Cammell Lairds propose New dry-dock - Ships Nostalgia
02:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Cammell Lairds propose New dry-dock

User Tag List

Old 1st February 2018, 18:50
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2009

Cammell Lairds propose New dry-dock

Well they are proposing to build a massive new dry-dock ! Do they know something about our new aircraft carriers we don't ? https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news...e-new-10817256
Old 1st February 2018, 19:31
James_C James_C is offline   SN Supporter
Malim Sahib Moderator
Department: Navigation

My location
Well the only two drydocks capable of taking the new carriers are in Scotland, so they perhaps have one eye on that.

Jim
Old 1st February 2018, 20:05

It will require enormous skill to shunt one of those things into a drydock lying (presumably) at 90 degrees to a fiercely tidal estuary.

I do not suggest that the skill might be lacking. Merely that it will be needed more than ever before.
Old 1st February 2018, 21:09

I wonder where the new dock would be sited Steve. They can't extend No5 dock any further. Perhaps make six and seven into one dock and extend it as far as the A41 that would seem the obvious option.
It seems the reason for this development is linked to the new Liverpool 2 river berth which is expected to be used by the next generation of giant container ships, nothing to do with aircraft carriers.

By the way, I see that both the cranes at No 5 dock have been parked up for several months now and all the cranage provided by mobile cranes. It looks like that is the future scenario in the yard, no permanent cranes, just bring in mobiles as and when required. Sad

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 1st February 2018 at 21:11..
Old 1st February 2018, 21:49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I wonder where the new dock would be sited Steve. They can't extend No5 dock any further. Perhaps make six and seven into one dock and extend it as far as the A41 that would seem the obvious option.
It seems the reason for this development is linked to the new Liverpool 2 river berth which is expected to be used by the next generation of giant container ships, nothing to do with aircraft carriers.

By the way, I see that both the cranes at No 5 dock have been parked up for several months now and all the cranage provided by mobile cranes. It looks like that is the future scenario in the yard, no permanent cranes, just bring in mobiles as and when required. Sad
You are probably right about converting 6 and 7 docks Pat, but I can't help feeling that it would end up as a "white elephant" as the only business it would get, would be emergency dockings and would not get regular trade ,as it would not be able to compete with foreign yards, on both cost and quality. Having taken ships to various docks abroad and also working at Cammell Lairds, I have insider knowledge, sad to say It's not helped by the recent 2 day strike of the staff for better pay and conditions ! Some things never change
Old 1st February 2018, 22:05

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
You are probably right about converting 6 and 7 docks Pat, but I can't help feeling that it would end up as a "white elephant" as the only business it would get, would be emergency dockings and would not get regular trade ,as it would not be able to compete with foreign yards, on both cost and quality. Having taken ships to various docks abroad and also working at Cammell Lairds, I have insider knowledge, sad to say It's not helped by the recent 2 day strike of the staff for better pay and conditions ! Some things never change
I have heard that pay and conditions in the yard are not that good, and that John Sivwright is a difficult man to deal with regarding any improvements in that area,
Strange considering his father, Jimmy Sivwright was union convenor in the yard back in the 1960s/70s, and was a regular firebrand.
Jimmy was a "tin wacker".

regards,
Pat
Old 2nd February 2018, 00:59
Active: 1962 - 1964

Pat, we had a song about that:

The working class can kiss my ass,
I've got a foreman's job at last.

A concise comment upon the human condition.
Old 2nd February 2018, 08:21

There's no need there's one just across the Irish sea
Old 2nd February 2018, 10:54
Active: 1954 - 1981

bit late in the day arent they
Old 2nd February 2018, 14:20
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966

My location
The Press article states that, when built, the drydock would be able to cope with future generations of container ships that can carry 20,000 TEU. That is back to the future, I think, because there are already ships bigger than that in service and on the stocks.

Of course we have to bear in mind that the article is written by a journalist.

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Old 2nd February 2018, 15:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
The Press article states that, when built, the drydock would be able to cope with future generations of container ships that can carry 20,000 TEU. That is back to the future, I think, because there are already ships bigger than that in service and on the stocks.

Of course we have to bear in mind that the article is written by a journalist.
And dated two years ago.
So did they build it?
Old 2nd February 2018, 15:42
Department: Deck
Active: 1955 - Present

Having been on the Landing Stage at Liverpool many times on the E.D. mail boats I have experienced that Mersey ebb and flow and then becoming a ULCC Pilot in Saldanha Bay where a 180* turn had to be execuyed in a turning basin I can appreciate all Barrie's comments. It will be a real power job!
Old 2nd February 2018, 17:10

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodend View Post
Having been on the Landing Stage at Liverpool many times on the E.D. mail boats I have experienced that Mersey ebb and flow and then becoming a ULCC Pilot in Saldanha Bay where a 180* turn had to be execuyed in a turning basin I can appreciate all Barrie's comments. It will be a real power job!
Having being on a ULCC in ballast, exiting the Suez Canal once and the wind got hold of the ship, causing us to got out sideways and demolishing a few buoys in the process ! I appreciate what you say
Old 27th February 2018, 02:07

UK Large dry docks

Of course we had one down here in the South at Southampton. The King George V dry dock. Which I understand at 366m long x 41m wide and 15m deep would have been able to easily handle the new carriers for example, which would have been a little handy as they are based only 15 miles away in Portsmouth.
Sadly in 2005 the Caisson gates were removed but the pump house remains as a listed building !
The dock is now used as a wet dock dealing with the shipping of scrap metals.

Last edited by carbontek; 27th February 2018 at 02:10.. Reason: addition
Old 27th February 2018, 02:22
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
I have heard that pay and conditions in the yard are not that good, and that John Sivwright is a difficult man to deal with regarding any improvements in that area,
Strange considering his father, Jimmy Sivwright was union convenor in the yard back in the 1960s/70s, and was a regular firebrand.
Jimmy was a "tin wacker".

regards,
Pat
Hey Pat, did you notice you put a "c" in Wacker instead of an "n". One of the contributors to there being no shipbuilding left in the Uk.
Old 27th February 2018, 10:55
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by carbontek View Post
Of course we had one down here in the South at Southampton. The King George V dry dock. Which I understand at 366m long x 41m wide and 15m deep would have been able to easily handle the new carriers for example, which would have been a little handy as they are based only 15 miles away in Portsmouth.
Sadly in 2005 the Caisson gates were removed but the pump house remains as a listed building !
The dock is now used as a wet dock dealing with the shipping of scrap metals.
I lived in Southampton for six months when I did my MED back in 1975. I went on Google Earth to find this dock, and I did, but that city seems to have changed a lot. I barely recognized anything !!