MP3 Players with bookmarks - Ships Nostalgia
19:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

MP3 Players with bookmarks

User Tag List

Old 16th April 2016, 17:47

MP3 Players with bookmarks

Having just found a load of Public Domain audio books on Gutenberg, I have been looking round for an MP3 player with bookmarks. Can anyone receommned one, not too expensive. I did download an audio book into my wife's MP3 and it worked fine, but no bookmmarks. So, after switching off and on again, it resets to the beginning!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 16th April 2016, 18:51

Might be better with a kindle - the basic ones aren't too expensive.
Old 16th April 2016, 19:52
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Or maybe a cheap tablet,wouldn,t need to much storage for e books and perfectly capable for MP3.
Old 16th April 2016, 20:19

I do have a Kindle keyboard version. I found the audio section in it and put one it. It shws that it is there when the Kindle is plugged into the computer, but I can't find it when it is not plugged in!

I also have a tablet, so I will try it in that as well.

The problem is, do they have bookmarks, so I could keep the page when it is turned off?

Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 16th April 2016, 20:36
user

Yes Bob,the smarter ones do know exactly where you are,smarter ones will tell you what you,re having for tea!
Old 17th April 2016, 08:59

Thanks for advice. I had a tablet that I hardly ever used after obtaining it for 26 from a pawn shop. I put an audio book in it, but although I could find it in the tablet, it would not play. I had noted that when I played the audio book on my main desktop PC, it played via the VLC.AVI program that ran my car dashcam. I installed the same program in the tablet, and the audio book now plays. I turned it off last night, and on turning it on again this morning, it was still at the place I had stopped it, so problem solved.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 17th April 2016, 11:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

Keyboard kindles will play sound, but they don't do bookmarks. The process is governed by the date the file went onto the device.
Old 17th April 2016, 11:48

Thanks, I will not install it in the Kindle. The tablet is working fine with it. For anyone interested, this link will get you into the Gutenbertg project where it is all in the public domain and free to download:
https://archive.org/search.php?query...rozen%20pirate
I have just read this as a Kindle e-book (also from Gutenberg), so can recommend it. The main problem with Gutenberg audio books is that quite often, each chapter has different readers, in the case of The Frozen Pirate, both male and female readers, that can take some getting used to.
It is a very old book (about 100 years, I think), but I am finding these old novels a refreshing change from modern writings. Totally far-fetched, and escapism, but extremely entertaining.
I have just downloaded the audio book At Earth's Core by Edgar Rice from Gutenberg Burroughs (Author of Tarzan). It sounds like a good one, and only has two male readers who each read half of the book, so it should be an easy listen.
I like audio books because they allow me to do two things at the same time, build model ships and listen to a novel!
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 17th April 2016, 15:14
user

Glad you got it sorted Bob.If your tablet has Bluetooth a portable Bluetooth speaker would be a good buy for far better sound quality.
Old 17th April 2016, 15:49

I don't know whethere it does or not. It is a Cyclone Explorer Android.
The sound quality is excellent on the headphones.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 18th May 2016, 19:53

Advice has proved excellent, thanks. My old tablet, hardly ever used is behaving very well. I can download talking books into it, and it keeps the page. Also U-tube videos and public domain films. By sticking a micro SD card in it, the memory has increased to 16gb. So, no need to go and get an MP3 at all
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships
Old 18th May 2016, 20:52
user

Sounds like your tablet has a new lease of life Bob.I don,t think yours has Bluetooth but if you wanted to ditch the headphones it will no doubt have a jack plug socket for an external,portable speaker.
Old 20th May 2016, 13:52

I normally listen on headphones anyway, so no problem. Sound quality on the headphones is perfect, not so good on its internal loudspeaker.
Bob

Miniature Merchant Ships