pressing need to institutionalise it.
Old 24th March 2015, 08:22
Active: 1969 - 2013

Final UK 500kHz Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searcher2004 View Post
Hi All,

I think it was earlier in this thread that I mentioned that I have a recording of the night the 500 kHz watch ceased in the UK. Is there anyone here who could host the recording so that others can listen to it?

It's nearly 475 Mb of a single wav file and my "broadband" is far too slow to allow me to upload it anywhere, so a CD would be the best way to transfer it to another member. There's a text file of the basic messages (operator chat largely left out) and also a brief description of the gear used, etc.

S2004
Hi All,

I was asked yesterday if I could send the recording mentioned above to a forum member and in response I posted the files to DropBox. If others would like to download it then the URL is:-

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rcrsbo6obu...00_CD.zip?dl=0

File is 300+ Mb so may take a while on a slow link.

Roger
Old 24th March 2015, 12:23
King Ratt

My location
I have posted this in other threads but here it is again.

https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/attach...2&d=1414765830