Trinity House Ships - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
22:07

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

Trinity House Ships

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #26  
Old 8th December 2014, 10:13
raf1387 raf1387 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 193
Thanks Martyn's I will order it from the library
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 15th December 2014, 14:29
Porthole Billy Porthole Billy is offline  
Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 2004
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 13
THV Mermaid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hugh Ferguson View Post
See enclosed attachment of the Cruise cabin in PATRICIA.
Having served aboard both Mermaid and Patricia I know which one I preferred and it wasn't the one built in Barrow. You may argue that Pat is the prettier ship but if you are on board 2 weeks on and 2 weeks off practicallity and comfort come first. Give me Mermaid any day but of course both ships have their adherents.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 16th February 2015, 09:12
david freeman david freeman is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,035
Elder Brethern

Question: Mind in neutral? I once worked with Capt Peter Mason (1972 (JesterOf BP Tankers), who became an elder Brethern of TH and ended his career working for Trinity House.
While I knew Peter, ! What or who is an Elder Brethern, and is there a roll or script of such people in this post(s) and what was their role? Was it Advisory or paid post, and in some way a function of TH.

Last edited by david freeman; 16th February 2015 at 09:12.. Reason: editing
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 16th February 2015, 11:14
R870879 R870879 is offline  
Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
My location
Posts: 30
I was an O/S aboard THV Winston Churchill in 1968, operating out of their East Cowes depot on the Isle of Wight before leaving to do my lifeboat and EDH certificates in Southampton. Went into the MN from there.
Difficult and often dangerous work, jumping onto buoys in rough seas, to change gas cylinders or to attach the cargo hook and land them on deck to service and scrape the weed and barnacles off below the waterline. I remember being called out on Boxing Day to spend Xmas week dragging the Needles channel with a grappling hook, looking for the Fairway buoy that had been hit by a ship and sunk. Found and recovered it on New Years eve, dropped it at the depot then straight back out again.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 16th February 2015, 11:28
cueball44's Avatar
cueball44 cueball44 is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 17,504
Quote:
Originally Posted by R870879 View Post
I was an O/S aboard THV Winston Churchill in 1968, operating out of their East Cowes depot on the Isle of Wight before leaving to do my lifeboat and EDH certificates in Southampton. Went into the MN from there.
Difficult and often dangerous work, jumping onto buoys in rough seas, to change gas cylinders or to attach the cargo hook and land them on deck to service and scrape the weed and barnacles off below the waterline. I remember being called out on Boxing Day to spend Xmas week dragging the Needles channel with a grappling hook, looking for the Fairway buoy that had been hit by a ship and sunk. Found and recovered it on New Years eve, dropped it at the depot then straight back out again.
"Scrape the weed and barnacles off below the waterline". Smelled of bad eggs, Ugh!.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 16th February 2015, 11:47
trotterdotpom trotterdotpom is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Posts: 18,423
Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
Question: Mind in neutral? I once worked with Capt Peter Mason (1972 (JesterOf BP Tankers), who became an elder Brethern of TH and ended his career working for Trinity House.
While I knew Peter, ! What or who is an Elder Brethern, and is there a roll or script of such people in this post(s) and what was their role? Was it Advisory or paid post, and in some way a function of TH.
The Elder Brethren of Trinity House are made up of Elder Brothers, David. The Elder Brethren are selected from the Younger Brethren. These are made up of former naval officers and ships' Masters. The Master of Trinity House is currently Princess Ann - she took over from Prince Phillip. I think blow-ins also become Elder Brothers when the the Corporation wants to suck up to someone, eg Winston Churchill who wouldn't know a bit from a bollard.

I heard that the Elder Brethren are paid by cheque annually - placed under a gold plate at a banquet at Trinity House (Tower Hill) on Trinity Sunday.

John T
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 19th February 2015, 18:00
david freeman david freeman is offline  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 1,035
Thank you for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by trotterdotpom View Post
The Elder Brethren of Trinity House are made up of Elder Brothers, David. The Elder Brethren are selected from the Younger Brethren. These are made up of former naval officers and ships' Masters. The Master of Trinity House is currently Princess Ann - she took over from Prince Phillip. I think blow-ins also become Elder Brothers when the the Corporation wants to suck up to someone, eg Winston Churchill who wouldn't know a bit from a bollard.

I heard that the Elder Brethren are paid by cheque annually - placed under a gold plate at a banquet at Trinity House (Tower Hill) on Trinity Sunday.

John T
Thank you John for the information. Capt Peter Mason was a master with BP and their Fleet Safety Office-The suggestion of being Jester is because I pushed an ICON of the Jester by mistake. Apologies to Peter and his family or friends who knew him. David F
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Ocean Ships david smith Books, Magazines, TV, Video & Publications 30 9th April 2011 10:02
Polish ships Clyde built Fairfield Bulk Carriers 0 28th September 2004 11:20
The ships of my life,starting with the first jochokuhle Say Hello 0 4th September 2004 10:47
enthusiast of merchant ships tanker Say Hello 4 27th May 2004 17:26
Lend Lease Ships jbryce Royal Navy 0 30th April 2004 15:51



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2020 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.