Members no longer posting. - Page 5 - Ships Nostalgia
14:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Members no longer posting.

User Tag List

Old 5th October 2019, 21:46
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Thanks for your concern OJ , I have been off site for about a month due to a lock out followed by an inability to re establish my connection due to eyesight , age and devilishly tricky temporary log on PIN numbers . After a few frustrating tries and five times failure lock outs I gave it away .
I did miss it after a while and a renewed effort in full daylight saw me break through.
Perhaps a 'chilling' fact is that once locked out there is no alternative way in which to contact the site.

Regards Bob
Old 5th October 2019, 21:58
Active: 1973 - 2009

Good to see your post Bob. Hope you’ve managed to get the difficulties sorted.
ATB OJ
Old 6th October 2019, 06:56
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by spongebob View Post
Thanks for your concern OJ , I have been off site for about a month due to a lock out followed by an inability to re establish my connection due to eyesight , age and devilishly tricky temporary log on PIN numbers . After a few frustrating tries and five times failure lock outs I gave it away .
I did miss it after a while and a renewed effort in full daylight saw me break through.
Perhaps a 'chilling' fact is that once locked out there is no alternative way in which to contact the site.

Regards Bob
Bob,
I was in the same situation, locked out with no way to contact admin but sorted it out by asking another member who I was in touch with to contact them on my behalf.
Albie
Old 6th October 2019, 13:48

Not sure what both "locked out" situations actually refer to but irrespective of whether you're a fully registered member or just a visitor there's always a Contact Us link on the SN "front page." bottom right hand side tool bar.
Old 6th October 2019, 16:38

Since retiring, I sometimes go weeks without switching on the laptop(desktop not switched on for last couple of years). However, some of the posts on this thread have made me chuckle. So, all is not lost.

Best regards to all,

Duncs
Old 6th October 2019, 20:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
Not sure what both "locked out" situations actually refer to but irrespective of whether you're a fully registered member or just a visitor there's always a Contact Us link on the SN "front page." bottom right hand side tool bar.
It doesnt help if you can't actually get on the site in the first place.
It happened to me once, luckily I had the email address of another member, and he contacted site admin on my behalf.
Old 7th October 2019, 06:00
Nursie

My location
I am guilty as charged and haven't been around for a while, although I did post last week for the first time in a long time, on another thread. I once logged into SN everyday but other 'distractions' happened and I fell out of the habit! It certainly wasn't the fault of SN; I will try to do better in future. Having read this thread from beginning to end it was lovely to see so many 'old' familiar/friendly friends posting,
Old 7th October 2019, 06:06
Nursie

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Will Smyth View Post
I have rejoined this ‘group’ today after an absence of many years to address some of the inaccuracies and untruths aimed a Capt. Bill Davies. I worked in consultancy with Bill from 2006 to his passing in January 2013. Throughout my time with Bill he was highly respected and brought a wealth of experience to the work we provided and an inspiration to all his colleagues. With respect to the alleged multiple posting under assumed identities/pseudonyms I would say that this was not the case, as Bill never had the need to resort to such deceit to bolster his arguments. Sure, Bill could be a little abrasive but that comes being confident in all thing’s nautical sessions and from someone who had reached the top of his profession.
What I can also confirm is that me, and two other colleagues (former Deck & Engineer officers ) used to occasionally pass our lunchtime break either supporting Bill or in general ‘stirring the xxit’ just for amusement. Seems a little juvenile now but, that is what happened. Consultancy can be boring!
Initially, Bill was unaware of our activities but, it did not take him too long before our cover was broken and we desisted. I used several pseudonyms and from memory, they were Dave Wilson, Ventry and Brian Locking (Shadowy!) and a few others I have forgotten. I cannot remember the multiple pseudonyms my colleagues posted under and I will leave that for them to clear their conscience should they feel the need to do so.
Anyway, there you have it. Hope this clarifies an ongoing myth.
DVB.
Thank you so much for clearing that up Will, it was very courageous of you. I didn't know Bill apart from SN but did communicate via email several times and always felt the accusations were false. Your group were so good, the evidence certainly stacked up against him - poor man must have been distraught when he found out. Thank you again for clearing a good man's name.
Old 7th October 2019, 08:20

#108 ..There are members past and present including myself who would disagree..
It was my intention to let sleeping dogs lie on this subject but now respond as I temporarily lost my SN membership through Bill Davies and his fourteen or so duplicate user names (aka sock-puppets) to enhance his postinga and was eventually banned himself by SN management for this perfidy...
Until deletion Davies user name recorded the SN management reason for his ban and contrary to any other version is the verity I'll continue to adhere to.

Last edited by R651400; 7th October 2019 at 15:51.. Reason: Syntax
Old 7th October 2019, 08:38

Whatever the truth is behind Bill Davies it is true that the name , plus plus whoever, has become something of a generic term on this site for any multi pop-up activity. The whole episode left such an impact.
As someone who was once involved in legal matters I still tend to take uncorroborated statements cwm grano salis. Sister Eleff's support of that one off posting does help somewhat.
Let's just wait and see if anyone else comes forward but in the meantime 'let sleeping dogs lie'.
Old 7th October 2019, 09:34
Active: 1970 - Present

George Smiley is involved.
Old 7th October 2019, 19:56
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
George Smiley is involved.
But which one is George?

Him?

Or him?

Or maybe him?
Old 7th October 2019, 20:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - 1983

I always look in at the poster(s) who fly the Spanish flag, but are based in the UK. There is one familiarity that intrigues me somewhat.

All part of the richness of S/N.

BW

J
Old 8th October 2019, 04:51

And Hurricane Jack?

Always the chentleman.

What might have become of him?
Old 8th October 2019, 06:48
Active: 1970 - Present

I can do a passable impression of Sunny Jim, especially in the Galley.
Old 8th October 2019, 08:59

I just passed what was definitely Lord Lucan in the street, heading for Dombås I believe he was.
Old 8th October 2019, 10:16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
It doesnt help if you can't actually get on the site in the first place.
It happened to me once, luckily I had the email address of another member, and he contacted site admin on my behalf.
Apols for not responding earlier to above which if was the case and seems to be with others then I can only concur there is something amiss with internal SN comms.
In my case when "locked out" the temporary password I received automatically ie a jumble of uper and lower case letters figs and symbols which after cut/pasted worked first time and still retained as my passwrod today..
Agree if all else fail here should be a SN management/moderator email address to exclusively contact and get back in.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:19

I was spuriously banned back when SN was in turmoil and at it's lowest ebb, but was still able to get the home page up and was listed as 'User'. After a 'contact us' message to Admin, I was reinstated but no explanation. I still can't see that it was possibly a 'computer glitch', as hinted and feel someone was causing trouble for SN.

JJ.
Old 8th October 2019, 11:19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sister Eleff View Post
I am guilty as charged and haven't been around for a while, although I did post last week for the first time in a long time, on another thread. I once logged into SN everyday but other 'distractions' happened and I fell out of the habit! It certainly wasn't the fault of SN; I will try to do better in future. Having read this thread from beginning to end it was lovely to see so many 'old' familiar/friendly friends posting,
Great to have you back on board Sis.

Do have a look in on Stormy Weather (EU thread) where I'm sure you will find a few in need of a medicament review.

BW

J
Old 8th October 2019, 20:31

An invitation to join this site arrived in my computer in 2006.Several years passed before I started to post, encouraged by our good friend Hugh Ferguson. That was at the time of the Costa Concordia incident.

By far the most interesting character in the site at that time was the late Stan Mayes, who had served as Mate of a Thames sailing-barge before WWII - followed by a deep-sea war record of which any man would be proud. Stan, however, was not a proud man. He told things as he had experienced them, nothing more and nothing less.

Cheers, Stan.
Old 8th October 2019, 20:43

Yes Barrie, a proud but hugely modest man indeed was Stan. Huge Ferguson was a prolific poster too commanding much respect with his postings and knowledge. I believe he was not in good health and eyesight failing him.

Each sadly missed.

BW

J
Old 9th October 2019, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
I always look in at the poster(s) who fly the Spanish flag, but are based in the UK. There is one familiarity that intrigues me somewhat.

All part of the richness of S/N.

BW

J
Sean, you seem to be on some sort of a roll in everything BD and in many respects you haven’t changed a bit from the ‘Glenbeg’days. Always into the ‘intrigue’ and ‘subterfuge’. Last month it was ‘Seaman 38’ who you accusing of being BD and the month earlier ‘a.another’. I reckon you have accused more posters of being Bill than the number of his ‘alleged’ assumed aliases. Like Pat Kennedy, I too knew of several people from the BF who actually sailed with Bill Davies and from all accounts he was a good shipmate and seaman. I am prepared to believe Will Smyth has given it straight so, at least have some respect. You are not doing yourself any favours carrying on this comedy.
BW
Alec
Old 9th October 2019, 11:05

I do not recall "accusing" Seaman 38 of being anyone other than himself. As a matter of correction I admire and respect Seaman 38 for his erudite and honest postings- the latter could not be attributed to the Captain personified.

Yes, if have I had serious doubts about the true personality and intentions of of particular poster on a particular thread I (like others) on occasions sought to tease additional info from the particular poster. I do not recall having my curiosity satisfied by any so challenged.

Glenbeg??????

I would venture to suggest that S/N is better served without the said captain and any other individual with the same mindset of creating multiple accounts for reasons of deception and ridicule of others.

I have never questioned his ability or comraderie on board as I have never sailed with him.

Will Symth??????

Yes, I do read the posting of others in the many threads/ matters that interest me. On a decreasing number of occasions I may look at the trend of a particular poster.

BW

J
Old 9th October 2019, 12:26
Active: 1952 - 1998

My location
I concur that Stan Mayes was a very interesting contributor. I exchanged many e-mails with him as he was a fund of information. I remembered him when he was in charge f the rigging gang for Palm Line at Tilbury dock as he brought a newspaper down each morning.
Old 9th October 2019, 15:09

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcg View Post
I do not recall "accusing" Seaman 38 of being anyone other than himself. As a matter of correction I admire and respect Seaman 38 for his erudite and honest postings
Thank you for your kind words. I do not recall being accused of being multiple selfs, one of me is enough for anybody, including myself, even my mother if she were alive would agree with that!