Runic - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
17:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Runic

User Tag List

Old 23rd March 2009, 15:18

I believe that the catastrophe which overcame the runic had already happened to the suvic ,which was a sister ship and built close to the time of the runic in belfast
Old 24th March 2009, 01:16

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by pelicanos View Post
I believe that the catastrophe which overcame the runic had already happened to the suvic ......
Please explain
Old 22nd April 2009, 10:30

Hi there,

Thought this might be of interest:

My father, Leon Middleditch, was the Ship’s Baker on the refrigerated freighter Runic the night that it ran aground on Middleton Reef, 120 miles north of Lord Howe Island. His account of the affair is as follows:

The ship had left from Liverpool and had completed a circuit around Australia consisting of Freemantle-Adelaide-Melbourne-Sydney-Brisbane. The next leg was to be across the Tasman Sea to Auckland, New Zealand, to pick up apples and lamb. Upon leaving Brisbane there was heavy cloud cover due to poor weather, which prevented any sun-sighting causing the ship to be off-course, and resulted in the ship hitting the reef at night. The impact occurred in stormy conditions at around 1am throwing men from their bunks, striking the reef bow-on but with the stern still remaining afloat. Lifeboats were prepared with stores in readiness for an evacuation, but were thankfully not needed. At daylight a crew-member checked the superstructure for damage and found that a fresh water tank in the bow section was damaged. Due to the severe stormy conditions and the empty hold, the ballast tanks were filled in order to stabilise the ship and reduce bouncing on the reef.

After two or three days the rescue ships arrived and some crew and passengers were transferred to sister ships. The remaining crew consisted of a few deck officers, engineers to keep the electric generators running, the bosun and deck crew to assist with refloating efforts, and the cook and baker to feed both the crews of the Runic and the rescue tugs.

A severe tropical storm then blew into the area and swung the ship side-on, and about 10m further onto the reef. The rescue tug crews cut holes into the upper superstructure to feed out seven wire cables, which had anchors attached. These were dropped onto the seabed about a kilometre back from the ship, rather than into the soft coral nearby. The cables were attached to the Runic’s winches in preparation for pulling the ship off the reef and into deeper water. At this stage they were able to pull the ship back to being bow-on to the reef, with the cables fanned out to the seabed behind the ship. The tugs stayed on standby, waiting for the next spring tide to use their power and the Runic’s winches to refloat the vessel. Unfortunately a cyclone warning was received, which caused the attempt to be called off – cables were disconnected and the tugs retreated to Lord Howe Island to shelter from the incoming storm.

The cyclone hit the reef with 10-15m waves that broke over the Runic. Portholes were smashed. The gangway was carried over the ship and lost. Lifeboats were ripped off their davits and hurled over the opposite side of the ship. Despite being heavily ballasted, the Runic was lifted and turned side-on to the waves, and was then bounced a further 200m across the reef, leaving behind a wide swath of coral that was crushed into sand. The steel plating on the seaward side of the ship was split open by the massive waves and the engine room was flooded, cutting power and lights. The noise inside the ship as the big waves pounded the vessel was deafening. The cyclone lasted two and half days before calm weather finally returned.

Due to the lack of power and ventilation in the kitchen, the only suitable area for cooking was in the hold, which was converted for cooking barbeque style, using halved oil drums with cargo dunnage for fuel. Since there was no power for the freezers, any frozen food was wrapped in the dining room table cloths to keep it fresh for as long as possible. The crew were able to catch fish on the reef – grouper and shark – for fresh fare. There was no running water so toilets were flushed with sea water, and showers had to be taken using sea water. Fresh water was strictly rationed. Small items that could be salvaged were dismantled, and the ships’s liquor store was unlocked and packed ready for salvage. The tugs returned to try and salvage the anchor cables, and then left for Sydney.

After a number of weeks, a sister ship arrived to take off all remaining crew and any salvageable material, and the ship was finally abandoned. The crew were then housed in the Naval Barracks in Sydney for a few days, before flying back to the UK via Darwin and India. Relief supplies had been stacked in the ship’s bridge for assistance to any shipwrecked mariners who might meet with the same unfortunate fate as the Runic. In 1978, yachtsman Bill Belcher was shipwrecked on the Middleton reef, and it may be that he was able to make use of these supplies during his epic tale of survival, which culminated in a four-week journey in his liferaft before rescue by a freighter off the Queensland coast.
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:31

My location
Welcome aboard, Middleditch, and thanks for your excellent first post.
A first hand account is always of great interest.
Find your way around and have a good voyage.
Old 22nd April 2009, 11:55

Interesting story, Middleditch. Nice touch about the stores left for future un fortunates. Hope your father is keeping well.

John T.
Old 24th April 2009, 09:53

Thanks,

Yes he is still getting around at 74 - I was glad he could remember so much of the shipwreck, as it was so long ago. The Runic was his last voyage in the Merchant Navy - no wonder!

Martin
Old 5th November 2009, 03:13

excellent stories and information on "Runic" . I was given a old chart to use, on the back was a hand drawn chart of Middleton reef. On it is marked runic, and 2 other wrecks. Its been great to read what happened to her.
Old 5th November 2009, 06:21
Spongebob
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1961

Middleditch, that is a great account of the Runic’s stranding and brings to mind a story that I have posted before about another stranding

There was a mad mariner, a Welshman named Irfon Nicholas who sailed from Europe to Auckland via various ports in a 30 odd foot Ferro-cement yacht that had the charming name of “Sospan Fach”, Welsh for little saucepan and named after a little ditty that the town of Llanelli is famous for.
It is supposed to be the most famous nonsense song sung at Welsh rugby union matches.

Apparently Irfron’s crew left him in Auckland and when it became time to move on to Sydney he advertised in the local paper for new recruits and took on an Australian male and two NZ women all in search of adventure.
I remember the bloke, a reticent sort of character, and his boat, a doubtful example of a sound craft, and the sort of boat that we used to call a floating septic tank.
The skipper left Auckland in 1974 without notifying the local Marine Authorities and getting a certificate of sea worthiness, headed to North Cape before setting a westerly course toward Australia and by this time he had already started to quarrel with his crew. Some time after the drama that follows I remember reading that the crew expressed doubts about his navigational skills and were told that to get to Australia you just sailed to the top of NZ, turned left and sailed to the best weather advantage until you sighted Aussie then coast down to Sydney!!
Needless to say that plan did not work and they finished up going aground on the notorious Middleton Reef, graveyard to many ships, one of the biggest being the “Runic” that went aground during a cyclone in 1961. Luckily for “Sospan Fach” crew they were able to find shelter and food on a nearby Japanese trawler wreck “Fuku Maru” that ran aground in 1963 in high seas. This wreck has been replenished with supplies and used as a food cache for ship wrecked sailors ever since.
They were eventually able to signal a passing ship and get rescued..

Bob

Last edited by spongebob; 5th November 2009 at 06:43..
Old 5th November 2009, 06:29
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Bob, it's Llanelli
Old 5th November 2009, 06:48
Spongebob
Active: 1957 - 1961

Billiboy, apologies for that, an offense to the Land of my Fathers.
I have a cousin living in Ynysybwl so I should have known better!

Bob
Old 5th November 2009, 06:50

My location
I was R/O on the Alaric/GWRQ and we were in Brisbane with the Runic. We heard the news that she had hit Middleton Reef, the 3rd Mate had been 3rd Mate on Alaric then had been transferred to the Crusader Line and then on to Runic to return to the UK for Leave. We on Alaric took on the Salvage Equipment, extra bunkers for the Brisbane tug which had gone out to the Reef and Captain Williams (?) the Salvage expert and went to Middleton Reef where we drifted off for over a week transferring the anchors and salvage gear using our lifeboats for that purpose. I spent a lot of time on the Bridge
with the echo-sounder going and when it started to show shallow water informed Captain Vizer and we would start engines and steam out for a bit. I believe when she hit the engines were rung full astern but only one engine responded and caused her to slew sideways on to the Reef. She was tidal when we got there and as bunkers had been discharged had oil all over the superstructure due to the wind and sea. We remained there until running short on fuel and water then proceeded to Sydney and resumed our normal run to Melbourne Adelaide Fremantle Genoa and London. Two things come to mind
1) That was the first time a Master had been allowed to take his wife on a deepsea voyage, also the Manager of West Australia and wife were on board,
2) The R/O had to dismantle all the Radio Equipment himself and lower it on to lifeboats, Marconi insisted.
3) The aircraft taking the crew home to the UK experienced engine trouble and had to make a forced landing.
Regards Ern Barrett
Old 31st December 2009, 07:41

Glad I found this site!!

I worked and then lived on Lord Howe Island for some time and have made several boat and plane trips to Middleton Reef.
I have a large selection of photos showing what the ellements can do to a ship in harsh conditions.
I have photos from 1961 to the end of 2008.
The attached show the Monray Frontier, a 23 mtr Fiberglass boat the joined the Runic on the 29th July,1998.
I hope all interested enjoy the pics. I can post more if there is interest.
Col
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0281 (2).JPG (25.6 KB, 140 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0398 (2).JPG (23.5 KB, 135 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0363.JPG (66.9 KB, 133 views)
Old 31st December 2009, 08:18

My location
Hi Col,

Welcome to SN.

I for one would be interested to see further pics of Middleton reef, especially of Runic.
Old 31st December 2009, 09:34

My location
Just uploaded some pic's to gallery, given to me by the 3rd Engineer who was on watch when she hit the reef he was checking turbo feed pump bearings and nearly ended in bilges his Name is Bruce (jimmy) Andrews and is now retired and living in Fremantel WA. He was on reef for 6 weeks. Have couple more of the lads on way home in Bombay and what is left of her will post later.

Last edited by GWB; 31st December 2009 at 09:36.. Reason: Finish post
Old 31st December 2009, 21:04

My location
Hi GWB,

Many thanks for the set of "Runic on the reef" pics

I asked about a date, but after reading your post here, I can see it was in the 6 weeks following the grounding on 19.2.61.
Old 7th February 2010, 06:02

Runic

I have just posted more pics of the Runic on Middleton Reef. These fill in a few gaps. Not much left now however I am hoping to have another look this year sometime.
Regards,
Col
Old 7th February 2010, 06:21

My location
Question

Where did you post them Col, I can't seem to find them ???
Old 7th February 2010, 07:02

Runic pics

John
All seemed okay this end. How long do they take to come up? I uploaded 4 into Maritime Casualties. I will try again
Col
Old 7th February 2010, 07:40
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
About 1960 I acquired a 'Skyphotos of Lympe Airport' catalogue.
In the preamble bit there was a photo of a liberty or victory on the Goodwin Sands in two halves. The other photo on the page was of the Runic outward bound with a bone in her teeth. The text suggested that no such end could befall a well found ship like her....
Old 7th February 2010, 07:47
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mca View Post
John
All seemed okay this end. How long do they take to come up? I uploaded 4 into Maritime Casualties. I will try again
Col
Col, good evening to you; thank you for your kind efforts, but from what I can see, it seems they have not uploaded - perhaps you may wish to try again.

Mark
Old 25th February 2010, 04:38

Runic

I have uploaded more Runic photos today. Sorry for the delay. I fixed my problem with pic. uploads by taking the computer on a one way trip to the tip and have started with a new one.
All good so far.
These pics fill in a few gaps between the pics already there.
Enjoy.
Col

Last edited by Col Mca; 25th February 2010 at 04:41..
Old 25th February 2010, 09:43

Quote:
Originally Posted by Col Mca View Post
I have uploaded more Runic photos today. Sorry for the delay. I fixed my problem with pic. uploads by taking the computer on a one way trip to the tip and have started with a new one.
All good so far.
These pics fill in a few gaps between the pics already there.
Enjoy.
Col
I have been informed that these pics are too small and thanks to the guidance of another member I will reload these at a larger size in the morning.
How do I get someone to remove the ones I posted today??
Thanks Col
Old 25th February 2010, 10:34
Active: 1962 - 1970

My location
Just PM one of the the moderators that are on duty, they are in red on the front page!
Old 25th February 2010, 11:28

My location
They have gone.
It would have been possible to change the existing pictures by using the edit photo button under each of your pictures.
Old 25th February 2010, 15:59

Memories of the Runic, she was berthed astern of us (Australia Star) at Aotea quay during the dock strike 1951, we spent ages there the Dominion Monarch sailed to the UK and we still tied up there when she came months later. sad the way she went.