Ships Nostalgia banner

Members no longer posting.

81K views 294 replies 87 participants last post by  duquesa 
#1 ·
Have I missed something but some of the regular posters have been absent for a while and wonder what has happened to them.
I have not seen "Keltic Star" for a while nor "Binnacle to name but two."

#45 · (Edited)
KS was a strong poster as was Seamen38 so, what has become of them.
Alas to the disappointment of a few (or possibly many) I can confirm that Seaman38 is still alive and well having just returned yesterday from a months dancing in Tenerife. I had advised that I was going to be absent. When I am away I never look at a computer and my telephone works on steam, if there is anything important happening in my personal life it will appear on my wife's gadgets. Vacation time is for relaxing, reading, talking to people and in our case dancing.

I am surprised to learn from a member that I was never listed as a member. (Smoke)

For Laker Captain,(and others) keep writing your about your memories and experiences. When at sea and ashore in the marine industry we considered our lives normal and accepted the dangers of our profession, such as hurricanes, cyclones, anti cyclones, Malacca Straits pirates, collisions, onboard fires and many more incidences as normal fare of our profession. When talking to people who say 'What did you do?' and you tell them some of your experiences, without embellishment, they find it interesting, as one Banker said to me, 'I thought my job was interesting, now I realise it was boring' he was not alone in those comments throughout the years.

I would say to anyone who writes for their own satisfaction to keep their passion alive and hope that their grand children may one day read them, contact your local University Librarian (or the one near where you spent your childhood) as your jottings are all part of history. My own ramblings about what I could recall from age 5 to 27 (120,000 words) are lodged with Hull University, it is not necessary to have been to University, my own formal education virtually finished at the age of 13. However I have always been an avid reader

#6 ·
Seaman38 [seaman38] is still a member - last post 11 March 19. (Thumb)

I guess the site is not as interesting as it once was. Fragmentation of members to other sites, some old hands no longer with us, some boring topics being posted. It will either pick up or slowly go the way of many others.

Hugh

#8 ·
I agree (For what it's worth)
Some threads have become boring, but one of main complaints is how quickly almost any thread can be turned into a political argument.
There are many grumpy old sods who would prefer to bemoan the state of the world than chat about their lives at sea.
It should be a happy trip down memory lane, much of which could be repeated over the years.

It could also be said that it's all been said, so what's the point in staying in the forums?

#9 ·
I went back through my posts recently trying to find one I made about ten years ago and as I trolled through I was amazed at how many then frequent posters had dropped out.
Passing away, old age, boredom what ever , we are thinning our ranks as time becomes our leveller rather than other sites taking our fancy.
Those sea going days are long gone for many, I signed off my last ship almost sixty years ago, I have well nigh exhausted my stories but I will hang in here until the ship or I founder.
Keep posting .

Bob

#81 ·
Have to say that since becoming more involved with our historic paddle steamer I have been pretty slack on posting in SN. When I do visit it seems a lot of the Fire has gone out of it, but I’ll try to be more regular in my SN watching and, who knows, may be able to contribute once more. Hope all well with you Bob, when we gonna have you aboard for a trip?(Thumb)

#10 ·
Bob, I am one of those who have stopped posting, not because I am disinterested, I look at the site daily, I just don't have any new stories to post.
But now I do !!
I live in Australia and a friend I made in Dover at the PWSTS in 1969 who lives in Blackpool has contacted me to say he has been given a visa to live in Australia.
Can you imagine what a reunion this will be when we meet.
We live in a very special world wide circle of like minded people. We all love the sea and it's people.
RNW

#11 ·
All things change. Ten years ago the Brocklebank forum buzzed with traffic - alas now it is rare to find a new post. Even so, SN is worth hanging onto - what else is there for an 80 yr old in the wilds of North Yorkshire who must keep an eye on his PSA?
Now my broken arm is mended, I'm driving again, making enamel art with a kiln, and writing memoir. I can recommend scribbling down your memories, even though most immediate family go glassy-eyed - it's amazing what lurks in the mind (better than what's on telly, at least).

It's inevitable that our happy band will diminish, impermanence is the way of things. Meanwhile, it will be soon warm enough to sow the runner beans.
May you all be happy.

#12 · (Edited)
Harry, I am about to plant out my Brocolli as autumn sets in down under, the PSA is on a Lazy rise and all is well
At least we have had the internet facility through which to enjoy one another's company and stories , a luxury denied all those Agincourt Longbowmen who had to fade away without sharing their tales and unable to leave an indelible mark on the scroll.
( providing SN doesn't go to ground)

Bob

#15 ·
Hope you're better now E S. Influenza is horrid innit?
I've had it a few times, and twice it developed into pneumonia which resulted in hospitalisation and very seriously ill. No one locally noticed, but they wouldn't coz I never told anyone. :)

#25 ·
Maybe that is part of the reason but my own view is that many members became disenchanted with the new, seemingly disinterested, ownership of this site, followed by lots of Korean spam which seemed to go unchecked for a long time. Then there was the problems with the gallery, disappearing photos etc, and the schism which saw a lot of frequent posters move over to the Ships History site.
I still like SN, and look in every day, but I must admit to getting bored with some of the input these days.
I suppose it is up to us to start new and hopefully, interesting threads.(Thumb)

#26 ·
Guess we are now looked on as silly old men reminiscing about days gone by and as a sort of history lesson.
Our tales have been told ad nausem and we hear the cry "Oh no not again" and that far away look.
I wrote of my time sailing and was told it may make good reading if you were to publish it but to be honest, it would only have a very limited appeal and I did it mainly for the grandchildren and maybe those that come after I go to "Fiddlers Green"

#33 ·
I stopped posting photos 12 months ago, sadly the charm has worn off as there is a strong risk that the owners will simply pull the plug at any time and all our photos, stories, comments, experiences will be lost. It's a terrible shame as there used to be a strong camaraderie on the site.

The forum is similarly no fun any more, all discussion being basically one man competing with another as brexit rips our little world apart. The same people smother the forum in their over bearing views.

I'd say overall that SN is pretty well playing in extra time.....

#29 ·
It is sad to see that some of the long time members are not enjoying SN as much as before . I still think that is a great site . It has given me and I am sure many others a lot of enjoyment in seeing the posts that have brought back so many happy memories of the ships we sailed in and the blokes we sailed with . I just hope that it will continue for years to come . So come on guys get posting . Regards . Alex C .

#30 ·
Alex I really enjoy posting my photos and comments in SN but when you are really fighting against impediments or viruses embedded in the website itself such as the already boring and famous "Busy try again shortly or blah, blah" this gets boring and sometimes one can lose patience.

Regards

Tomi.

#32 ·
I go on other sites and the same thing is happening, as one sage said all the tales have been told; no more young blood going to sea. Just read an article about a new training ship for seamen in the Philippines; will take 200 cadets with 40 crew, will have to wait for a long time before they are able to put up posts of their sea time.
I went to the Vindicatrix Training ship in Gloucester in 49 and get the Vindi news from our association, only thing is every three months I get news of more crossing the bar; including some old mates. But all of us still have our memories to keep us sane, and sites like this one let us know that we are not alone; and those memories are shared by many and enjoyed by all; including repeat tales never mind how tall.
Tugger

#34 ·
To all intents and purposes I stopped posting photos during the 'big photo' and temporary (although we did not know that at the time) gallery loss. I now rarely post photos here and only 'expendable' ones at that.

The foregoing is disappointing in that SN has a far greater readership than the alternative which has the advantage of larger picture size and no limit on daily posting. SH also has the appearance (at least) of better maintenance albeit a smaller membership.