Headline Shipping Co of Belfast - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
04:58

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Headline Shipping Co of Belfast

User Tag List

Old 13th August 2006, 10:59

My location
Just posted a painting of the 'Torr Head' HERE
Old 8th September 2006, 19:25

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aldinga
Two more of the fleet

Roonagh Head : Harland & Wolff 1952 9211 d.w.
Rathlin Head : Harland & Wolff 1953 9381 d.w

Ron
It's wonderfull to know that threads are not just messages in a bottle,drifting away,and people work on them even long time after start.
This Forum it's wonderfull cause you really see that people READ with heart & soul.
And not just eyes running away.
Thanks mates I will repeat myself,but in this forum I find real friendship....FAMILY.
Old 20th February 2008, 22:41

some nice history on the headline . new billy purse ex inishoanhead from carrickfergus co antrim johnny harrison dec. jim kirkpatrick carrick fergus brian campbell
Old 21st February 2008, 07:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Campbell View Post
some nice history on the headline . new billy purse ex inishoanhead from carrickfergus co antrim johnny harrison dec. jim kirkpatrick carrick fergus brian campbell
Hi Brian
I'm ex Carrick too.
I was Cook on the Inishowen along with Willie ('hand beg') purse also Johnnie (Tut Tut) Harrison. I was on her 3 trips from 9th March 71-29 June 71 with Captain's Fee & Maxwell.
Good craic
McG
Old 22nd February 2008, 22:25

just seen your photo on this site only getting the hang of sending these messages i played with you in a band a long time ago are ya still takin an oul pint nice to here from you again brian .
Old 22nd February 2008, 23:21

My location
I knew it was you when I saw you were a 'plant operator'. I remember you getting your first job learning to drive a JCB or something.! BTW, hows the finger?? Never stopped you playing guitar , eh? I can still hear 'Lay Down Sally' in Whiteabey Legion & see the Zits on Cameron's face.
Yes Brian, I still enjoy a pint or three & even a wee Vat 19.
What brought you to this ole' god forsaken forum anyway, JCBs are'nt THAT Nautical?
Good to hear from you again. PM me if you want to go for a pint sometime.
Brian
Old 23rd February 2008, 21:35

hi brian i was tracing back on some of the ship ma da was on and foun it interesting a lot of my fathers cousins were all headline all in gleno cemetry now beggs
Old 24th February 2008, 10:00

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian Campbell View Post
hi brian i was tracing back on some of the ship ma da was on and foun it interesting a lot of my fathers cousins were all headline all in gleno cemetry now beggs
Give your Da's name & his cousins along with any ship names you know & you'll probably find someone who sailed with one or more of them. They're a good lot of old boys here & quite knowledgeable. (when sober)
Give it a try mate.
All the best
Brian
Old 25th February 2008, 18:31

artie campbell ss ballygarvey .ballyhill ballyhalft ballylorne ballyrory 1963 ballyedward ballymore . cousin. willie beggs ballymore ithink he also malasis boats out of liverpool.both engineers headline gynn beggs eng. i think roonagh head. artie beggs billybeggs jimmy beggs dont no what ships they were on
Old 26th February 2008, 17:36

My location
Bran
I know your Da's name & I think I was with him on the Ballyhill in Feb 1972.
Could this be right? Look - there's lots of Kelly men on this site, have you introduced yourself yet? Go to the 'Saying Hello' forum & introduce yourself & tell them why you're here (eg. researching your Da & others). I guarantee that you will find quite a few who knew him.
Give it a try.
BTW where are you living now?
Luck
Brian
Old 1st March 2008, 17:23

hi brian living donegal we place called ardara not far from killybegs
Old 2nd March 2008, 15:19

My location
Brian
I've sent you a private message. Make sure you're logged in & you will see the "Private Messages" tab at the very top/almost centre of the screen.
Click it to get your private mail.
Brian
Old 8th September 2008, 09:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcgurggle View Post
It was Head/Lord Line later was Head/Donaldson Line.
Head Line was a fore-runner of Port Line via JP Corry who still exist in Belfast as a timber merchants. Head Lines history is very complicated & verrrryyy interesting.
McG
In gold lettering on the windows of the old Head Line building the following appeared.
G Heyn & Sons, Head Line, Lord Line & the Mountain Steamship Company.
Re the latter, there was at least one ship called the " Lurigethan" ....which is the flat-topped mountain behind Cushendall.
This was before my time, but some of the old hands had sailed on her. Capt Stanley Stark, with whom I sailed as an apprentice, had some stories about her.
BK
Old 10th September 2008, 06:29

My location
Just came across this thread - must have missed it before. I was on the Rathlin Head 1953-1956 as an apprentice before going ashore in Montreal. Grew up in Bangor on shore-front and was very interested in radio, so heard and saw lots of traffic up & down Belfast Lough (and across to Ailsa Craig on a good day).
First trips to sea as school-boy on "Whin" (also known as Ballywhin) as guest of Capt. across to Preston & Glasgow.
Re the Lurigethan - Blt 1916 as Calaeno for Hudig & Veder N.V. Holland. Sold 1933 to Mountain Steamship Co. Ltd (G. Heyn & Sons Ltd managers). 23.1.1941 Sunk by aircraft bombs 53.46N., 16.00W., West of Ireland. ("Head Line" by W.J. Harvey).
Old 12th November 2008, 16:06

more head line stuff

No-one seems to be writing anymore, so┤here are a few names from the sixties which may stir some memories, any maybe a response.
Bangor men I can recall from the early 60┤s include
Gary Martin from the seacliffe road, sailed with me as apprentice, later became master in Kellys; Denis mc Clure apprentice, later went AB ? Brian Cassidy AB Tony Chappell became master, ditto Peter Sherriff, Jimmy Milhench, Jim Kimm, bosun, Donaghadee, Big John Hamilton Ch Steward, also from the ┤Dee

Masters and mates I sailed with, Willie Baird, S.T. (Tam) Ross, William Haddock, Andy Fee, Carson Rea, Stanley Stark, Eric Seaton, Eddie (scuppergub) Davey. Jimmy Green , a Killybegs man.
Juan Gomez , both as mate and master, Thomas McIntyre Hamill as mate and master, Norman Walsh, as mate on my first trip, and later as master.
Hughie O┤Byrne was first trip 3rd mate on the Ramore, 1960, eventually became Belfast harbour master. Mervyn Mc Connell, as apprentice, he was later master on the Stranraer ferry. Frankie Best, Harry Thompson, John Auld, Dennis Chinn, Ted Hayes,
Other apprentices and 2nd/3rd Mates,
Harry Alldritt, Tony Bell, Howard Robert Mason lll......How about that one ??
John ( sleepy ) Lowry, The brothers Seaye, Wuff 1 & 2, Eric White, Michael (eagle-beak ) Knight, Brian Skillen, "the commodore" , Desi McKinley from Derry, Brian McShane, became harbourmaster in Liverpool ? Hughie Stewart from Quintin Point, Robert Aiken ( flap) , Andy & Sandy Niblock, Terry Pratt, Doc Savage, Michael Alexander, Brian Michael Connor, Davey Alexander, Eric Dunwoody, Stewarty Thompson,
I┤ll remember more, maybe do the engineers , the deck crowd, and the catering in later fits of madness.
Does anyone out there remember a chippy called Jimmy Crooks ?? or an AB John Nicolas ( mad dog ) Lynott,
We used to load whisky in Glasgow Yorkhill dock, and discharge about 20% of it in the great lakes ports. What a life .
I hope that this provokes a response.........
Old 14th November 2008, 05:46

My location
Hi Brian
When I joined the Rathlin Head at the end of 1953, I seem to remember the following-
Captain - Joe kennedy
Chief officer - Cyril Pringle
2nd Officer - Robert Crawford
3rd Officer - ? Dunwoody ?
Ch Steward - John Hamilton
Ch Engineer - Henry Carson
Carpenter - W Gray
Apprentices - Sandy Niblock, George Clint, Joe Savage
R/O - Ernie Heywood
I can "see" Bosun, Cook (Ned) and some of the Engineers but cannot remember names.
Jimmy Ronald & Peter Sherriff joined later as apprentices, and I think Andy Frizell for a short time.
Somewhere I have a Christmas Menu signed by many of the crew (1955?) - I am trying to find it but it is escaping me at present.
Happy memories!
Wil
Old 14th November 2008, 11:04

more head boat recollections

Hello Wil,
Thanks for your response,
Joe (bull ) Kennedy retired around the time I joined my first ship at the end of 1959. Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe. I sailed with Bob when he was mate on the Carrigan in 1961
Eric Dunwoody sat his 2nd mates around 1960 so I don┤t think he could have been on the Rathlin at the time you were there.
John Hamilton was ch steward when I was appce on the Rathlin and still there when I was 3rd mate in 1964.
Geordie Clint was working ashore in the office when last I heard of him. Andy Frizzell was running a pub in Donaghadee, his sister married Mervyn McConnell, mentioned previously, now retired , living in Ballygally. Doc Savage died some years ago. He is mentioned in the W.J.Harvey book " The Head Line" Henry Carson retired early 60┤s , I think that he was still chief on the Carrigan when I was there ?? maybe that was his last trip.
Other chief engineers I sailed with ... J.C. Thompson, Mike Patton, Davie Hillock ( the silver fox ) , George Deaney, Davie Mc.Keown, Chunky Garrett,
Harry Stevenson, Johnny "tut-tut" Harrison, married Nellie Jackson, owner of the Millbay Inn in Islandmagee. There was another chief from Cloughey, Joe? Savage.
Perhaps these names will stir a response from some otherĘ┤÷ul hands. Now I┤ve started the names and places keep flooding back.
I┤ll do the deck crowd and catering dept next.
best regards, Brian K.
Old 14th November 2008, 19:59

Brian, am sure you probably know that John Auld passed away quite some time ago. He was a character. Listened to many of his stories, as only he could tell them, in Convery,s pub. visited Andy Frizzell in his pub a few years ago. What about Bob Copeland? Was he not with Head Line? Met him often when he was Mate on the Cast Beaver,(Inishowen Head), with Frank Best as Master. Bst Rgds. Colin
Old 14th November 2008, 20:07

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruud View Post
Ahoy,

Found the Fair Head, here her details:

Fair Head[1573 GT] built in 1957 at the Arnhem Shipbuilding Co, for the Ulster Steamship Co.-Belfast.
She was inaugurated the Head Line's service from the U.K. to the Great Lakes trade.
Specially strengthened for ice navigation over her whole length and in addition has an ice-knife at her stern, rather unusual for British ships,her equipment includes special wharping and mooring gear required for passing through the locks above Montreal.
LOA:258'
B:42'
D:18'
Eng:Werkspoor-Lugt diesel of 1800 bhp at 164 r.p.m with direct drive gives her a speed of 13Ż kn.
She was lengthened in 1964 from 245' 5" to 292' 7" increasing her grt to 1,948
Old 14th November 2008, 20:31
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kernaghan View Post
Hello Wil,
............... Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe............... best regards, Brian K.
Cy Pringle was Harbour Master in St John, New Brunswick when I was there in 1981, he retired a few years later.
John
Old 14th November 2008, 20:33
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1973 - 1991

Quote:
Originally Posted by brian kernaghan View Post
Hello Wil,
............... Cyril Pringle and Bob Crawford both went to Canada and settled in Toronto I believe............... best regards, Brian K.
Cy Pringle was Harbour Master in St John, New Brunswick when I was there in 1981, he retired a few years later.
John
Old 15th November 2008, 04:43

My location
Second thoughts

Brian, second thoughts - I think Jimmy Greig was 3rd Mate in 1953 - Sammy (?) Dunwoody came later
Old 25th November 2008, 23:24

Hi brian just reminiscing with my Dad John McGurk who was cook on the inishowen. He remembers lots of the names and I myself remember Ned Thompson as cook. Ill get some more names off him next time he's round
Andy
Old 26th November 2008, 12:18

My location
Carrigan Head

Hi folks, this is a brilliant thread,which is bringing back fond memories. I joined the Carrigan Head in Belfast , I think 1965, but could have been '64 I was the junior apprentice. Maurice Hobson was 2nd. app. and Roy Fitzpatrick was senior. I can't remember who was skipper or any of the Mates. I think JC Thompson was Ch. Engineer. and Jim Demster was Cook. I am sorry about the names but have had heart problems and memory is very poor. I can remember lots of the names in the previous posts.
Can anyone ID any of the crew on the Carrigan in 1965 ??
Thanks,
Richard
Old 26th November 2008, 18:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by yachtingfreak View Post
Hi brian just reminiscing with my Dad John McGurk who was cook on the inishowen. He remembers lots of the names and I myself remember Ned Thompson as cook. Ill get some more names off him next time he's round
Andy
Hi'ya Andy
My name's Brian Galloway & I was yer Da's 2nd Cook & Bricklayer on the Torr Head from 10 Feb '70 to 2nd Oct '70. The ship I use for my avitar is from a painting of the Torr Head by Frank McKelvey. Thats because it was the best ship I ever sailed on. I don't know if John will remember me so if you click on my profile you will see a pic of me as I am recently, a good bit heavier but still as ugly...! I remember the skipper was Eddie 'the duke' Davy. there was on deck, wee John Scully (Sligo) , Brendan Docherty (Moville), Hughie Boyd (Brother of Jimmy Boyd also cook with Head Line). Cyril Thompson ? was Chief Steward & I think the 2nd Steward was Francie Blakley.
We got quite a bit of 'cargo brand whiskey' (J&B) from Glasgow & good times were had by all
I hope yer Da' remembers me. I was actually him who informed Mr. Landells (Catering Super) that I held a Chief Cooks ticket & bummed me up to be a 'not too bad cook', so I was transfered to the Santona as Chief Cook . I was sorry to leave the Torr cos' these were some of the best days of my life... (before I got married)!!!
If John remembers me, tell him to get in touch as I would love to have a yarn with him.
McG (Brian)