Is this the correct place to post ? - Ships Nostalgia
22:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Is this the correct place to post ?

User Tag List

Old 11th March 2013, 12:47
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1951 - Present

Is this the correct place to post ?

I have found information (on Mercantile Marine) re a ship which was lost in the Baltic in 1919. I was hoping for further information from MM, but their site is now down.
Will this be the correct place on SN to post in here the details I already have ?
Old 24th March 2013, 21:00

S.S. Flush.

Looks like this is the correct forum to post, as many have viewed my original post and not slapped my hands.
I am interested in the Steamship Flush which went down in the Baltic in Nov 1919, about 19th-20th of that month. I have already received a lot of help from Hugh MacLean in SN(PMs).
Further 'research' elsewhere shows that the ship went down with all hands, and 23 lives were lost.
The Flush was built in 1917/ wooden/propulsion steam;compound engine/ weight 1474 grt; dimensions 69.5 x 13.1 (presumably metres).
It has been suggested to me that the crew list may have been exaggerated, due to the ship's size a crew of 23 would be too many.
But from a list Hugh has supplied me the crew had 3rd engineer;boatswain; 3 able seamen; 2 boys; donkeyman; 6 firemen;cook;messroom steward; and a steward; apart from 1st and 2nd mates, and chief engineer.
Anyone in Ships Nostalgia able to comment re the size of this crew, and would the numbers be about the norm for a ship of that size in 1919 ?
Old 24th March 2013, 21:29

Quote:
Originally Posted by pityacka View Post
Looks like this is the correct forum to post, as many have viewed my original post and not slapped my hands.
I am interested in the Steamship Flush which went down in the Baltic in Nov 1919, about 19th-20th of that month. I have already received a lot of help from Hugh MacLean in SN(PMs).
Further 'research' elsewhere shows that the ship went down with all hands, and 23 lives were lost.
The Flush was built in 1917/ wooden/propulsion steam;compound engine/ weight 1474 grt; dimensions 69.5 x 13.1 (presumably metres).
It has been suggested to me that the crew list may have been exaggerated, due to the ship's size a crew of 23 would be too many.
But from a list Hugh has supplied me the crew had 3rd engineer;boatswain; 3 able seamen; 2 boys; donkeyman; 6 firemen;cook;messroom steward; and a steward; apart from 1st and 2nd mates, and chief engineer.
Anyone in Ships Nostalgia able to comment re the size of this crew, and would the numbers be about the norm for a ship of that size in 1919 ?
The wreck report gives the crew list as 17, and all were lost.
Old 11th April 2013, 13:46

I am still struggling for more information re the SS Flush. I had been hoping the local newspaper would have had the disaster well covered, but the archives for Nov. 1919 into 1920 are missing.
The loss of Flush was raised in House of Commons, in June 1920,and is recorded in Hansard. It seems possible that the Flush was transferred to the Swedish flag, after its first port of call, Malmo.
Would a Board of Trade enquiry into its loss have been held, and if so, where do I start searching for that ?
Thanks in anticipation.
Old 14th April 2013, 12:24

I have now found fuller details re the loss of SS Flush. A third party in RootsChat has forwarded me details which were recorded in the Blyth News & Wansbeck Telegraph, dated Thurs. 27th Nov., 1919.
As regards a Board of Trade Enquiry report, I have found that the reports for the years 1919 -1920 have not been transcribed as yet.
Old 17th April 2013, 17:12

Ss Flush.

After much searching here, there and everywhere, and with a considerable amount of help from Hugh MacLean (SN), I have found a lot more information. The Maritime Museum at Aland Islands have provided me with a photo of the SS Flush, together with a newspaper report of the loss (in Swedish), and a short summary of that in English.
Part of the ship's wheel and another item are in the museum there.
The Flush struck rocks at night in a blizzard on 19/20th Nov 1919, east of the Lagskar lighthouse on the Aland archipelago.
One of the crew was a J. Sorensen, who had served in both the Danish and British Navies. In 1917 Mr. Sorensen was a crew member on the S.S. Kurdistan when it was torpedoed in the Med. He was in a lifeboat which was run down by a minesweeper rushing to their aid. The Kurdistan was loaded with coal, and travelling from BLYTH to Alexandria.
Old 10th November 2015, 18:28

I believe my great uncle, Henry Jones, was first officer on the Flush.
Old 11th November 2015, 12:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by chjones521 View Post
I believe my great uncle, Henry Jones, was first officer on the Flush.
I have sent you a PM with some details. Now checking this thread I started I believe the only thing missing is a photograph of SS. Flush.
I have noted your email address, and will send you an email with an attached photo of SS. Flush.
Old 11th November 2015, 13:40
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Hello Pityacka,
You have persevered with this one - good job.

Can't remember all the detail I sent you but did you ever get the full list of crew? I can name 21 of the 23 crew.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 11th November 2015, 16:00

Hugh, Yes, I believe I got the full list, although 2 of them did not have full details and their addresses. I do not have my notes handy at the moment. If interested I put details in www.rootschat.com - the Northumberland section. Searching in there - Blyth History, also SS Flush will bring up details. 19th November, 1919, 96 years ago. I wonder if Blyth town will commemorate the loss in 4 years time.
When I was digging into all this the other year, I was looking at a census for the town in the late 1800s. Name after name showed occupation as mariner, etc. I was astounded by the number, until I thought to myself, " Yes idiot, it was a seafaring town."
Old 20th January 2020, 12:45
Department: Engineering

SS Flush

Hi all. This is my first post here. I also search for info regarding Flush. I live in the Aland Island and we have a project about Flush. We are a few divers how actual have dive some part of Flush. But this spring we are going to search the rest of her engine parts etc. And do a film from the wreck. I found the grave from M.C. Simonsen. Its a nice iron crosss. He was the Captain on Flush.
Old 19th April 2020, 16:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Wilhelmsson View Post
Hi all. This is my first post here. I also search for info regarding Flush. I live in the Aland Island and we have a project about Flush. We are a few divers how actual have dive some part of Flush. But this spring we are going to search the rest of her engine parts etc. And do a film from the wreck. I found the grave from M.C. Simonsen. Its a nice iron crosss. He was the Captain on Flush.
regarding Jerry's post, which I quote above. Jerry is a member of BUE- Baltic Underwater Explorers. Google that "BUE" or the full title, and you will discover their Facebook page, etc., which contains videos and photos of their dives in the Baltic. One of their entries relates to the brig - "Regard" (?) which had sailed from Hull and was lost in the Baltic. The divers discovered many unopened bottles in its cargo, and were planning to retrieve some to have the contents analysed.