Duke Of Lancaster - Ships Nostalgia
18:16

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Duke Of Lancaster

User Tag List

Old 3rd September 2010, 07:40
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1961 - 1998

Duke Of Lancaster

G'day -

I will be up in North Wales in a few week's time & was thinking to go & have a look at the beached DUKE OF LANCASTER & was wondering whether any members can give me advice on gaining access to the area for photographs.

I am not seeking to get aboard, merely to take photographs & would naturally like to get as close to the ship as possible.

I can see the ship on Google Earth - is the seawall to the east of the ship accessible without trespassing ?
Presumably the quay on her starboard side is not accessible ?
Where is the best place to park [I've no objection to walking a mile or two !].

If you are able to help it would be very much appreciated, as would any other useful info.

I have Emailed the 'Duke of Lancaster Appreciation Society' but have had no response, their website is worth a look -

http://www.dukeoflancaster.net

Thanks in advance for any responses,

73s

Marco
Old 3rd September 2010, 15:06

There is 2 public foot path that run down each side of the stream which lead to the old dock were she is moored.

John
Old 3rd September 2010, 22:28

It is possible to get quite close to the ship on the rocky shore line immediatly opposite the ship. To reach this point park your car on the Solitare market site which has an old ships lifeboat adjacent to the main road (A548). There is a footpath left hand side leading under the main coastal railway line to the shore line. It is such a sad sight seeing this ship rotting away, but you should get good photographs, especially if the light is right. Good luck, Keith.
Old 4th September 2010, 09:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Duke of Lancaster hey day

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith ratcliffe View Post
It is possible to get quite close to the ship on the rocky shore line immediatly opposite the ship. To reach this point park your car on the Solitare market site which has an old ships lifeboat adjacent to the main road (A548). There is a footpath left hand side leading under the main coastal railway line to the shore line. It is such a sad sight seeing this ship rotting away, but you should get good photographs, especially if the light is right. Good luck, Keith.
Just stumbled on this site, as I am a regular contributor to the Bankline site - ( a bit further up!)

I am an ex Chief Officer of the Lancaster when she was in her Hey Day thrashing backwards and forwards to Belfast with 2000 plus passengers, and it is sad to think of her situation now. It reinforces my long held view that ships should have a noble end if pssible - just like humans deserve!
Old 4th September 2010, 09:58

COS918 / Keith -

Many thanks for your useful replies.
I agree with Alan re the final end for a ship.
This survival is so bizarre is that it certainly deserves a visit.
Hopefully she will be given the coup de grace before she gets into as bad a state of the paddler RYDE on the Isle of Wight.
I've been looking at Ordnance Survey maps in the internet where there is a half-hearted representaton of the ship & much useful info re public footpaths etc.

Thanks again !

73s

Marco

Last edited by marco nista; 4th September 2010 at 16:39..
Old 5th September 2010, 22:45

Marco. The ship is not identified on an Ordnance Map, however, you need an O.M. Landranger No 116. The ship is lying at Llannerch-y-Mor, Map Reference 795 178. A548 Flint to Prestatyn road. Good luck, Keith
Old 6th September 2010, 00:13

Keith -

Thanks for info & grid ref etc.

Using 'Streetmap' [which seems to be based on O/S mapping] I managed to bring up out a 1/25000 map of Llannerch y Mor & the the shape of the hull does seem to be vaguely visible, or at least the basin in the mud where she is lying.

Hopefully this link will work -

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/map.srf?x...r,+Flintshire+[Town]&searchp=ids.srf&mapp=map.srf

If it doesn't, just go their their homepage & ask for 'Llannerch y Mor'

http://www.streetmap.co.uk/

You need to zoom in to 1/25000 to see what I am on about.

The ship looks reasonably accessible, with footpaths on both sides of the creek & I am looking forward to getting there in about three weeks time.

73s

Marco
Old 6th September 2010, 02:24
Department: Deck
Active: 1963 - 1979

Duke of Lancaster off Google Maps

Attached pic of Duke of Lancaster copied off Google Satellite using Mac Grab.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Duke of Lancaster.jpg (22.9 KB, 264 views)
Old 29th October 2010, 12:25

My location
Duke of Lancaster - cruises

Contributors might like to read about the " Duke of Lancaster" cruising which took place most summers in the 1960's. The company selected her from the 3 vessels ( the others being the " Duke of Rothesay" and the " Duke of Argyll". ) The cruises were usually 10 days duration, and we went down to Portugal and Brittany, also a different route cruising through the Scottish Islands on the west coast. A third destination wa Copenhagen and the Norwegian ports. A great time was had by all, and it was very civilised on the bridge, with no hassle at all. All ponced up in our best uniforms, and taking tea and coffee at regular intervals.

It was popular with regular customers, and being British Rail, we used to joke that they were all kept in sidings in Crewe during the winter months!

I met my wife of 45 years on one of the cruises, as she was in the hairdressing salon and she could hear my dulcet tones over the Tannoy before we met. Oh, sheer nostalgia!!
Old 29th October 2010, 19:14

Question Duke of Lancaster

In 1953 I signed off a ship at Belfast and travelled back to the UK on the BR "Duke of Lancaster" which was operating the Belfast to Heysham route.
A beautiful ship, after departure Belfast I was allowed to visit the bridge and remember the mate on watch telling me that they changed watch's when the vessel was abeam Pt of Ayre, I.O.M.
I believe that this is not the Duke of Lancaster mentioned in this post.
Maybe it was Duke of Lancaster 1, can anyone confirm this ???
Also, is there a photo around.

Cheers.........Glan
Old 3rd November 2010, 10:44

My location
Glan ,
Don't know much about ferries but could this be the one your on about:-

http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/LMS_Heysh...#anchor1284800

scroll down about a third of the page, built in 1928, forunner of the Duke of Lancaster this thread is about.

Dave
Old 3rd November 2010, 18:26

Smile

Hi Dave,

Many thanks....yes, thats the one I have been looking for.

Cheers,
Glan
Old 14th December 2010, 00:51

Marco. Did you ever manage to get up to North Wales and find the Duke of Lancester? Regards Keith
Old 13th July 2011, 14:20
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1970 - 1996

this ship was on bbc coast program 2days ago get on iplayer quite interesting
Old 13th July 2011, 16:21

My location
Try this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...der_to_Border/

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 13th July 2011, 17:21
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

Pardon my ignorance, but how did she get up on the beach there? Was she abandoned there or did she run aground? Seems remarkably intact for a ship that was both aground and abandoned -- lifeboats still there etc. No wreckers left in Wales?
Old 13th July 2011, 18:31
Organisation: Royal Navy
Department: Electrician
Active: 1963 - 1974

Quote:
Originally Posted by ART6 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but how did she get up on the beach there? Was she abandoned there or did she run aground? Seems remarkably intact for a ship that was both aground and abandoned -- lifeboats still there etc. No wreckers left in Wales?
She didn't run aground or is abandoned
Have a look here
http://www.dukeoflancaster.net/index.htm
Old 14th July 2011, 01:09
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1974 - 1990

the duke of lancaster was on tv the other night COAST and i think someone lives on her
Old 14th July 2011, 01:10

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by john blythe View Post
the duke of lancaster was on tv the other night COAST and i think someone lives on her
Yes, this was the link I posted earlier.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...der_to_Border/

"There is no such thing as a bum note...I only take the opportunity to expand the transcendental vibrations to explore the lesser known highways and byways of musical theory! I find it best to play it loud...that way no one can say you did not mean it!" Dorothy Willows

Currently testing: www.cable962.listen2myradio.com
www.yellsoundfm.listen2myradio.com
Old 14th July 2011, 14:33

I visited the Duke of Lancaster last week with access by footpaths on both sides of the creek directly off the main road. Unlike the coast programme you are unable to gain adjacent contact to the ship due to security fencing and a vigilant security guard but either way with a telephoto lense you can get a reasonable picture or so. She is such a sad sight especially when you look at photographs in her operational splender.
Old 22nd September 2011, 19:48
Department: Fishing
Active: 1970 - Present

This ship is a personal favourite of mine & I am a member of the Appreciation Society. The ship has a fascinating history and the owner does still very much care for her but keeps her in the condition she is for a good reason.
I there last Monday and got some brilliant pics (to add to my collection of many!)
Access to the ship is via public footpath at the side. You can see adequately from there. Do not try to enter the dock by climbing the fence as the owners have very tight security and its reputation is feared by many!
Old 23rd September 2011, 20:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain fish View Post
and the owner does still very much care for her but keeps her in the condition she is for a good reason.
the only reason I can see a person keeping a vessel in that condition is, because they can't afford to do anything else with it!!!!

does the appreciation society really appreciate it..........I would have thought that unless they do something about it and soon, there'll be nothing to appreciate but a pile of rusty plates
Old 26th September 2011, 22:32
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

Her engine room is capped full of concrete. Is this correct?

BW

J
Old 17th November 2011, 09:52

My location
Lancaster nostalgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by keith ratcliffe View Post
I visited the Duke of Lancaster last week with access by footpaths on both sides of the creek directly off the main road. Unlike the coast programme you are unable to gain adjacent contact to the ship due to security fencing and a vigilant security guard but either way with a telephoto lense you can get a reasonable picture or so. She is such a sad sight especially when you look at photographs in her operational splender.
Seeing as we are on a nostalgia site, here are a few memories of the Duke of Lancaster in her glory days.

Firstly, she was regarded as the sort of flagship in Heysham harbour in the 60's - the Master was in a prestigious position, even if it was just for the night crossing and he slept most of the way! The atmosphere on the bridge was soporific ( dangerous!) with little noise and 20 plus knots, and just the radar and a lookut either side to warn of any dangers. We kept time to the nearest minute, and more than 5 minutes either side of the schedule on arrival in Belfast called for an explanation from superiors. Can recall sliding around the Point of Ayre, at the North tip of the Isle of Man a few cables off, night after night, and this was the place for a change of watchkeeper on the bridge.

She was a hard working ship, apart from the summer cruises when things were a bit more sedate and a bit more interesting.. During the rest of the year she thrashed backwards and forwards with her sisters, and with up to 2000 passengers. The shipboard routine was well rehearsed and everyone knew the drill which made life easier. Often there were disturbances or fights below in the summer in particular, and handcuffs were used to restrain the passengers ( it's all included in the fare, I would tell them!) One of my lasting memories of the Lancaster is the rather unpleasant smell that hung around the bars, especially aft, in the days of having a second class bar. Stale beer and dried vomit.

We occasionally lost someone overboard ( as all ferries do) and rarely found them in the dark and often choppy sea. The cause was usually play acting after a drinking session. The railway ferries had a wide ' belting ' around them to act as a fender, and the upper one attracted idiots who climbed over to play peek a boo over the rail to their friends.

In the late 60,s we grounded on the rocks outside of Heysham harbour when entering. The grinding noise as we lifted up and down in the swell was terrible. After getting off and later drydocking in Holyhead, I saw the plates underneath and they were twisted and broken, and some were indented in a sort of ' tin hat ; shape, without puncturing. It made me realise how soft and pliable rolled steel can be. The Master was a good friend of mine - Capt. ( Daddy) Greenwood, and he had been guiding her in for 15 years plus without incident, and this happened during the last few weeks of his career. What a blow. He was immensely proud of her , and was heard to say " What a lovely sight we must be " when passing other ships in daylight!

I have just read through the entries above re the present state of the once proud Duke of Lancaster, and it would have been nice if she had gone to her grave in a dignified way. It's all we wish for ourselves, after all.

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 17th November 2011 at 12:07..
Old 22nd February 2012, 23:06

My location
Duke of Lancaster pics

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain fish View Post
This ship is a personal favourite of mine & I am a member of the Appreciation Society. The ship has a fascinating history and the owner does still very much care for her but keeps her in the condition she is for a good reason.
I there last Monday and got some brilliant pics (to add to my collection of many!)
Access to the ship is via public footpath at the side. You can see adequately from there. Do not try to enter the dock by climbing the fence as the owners have very tight security and its reputation is feared by many!
Are your pics of the "Lancaster " posted online anywhere? I would be very interested to see them.....