Murder onboard Anco Sovereign - Ships Nostalgia
20:30

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Murder onboard Anco Sovereign

User Tag List

Old 27th March 2019, 10:39

Murder onboard Anco Sovereign

Can anybody help me with some information concerning a murder which occured on board the Anco Sovereign on the 1st January 1976.

I have been trying to trace the outcome of this matter, which resulted in two Met police officers flying out to the ship, investigation the case over a period of some weeks and eventually taking a suspect back to the UK.

I can even remember the police officer's names as Det. Super Secrue (or similar sounding) and Insp Wilkinson.

Any information at all would be helpful.

Larry
Old 27th July 2019, 09:23
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - Present

George Bain murder

Hi Larry
The murdered man was George Bain from Glasgow. He was around 47 or so at the time. I had sailed with Georgie on the Anco Sovereign the trip before. I was on the Anco Sceptre the following trip when I received a letter from home which informed me of a report in the Daily Telegraph about the killing. Apparently 2 Scotland Yard officers were flown out to Panama. It was the first anyone on board knew of the incident. We heard later that he had been stabbed with a screwdriver by another steward. I hope that this is of some use to you.
Regards, Mark
Old 27th July 2019, 11:45

Murder Anco Sovereign

Hi Mark, Thank you for the information. This is a great help.

You are correct about the two detectives and they did fly out to Panama. They were joined by a third detective a couple of weeks later. The total time on board was about three weeks.

The lead detective was Superintendant Secrue and his bag man was Inspector Wilkinson. I don't know the name of the third.

The victim was stabbed eleven times and left at the bottom of the stairway to make it look like an accident. As it was New Year's Eve none of the crew or officers - except me and my watchman- could give a clear acount of who was where so the detectives had a hard time solving the mystery.

They eventually took another crew member away, I believe he was from Manchester but I can't find any record (Even in the police archives) concerning the crime or any court case.

With your information I will try a search in the Telegraph and local Glasgow newspaper to see if I can progress this.
Best regards,

Larry
Old 27th July 2019, 12:03

Forgot to ask Mark. Was it the daily Telegraph or a local Scotish Paper?
Larry
Old 27th July 2019, 14:52
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1974 - Present

Anco sovereign

Hi Larry
It was definitely the Daily Telegraph. My mum was living in Canterbury and wouldnít have any access to Georgieís local press.
Itís just occurred to me that Iíve seen the crew lists of Anco tankers in the seventies elsewhere online. The crew members onboard at the time might well be there.
Mark
Old 13th January 2020, 14:08
Department: Engineering

Anco Sovereign Murder

Hi Larry,

I was on the Sovereign a few months before the murder, so actually met the victim.I seem to remember he joined in Rotterdam to fill in as cook after all the catering crew had been sacked following a series of arson attacks in cabins.

I've since tried to find transcripts of the court case, but without success.

All I seem to remember was that the court case was in November at the Old Bailey. The accused(Fish) was found not guilty.

I can't remember where my info came from, but would like to know more about the case.

Paul Darrell Slingsby
Old 13th January 2020, 16:21

Hi Paul,
I have manages to get the post mortem document by the Panamanian pathologist.
You have told me something I had forgotten, the name of the chap accused of the Murder, Fish.
I have been in contact with the national archives without luck but with his name I will have another go.
The arresting officer was either chief superintendent Secrue or inspector Wilkinson. Both were on board for several weeks investigation the incident.
I will post any more details as I get them
Larry