Oregon Steamships - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
05:01

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Oregon Steamships

User Tag List

Old 23rd September 2009, 13:23

Hello everyone

I hope this thread is still active, too. My father was John Marquis and worked for Oregon and managed the Londoner. I have happy memories of him downstairs shouting into the radio, "Hello Londoner, Hello Londoner". The names which are mentioned in the thread (Captain Mudd, etc) are familiar to me. Does anyone remember my father?

Jess
Old 23rd September 2009, 19:39
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

Oregon SS

Hi Jess

I remember your dad from when I joined the Lutetian in 73, Ken Hairs - David Duddy also from Oregon. I have a photo of the 2nd/Engr wedding reception on the Lutetian in 75? with your dad included in the photo. smashing fella.

Regards

Ray
Old 24th September 2009, 13:49

Smile

Hi Ray

It really is wonderful that you remember my dad. I remember Dave Duddy too. He was a good friend of my dad's and he came to our house several times. Amongst dad's things, there was also a little container with almonds in it, and also a card saying it was from Captain Mudd.

I think I still have a picture of the Londoner, which he always had on his desk or on the wall.

I'd love to see your photograph, if that is possible.

Regards

Jess
Old 31st October 2010, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Woodward View Post
I am trying to contact anyone who worked for or has memories of Oregon steamships and their three ships, Londoner, Lutetian and lawrentian
Rgds
Steve Woodward
Hi Steve
I sailed on the Lutetian on her maiden voyage from Sunderland to Houston.
Ken Davies
Old 25th February 2011, 18:57

Smile MV Londoner

I was third deck officer on the Londoner Capt E pearce and mate was Ernie Walters round about 1962
Old 28th February 2011, 20:45

Smile MV Londoner

I joined the Londoner in March 1962 in Hull as 3rdMate I am from Hull and there were a lot of crew members from Hull on that voyage the 2"nd mate was Derek Nesbitt a geordie living in Hull . Master was A Pease mate was Ernie Walters. I stayed with her on various voyages until March 1963.I enjoyed my time on this ship relaxed but efffecient running . I remember two cadets were from Hull think one was called Snowden
Old 22nd January 2012, 18:25
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 1965

The Londoner

Quote:
I am trying to contact anyone who worked for or has memories of Oregon steamships and their three ships, Londoner, Lutetian and lawrentian
Rgds
Steve Woodward (egg)
I sailed on the Londoner from Birkenhead in March 1965. the first trip (I believe) after they repaired her after having the cement box on her side I sailed as a junior engineer.
Old 23rd January 2012, 14:35

Quote:
Originally Posted by capital3 View Post
Hi!

I served on the Londoner from 1961 to 1966. She was American Owned but managed by Oregon Steam Ship Company in London. The Engineering Supervisor was a Mr Gordon of the Gordon Gin Family. The Skipper was a Captain Peaz, the Chief Engineer was Bill Finch. She was Sulzer powered. I was 3rd Engineer at the time.

When you search on Mv Londoner it shots up a Ship I have never ever seen. The one on this site with the O on the funnel is the correct one. The Funnel was green and black. There was also an O on the Bow. They identify it as a "Tanker" but all the years I worked on her we only carried Grain. All the Senior Officers were the same for the whole length of my service she such a happy ship. I know they brough out a new ship after I finished, I do not know what that was called but I do know, that the 2nd Mate of the Londoner, took over the new Ship as Skipper. He was estonian. I know this because I met him some time after I left and he told me the Company were always asking about me and why do I not come back even if it only on a relieving basis. I hope this bit of tittle tattle is usefull to you.

William R Wheeler
I should know you as I sailed from Birkenhead on the Londoner in March 1965 after she had been repaired. I don't believe you were on that trip as there were only two juniors, myself and Billy Aitken from Cardiff. i was on the seconds watch for most of the time. he was a decent chap but the chief was a bully and at the end of the voyage asked me to come back as 4th engineer but I told him what he could do with his promotion in no uncertain terms the two words ended with off. We left Bikenhead in a hurry to catch a charter and I think that is the reason we seemed to be short of food the meals were miniscule I complained to the chief steward and he had the cheek to quote board of trade rations to me (what century was he in).
I then complained to the chief and his reply was that it was enough for him. This was awful as he was overweight and on a diet. I had never known achief that ignored a complaint from his staff before, that was disgusting both myself and others were permanently hungry and when we were docked we were eating ashore however the cooking was good.
I was probably on a bad trip as your experience was obviously much different I would be interested to hear from you Regards.
Kevin.
Old 25th January 2012, 16:03

i sailed onboard the Londoner from january 68 to august 68 as 3rd officer, a very bad feeder, Captain EA Walters Master, David Pease Mate, John macarthy 2nd mate.liverpool crew most jailed in Vancouver for stealing cargo we were on a K line Charter and cargo consisted of electronic items Nuff said.
Regards Andrew Guthrie.
Old 25th January 2012, 17:36

Nice to find someone on the same wavelength. We had a lot of problems with crew on my trip also. I admired the captain very much I over heard him logging some of the crew because he was shouting at the time he was very courageous I can't remember names it may have been Walters, he was a small man. Could that have been him?
I would like to contact you directly as I am trying to write about some of these experiences (My own and others) Can you suggest a way.
Old 8th March 2012, 15:36

Londoner

Quote:
Only just found this thread again,

Graykay, remember you but not your name, my wife and I rejoined the Lutetian in Liverpool arround the same time as yourselves, Oregon were nearing the end then and the old girl was not her best.
The londoner you sailed on was the coaster, the Londer in the attached picture is the first Londoner she was sold in the early '70's, I will email you with a pic of your ship.
You did indeed have a lucky escape, we did indeed spend nearly four months at anchor off Libya, a large number of ships had been chartered to load flour and cooking oil - so many that Libyan ports were clogged with the stuff.
Not a good ending to my time with Oregon, at the end of that trip I left to join Mobil.

William Weeler,
Thanks for your posting,
The Londoner you sailed on was the first one - a medium sized midship accomodation cargo ship.
Bill Finch became Eng Super and as the company declined took a lot of stick which he did not deserve as he was only trying to keep things going with limited funds.
Captain Pease retired whilst I was with Oregon but we never sailed together, his son david was mate on the Lutetian and something of a bully to the apprentices, he once hit me and the Estonian AB Skibutz ( cant rember his first name)who saw it threatened to fill him if he did it again, the mate is not endeared in my memory and thankfully I only sailed with him once and he did not spoil things for me.
Ernie Walters - he became a popular and respected master, a West Countryman if I remeber correctly, rather short and had to stand on a box to see in the daylight viewing hood of the radar.
The Estonian Second Mate you mention would be Tom Keiver, real nice guy and another person who threatened David Pease with a touch of his own medicine if he did'nt leave the 'prentices alone. He was old man on the Lutetian arround 1972-3, sadly I do not know what happened top Tom.
Oregon remained in Creechurch Lane - I have vague recollections of an old fashioned office when I went for my interview before being indentured.

I was the Radio Officer on the Londoner from April 67 to December 67.
The crew list was:-
Captain Walters, C/O Kiever them Pease, 2/O Pease then Dawson, 3/O Peck, App East, C/E Stevenson, 2/E Griffiths, 3/E Pettit then Whalley, 4/E Davies, J/E's McMaster, Anderson, Newcombe & John, C/Stwd Sullivan, R/O Gwyn-Davies.

Hope this jogs the memory!
Old 16th March 2012, 22:06
Department: Deck
Active: 1975 - 1986

Hi Steve,

I joined Oregon in summer 1975, and joined the Lawrentian in Montreal October '75 as a deck cadet.
Long 10 month trip, srudies in Hull with Mairtin McOiste and Andy Dawson - then off again on the Lutetian..
Old 2nd August 2012, 20:02
Active: 1967 - 1981

Hi everyone, I did two stints with Oregon, first with the Lutetian as 4/E I can't remember any names except for the 2/O Larry Shipman. We had a Pakistani 3/E a brummie electrician, and mechanics . As I remember a good trip.
My next trip was early seventies on the Lawrentian this time Larry Shipman was the Captain. Joined her on the Tyne and finally paid off in Gdynia. Two months later I was with Trinder Anderson and met a couple of good lads who were greasers on the Lawrentian, they told me she had gone aground in the Baltic.
Sorry my memory isn't any better all my records got lost during a house move some years ago.
Old 6th August 2012, 08:59
Active: 1969 - Present

Visited these vessels in Durban in the 70's

Yes remeber the vessel's as two of the cadets who were serving their time were on them One was John Taylor and the other Ian Bahn both ex. Trinity House lads.
Remember it being a smallist outfit.
Still in touch with Ian.
Old 6th August 2012, 11:30

Joe, I knew John Taylor and his brother at Hull Tech. They both became ROs. Ended up running a Freelance Ship Manning Company.

John T
Old 6th August 2012, 15:57
Active: 1969 - Present

Not the same JT

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
Joe, I knew John Taylor and his brother at Hull Tech. They both became ROs. Ended up running a Freelance Ship Manning Company.

John T
Hi
Not the same John Taylor I am afaid John is Master on supply vessels last heard of with Tosia in Brazil. Believe he lives in Withernsea near Hull on the coast.
They were a few John Taylor's from Hull I sailed with one in UTC but he went out to Aussie in the 70's
Old 6th August 2012, 17:37

Thanks Joe. By coincidence, one of the Taylors I knew was a deck cadet with Oregon.

John T
Old 15th August 2012, 13:21

Dear All, its a long time since I have been on here. Thanks to SW starting the thread I can now delve in to my memory and remember some of the guys I sailed with in Oregon. Also, Joe Woodall for reminding me about the site. John Taylor, Martin Hostie (you naughty, naughty boy), Sam Rudaini, Tony Bamber, John Laverick, Pete McGovern (A gent), Capt. Pease, Ernie walters, Larry Shipman (God Rest His Soul), Jim Westerman, Richard Ascough, etc, etc, etc. All a great bunch of lads and I have many great memories.
The Lawrentian, or the 'Big L' as she was known to some was one hell of a work horse. Whoever thought of stowing derricks like that needed to be shot!
I was one of the unfortunate ones (or fortunate whichever way you look at it) to be on the Bauxite Charter in Guyana and the Carib. Some stories could be told about that charter.
Anyway guys, good to hear from you all, keep it up.
Ian (Barney) Bahn
Old 15th August 2012, 15:35
Catering 1958 - 2007
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

I think I was on the Lawrention with you Ian and your wife when we went to Constanza, then we called into Sicily to let my missus and my two boys off so they could get home before school started. The late Larry Shipman was mate and we had a SA master (McCormack)
Sam Al Rudainni he joined Tradax when Oregon sold the Lutetian, Peter McGovern now retired in Tasmania and runs a olive oil farm.
I met John Taylor in Gt Yarmouth when I worked for Toisa gave him a new Oregon House Flag surprised what ends up in your baggage when they sell the last ship.

Ray
Old 3rd September 2012, 13:14

Hi ray

Hi Ray, I do remember you. One thing i havent lost much of is my memory. Mind you, some of the memories of Oregon are emblazoned on my brain. It was a long time to spend on one ship. I have spoken to a few of the 'Old Boys' over the years.I'm still in the biz, sort of' as a surveyor and the world is getting smaller so its easy to bump in to people you knoew or get back in touch through freinds. John Laverick, Sam Rudaini and a couple of others. Hope you and yours are all well. Barney
Old 28th October 2012, 16:36
Active: 1967 - 1970

Quote:
Rgds
Steve Woodward
HI STEVE, I JOINED THE LUTETIAN IN 1968.. SAILED ON HER FOR 14 MONTHS. JOS THEN SOS. K LINE CHARTERED US, WE WERE PAID OFF IN PORT OF SPAIN. SOME TRIP BEST. WISHES BOB
Old 15th April 2013, 19:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobthethird View Post
Hi everyone, I did two stints with Oregon, first with the Lutetian as 4/E I can't remember any names except for the 2/O Larry Shipman. We had a Pakistani 3/E a brummie electrician, and mechanics . As I remember a good trip.
My next trip was early seventies on the Lawrentian this time Larry Shipman was the Captain. Joined her on the Tyne and finally paid off in Gdynia. Two months later I was with Trinder Anderson and met a couple of good lads who were greasers on the Lawrentian, they told me she had gone aground in the Baltic.
Sorry my memory isn't any better all my records got lost during a house move some years ago.
I was on watch at 4am when the Lawrentian run aground.We were on the rocks 2-3 days then towed off by tugs.I had only been on her about a week after being ashore for 10yrs.A good start too a new start at sea.Ended up as 3rd eng. on the Lutetian.Great times.Kenny.
Old 15th September 2013, 23:13

Hi Steve. It has been some time since we last spoke. Yes I remember Ken Hairs. We had arrived in Rotterdam and I came home for a few days via The Hook of Holland. On the wat back The Tube I was on going to Kings Cross broke down and I was stuck for nearly 2 hours. When I got to Kings Cross the Boat Train had left, so Taxi to Creechurch Lane saw Ken Hairs took me to KLM and booked my Flight to Amsterdam from Heathrow. Arrived in Amsterdam but had to find a way to Rotterdam. As I had important Manifest Papers on me, I enlisted the help of the Police who took me in a Police Car with Flashing Lights to Rotterdam. But as the LOndoner was moored out at boys I had to wake up a Boatman to take me out to her. Bill Finch actually paid the Boatmen for me. As it was getting on for 22.00 and we were due to sail, as 3rd Engineer I had to do the Stanby watch on the 8 to 12 covering the 4th. I had been travelling all day and was knak*** and I still had to do me own Watch till 04.00.
But! I would do it all again if I could. I am 80 years old now and not in good health, but still miss the Sea.

Best of health to you

Ray
Old 18th September 2013, 22:23

Londoner

Hi Kevin!

When you joined the Londoner in Birkenhead in 1965 I had taken leave as we had just come back after Six and a Half Month trip to Japan where the Concrete Box was fitted. We were 19 days in Otaru over the Xmas. I have photos somewhere of Japanese Women mixing the Cement. The Weather was terrible. I suppose you must speak as you find, but Bill Finch and I were quite good friends. Billy Aitken I knew from Cardiff, how he became an Engineer I knoiw not, as he and his Family were Car Dealers. I used to be friendly with his brother Malcolm. When I took leave Freddie Miller was 2nd Engineer a nice lad from Seaham Harbor. Skipper was Capt Peaz Chief Officer Ernie Walters, 2nd Mate Toomas (Tom) Kiever. I took 3 months leave to sit my 2nds Ticket.and passed. I only did 3 more voyages on the Londoner into 1966 and the left to becoime a Chief Engineer of a Dredging Company.

Best Wishes Ray
Old 8th January 2014, 17:02

Ray Wheeler

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave hind View Post
I joined the Londoner in March 1962 in Hull as 3rdMate I am from Hull and there were a lot of crew members from Hull on that voyage the 2"nd mate was Derek Nesbitt a geordie living in Hull . Master was A Pease mate was Ernie Walters. I stayed with her on various voyages until March 1963.I enjoyed my time on this ship relaxed but efffecient running . I remember two cadets were from Hull think one was called Snowden
That would be Dave Snowden who lives in Cottingham near Beverley. I am in contact with Dave as we sailed on the Londoner together until I left her at Birkenhead in March 1965. You and I must have sailed together as I joined her at Avonmouth in August 1962. The 2nd Mate was Toomas Keiver (Tom) an Estonian who I had known previously in Cardiff. Tom and I joined the Londoner together. If you want Daves phone number I can let you have it.

Ray Wheeler