SS ATLANTIS UK to NZ - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
11:18

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

SS ATLANTIS UK to NZ

User Tag List

Old 16th August 2015, 07:59
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1955 - 1963

I have a "silver" ashtray with an enameled RMSP badge with the name "Atlantis" above it in the centre. Must have been a souvenir of a cruise at some time.
Purserjuk
Old 18th August 2015, 02:28

In the time I went to sea I recall a Royal Mail liner, which I have always believed to be Atlantis, charted by the Netherlands government to carry dependents from the Dutch East Indies, prior to it becoming Indonesia.
There were so many babies born during the passage, and she became known as the S.S. Storch.

She could have picked up this charter after delivering British immigrants to Oz or NZ. Anybody else remember, or heard of it?
Old 19th August 2015, 12:15
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1964

SS Atlantis

Samsette you are probably right, I know she did carry some Dutch passangers so it`s most likely the ones you mention. T.C.
Old 25th January 2016, 09:42

Atlantis

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertTaylor View Post
Hi I was on the Atlantis and arrived in Wellington in October 1951. I have a huge collection of pictures of her. Please contact me on
[email protected]
Regards

Robert Taylor
Dear Robert,
Have just joined the site five minutes ago....found your knowledge of the ship fascinating. I am also nearly 70, in about 18 months time. My mother sailed out on her in December '47 shortly after my birth, and until last year I never knew her name or what she looked like. I am in Wellington right now to meet my two NEW brothers and a NEW sister !! We have been searching for any news etc. in the maritime museum. Unfortunately Mum died last year but at least I have found my younger siblings. After visiting Auckland next week we will be off back to our home in Spain.
Kindest regards,
John Ryan
Old 10th May 2017, 10:54

Hi Tony.
What was your Grandfather's name? Was he the Captain for the three years that the ship was in service from the UK to NZ?
I am researching my father's voyage to New Zealand.
Old 10th May 2017, 20:23
Department: Deck
Active: 1959 - 1964

Hi Liz. G.Fathers name was Arthur Robert Osburn Captain MV Palma torpedoed and sunk Indian Ocean 29 Feb 1944 by U 183 took command of Atlantis after the war untill it was taken out of service and he retired 1951
Old 1st February 2018, 00:06

My parents came out to NZ on the Atlantis, sailed ex Southampton 29 July 1949, arrived Wellington 11 September 1949. They travelled out separately, but met for the first time on their first day at sea (the rest, as they say, is history). Mum is Thelma Carnegie, Dad is John (Jack) Braid. Passenger List is available on the Ancestry website.
Old 29th March 2018, 17:23

Hi Iíve just got on to this site as I have been going through my late Motherís memorabilia & came across her seamanís log. She was a nurse on the Atlantis end of 1949 - 51. Tony Clynes Grand Father was her Captain. I know she really enjoyed her time on the ship & I still have her cabin table from the ship when she came out of service.
Old 17th June 2019, 10:42

My father was a Steward on SS Atlantis around 1950 and I came across these menus
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_328f.jpg (15.4 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_328e.jpg (15.0 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_3283.jpg (21.0 KB, 6 views)
Old 17th June 2019, 12:03

Brief history of "Atlantis" (ex "Andes") here:
http://www.theyard.info/ships/434.asp