Texaco and the "Liverpool" - Ships Nostalgia
07:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Texaco and the "Liverpool"

User Tag List

Old 28th August 2013, 23:06
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1982

Texaco and the "Liverpool"

Was anyone aboard the "Texaco Liverpool" when she grounded on Admiral Stellingwerf reef outside Singapore in the late '70's, I think '78?

Like to hear from you if you were, or know of it. I was R/O on her at the time.

Paul
Old 29th August 2013, 08:47

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Braxton View Post
Was anyone aboard the "Texaco Liverpool" when she grounded on Admiral Stellingwerf reef outside Singapore in the late '70's, I think '78?

Paul
I do know of that incident and I sailed with the Master -Tom Brown who wa subsequently demoted to Ch Officer for a period before employment offshore.
Texaco were able to repair the vessel and got what was virtually a free dry docking from the insurance.
JC
Old 29th August 2013, 19:54
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1977

No but I was on the Texaco Westminster when she broke loose in Palermo floating dock and grounded ..... "shipwrecked" in port!
Old 30th August 2013, 09:19

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor View Post
No but I was on the Texaco Westminster when she broke loose in Palermo floating dock and grounded ..... "shipwrecked" in port!
I was Master of the Texaco Westminster when we were shipwrecked -it was an exciting time for all concerned. Great to hear from someone who shared that experience.
JC
Old 30th August 2013, 11:56

My location
Was on the Westminster when she got pulled off the berth at Pulau Bukom, 1973.

Main sea suction stuck closed, no water to condenser.
I was on 12-4, came down to bar at 2330 to get some cold cokes to scene like a zombie meeting, bar full, nobody speaking, all staring ahead with eyes on stalks. 5 tugs had been ordered, 2 collided with each other, the 3 left had pulled us off berth full of gas, narrowly missed adjacent vessels and the hook was dropped ASAP.
A night to remember.
Old 30th August 2013, 13:11

John....I was the C/O and the Westminster was my first venture onto tankers (they had figured that I could understand tank cleaning) after being on only cargo vessels prior (Ellerman Lines). Must admit I found it a complete change and after being flown to Singapore after the incident to join the Texaco Greenwich....I left Texaco. Joined CP and for my previous sins was sent to their Lord Strathcona as after 9 months with Texaco I was a "tanker expert". It took the treat of resigning that put me on bulkers.
Old 30th August 2013, 14:36

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael Taylor View Post
John....I was the C/O and the Westminster was my first venture onto tankers (they had figured that I could understand tank cleaning) after being on only cargo vessels prior (Ellerman Lines). Must admit I found it a complete change and after being flown to Singapore after the incident to join the Texaco Greenwich....I left Texaco. Joined CP and for my previous sins was sent to their Lord Strathcona as after 9 months with Texaco I was a "tanker expert". It took the treat of resigning that put me on bulkers.
Thanks for info Michael - when did you join the Westminster? I joined her as she was at anchor at Palermo attempting to tank clean for ship yarding and we had to give up and go to Malta for it to be done. She was the biggest vessel to enter Valetta port at that time. I could write a book about that ship and the career she had - why did she survive?
Old 30th August 2013, 21:35
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Texaco.

Going a bit off-spec on this topic,

John Campbell, sailed with you on Texaco Frankfurt about 1974, happy days. After that trip I'm sure you could write a book about the Frankfurt as well. Don't mention German engineering.
Old 30th August 2013, 21:59

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
Going a bit off-spec on this topic,

John Campbell, sailed with you on Texaco Frankfurt about 1974, happy days. After that trip I'm sure you could write a book about the Frankfurt as well. Don't mention German engineering.
Hi Eng Serang, yes happy days on Frankfurt and it was no fun for the Engineers serving on these one boiler ships. They finally got inert gas retro fitted or they would have blown up like her sister ships of that era in Shell
I trust that as old man" I treated you well etc. Thanks for the memory
JC
Old 31st August 2013, 12:44

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Campbell View Post
Thanks for info Michael - when did you join the Westminster? I joined her as she was at anchor at Palermo attempting to tank clean for ship yarding and we had to give up and go to Malta for it to be done. She was the biggest vessel to enter Valetta port at that time. I could write a book about that ship and the career she had - why did she survive?
John...I joined her in Brunsbuttel 24.08.73 and left 11.10.73 in Palermo (your signature in my Dis. Book). We attempted to tank clean on the passage from Germany but it was impossible with the amount of sludge and so few crew to get any thing done....I thought we then went to Valetta where she was then cleaned and then onto the floating dock in Palermo. I believe after the incident where water had entered via the open tail shaft she was towed to Italy.
We stayed ashore in Palermo and the dry dock broke loose in a storm just before we all left for the night. Remember being on the bridge with you and the rest having a whiskey and as you said....what else can we do?
Old 31st August 2013, 22:08

My location
Quote:

Paul
I think there should be an 'off topic' button on this forum as your original question has gone off beam somewhat ... I'm fascinated that you can get from 'Liverpool' to 'Westminster' in 2 steps. Lets hope someone gets back to your original question. I'm interested in your recollection. So, as an ex-RO, can you tell us more?
Old 31st August 2013, 23:38
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1969 - 1982

Hi bbyrne98. See what you mean... There's not that much to tell really, I was just interested to see if anyone who was onboard at the time could enlighten me as to the outcome and findings of any subsequent inquiry into the grounding.

I don't recall all that much about the actual striking of the reef, apart from a sudden cessation of forward movement! It was the only time in my career when the odd sensation of a sudden, complete stop while under way at full speed made itself felt; a very strange and alien feeling. I was, if I remember it aright, on the morning, 8 - 12 watch in the radio room. There was very little sound or violent motion, just this sudden halt. In fact, it was eerily quiet. It soon became apparent what had happened. All hell broke loose, of course. I seem to remember we were towed into the drydock, but I may be wrong there. Possibly she was able to make it on her own. When we looked at the damage to her forward section later on, we could see just how extensive it was: she had a large hole, big enough to drive a bus through, probably, the hull plates peeled back like the proverbial sardine can. It meant we had 6 weeks or so in the Jurong drydock outside the city, which was a bit of a silver lining for me at least. We used to go ashore every evening to the wonderful Jurong bowl, where we started the night off with a session of ten pin bowling, before going up the road into the city. Oh those wonderful food stalls all along the road!

The name Brown rings a slight bell as to the captain's name, though there is another (illegible) signature in my discharge book when I paid off. Without trying to cast any slurs on the captain, I personally believe he was very ill, an alcoholic in fact. Just after I joined the ship (in Dubai, 12/77) I was informed that with regard to the master: "Don't bother trying to ask him anything after about 1100; you won't get anything out of him after that".

After the grounding all the bridge officers had to prepare and type out individual statements. It fell to me to have to do the typing as it was dictated from each. When it came to the captain's turn, he was so out of it with alcohol that he was virtually impossible to understand. I can still see him sitting by my side as I sat at the typewriter, a glass of booze in his hand, mumbling incoherently. In the end I had to get the mate to translate for me, it was that bad. I'm certainly not surprised that he was demoted. Lucky he wasn't castigated even further.

The bridge watch at the time, and for some time period prior to the grounding had been managed by a good mate of mine, a cadet from Sturry in Canterbury, whose name I can no longer recall. The mate was on day work and my friend had sole charge of the morning, 8 - 12 watch. I don't know how the reef went unnoticed until too late. It was well charted. I felt really sorry for my cadet friend and hope it didn't damage his confidence for the future. The 2/0 and 3/0 were both really good guys; the 2/0 was an Indian, the 3/0 a very tall bloke from somewhere in the south of England; great guys, as I say.

I see from my discharge book that I paid off at the end of March '78 in Bahrain, so the incident obviously occurred sometime within that time frame.

We replaced the (I think) Marconi Raymark radar whilst in drydock with a new Raytheon unit. Perhaps they blamed the poor old Raymark for not showing up the reef! I worked with the shore tech to do that installation, which was quite instructive. A good radar, I seem to recall.

I've always wondered what the outcome was. I've tried a few times to find out online but always drawn a blank, hence the posting here.

All the best, Paul.
Old 22nd December 2019, 20:42
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - Present

Has anyone any idea what has happened to the Texaco Overseas Tankship Association website?
Old 24th December 2019, 13:37
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:

Paul
No, but I was 3/O on the British Trent alongside in Bandar Mahshahr, October 1975 when the Texaco Liverpool went astern and sat on our main-deck, cracking the hull open and spraying naptha out everywhere!!