Google Earth Locations for places of maritime interest - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
22:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Google Earth Locations for places of maritime interest

User Tag List

Old 19th September 2007, 23:51
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lksimcoe View Post
The Windsor Castle beached at Alang in 2005. If you go to www.maritimematters.com and look up Shipping Photos 2006, go to the bottom, click on Shipping Photos 2005 (can't post a link for some reason known ONLY to God and my new freakin laptop). Scroll about halfway down and you'll see a pick of her (named Rita) in the process of demolition.

Too bad, she was a nice looking ship
Here's the URL : http://www.maritimematters.com/windsorcastle.html
Old 4th October 2007, 22:35

My location
Locations transferred to SN Guides for easy access

Dear All,

I have transferred the best of the locations identified in this thread to the following SN Guides so you can access them without having to wade through this thread.

Check these out:

For wrecks: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides...reck_Locations

For everything else: https://www.shipsnostalgia.com/guides...itime_Interest

I will keep an eye open for additions to this thread and copy the new entries into these Guides as well.

Thanks for everyone who has contributed to date.

Regards,

Brian
Old 5th October 2007, 07:30
Bilge Rat
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
I say, what a splendid gentleman you are Brian. thank you for taking the time to do that for us.
Old 30th October 2007, 07:51

My location
5140'58.19"S, 5751'45.41"W.

Elevation 2500'

During Darwins voyage aboard the Beagle, a little known port of call was Port Stanley in the Falkland Islands. Having little else to do, the crew laid out the ships name in rocks on the sloping shoreline across the harbour from Stanley.
HMS Protector with her long association with Port Stanley and the residents, had gone thru official channels and recieved no answer with regard to placing her name on same slope.
In 1959 as we were sailing to return to UK shortly, plans went ahead to secretly mark out the letters with white cord and the night prior to sailing at dawn, boatloads of "mainbraced" rock haulers, stumbled and fell about in the dark to achieve that which is still greeting Stanleyites every morning to this day. Each letter is some 50 feet in height, I am proud to have been responsible for the bottom half of the vertical stroke of the "P". I'm sure you will all agree, by far the neatest part of the whole name Hahaha.
I see the Endurance has added her name and am wondering if the Barracuta was an Argentinian warship there during their brief visit,or if someone else would know of its connection to F.I's.
Some areas of the Falklands are in very high definition and worth a visit from you cyber sailors.
Google Sidebar......I was planning my first visit back to the UK since coming here nearly 40 years ago. Have no relatives left living there, but just wanted to see the old places that I remembered from when I was a schoolboy.
Then I downloaded Google and discovered that where I grew up doesnt exist any more, its disappeared under houses. So I went to Las Vegas instead!
Old 30th October 2007, 23:18

My location
Thanks for that O Ancient One!

I have added it to the entries in the SN Guide as a permanent reference.

Brian
Old 31st October 2007, 08:18

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by fursty View Post
31 Deg 06' 18" N 121 Deg 00' 50" E

as you can see, it is inside a pool. They will never get it out, it'ts only a fake
This carrier is the ex Soviet Navy unfinished Kusnetsov class carrier Varyag.
The Soviet navy spent years following and filming Nato carrier operations to eventually build their own. I am guessing China is just saving themselves the time and trouble.
The following address will give the details and is incidentally a pretty interesting source of information with regard to Chinese Military

http://www.sinodefence.com/navy/surf...ft_carrier.asp
Old 3rd November 2007, 06:37

My location
69 2'24.81"N, 33 4'7.84"E
Having nothing but time on my hands, I wondered where the other and original vessel of the two Kusnetsov class carriers would be lurking.
She was reported to be undergoing refit and modification in Northern Fleet.
I'm not sure of the date of the coverage that Google puts on line, but there she is, alongside in Murmansk and from the looks of things, theres not a rush of activity about her.
If you track seaward up the inlet, you will find Polyarnyy home of the Northern Sub fleet.

Where to now Captain? Lets try Malta Mr Sulu, see if we can find Straight Street in Floriana and drop in on the Galvanized Donkey....er um I mean the Silver Horse.
Old 3rd November 2007, 14:01

Wait for a nighttime snap of Murmansk, Ancient One, the Northern submarine fleet can be identified by the greenish glow.

John T.
Old 6th November 2007, 06:22

Hi, I found the sites of 2 of the yards on the Clyde
John Brown's, the birth site of some of the most famous ships in the World
5553'38.96"N 424'13.82"W

D&W Henderson's..Partick
5551'55.85"N 418'33.46"W

More to come...

cheers Chris
Old 2nd May 2008, 16:58

Google are also planning a deep-sea version of Google Earth:

http://www.news.com/8301-10784_3-993...g=2547-1_3-0-5

So, now you can place all those shipwrecks on your maps!
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:13
user

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul_Lee View Post
Google are also planning a deep-sea version of Google Earth:
"It would take about 100 ship years to map the oceans at high resolution," said Dave Sandwell, a professor of geophysics at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. ...

I can just about grasp light-years and indeed man-hours, but ship years is a new one on me. I am not quite sure if Mr Sandwell feels 100 ships doing the entire job in 12 months is a long time or a short time to complete the task.
Old 2nd May 2008, 17:17

Maybe if it were to happen, we'd finally find the Waratah et al.!
Old 3rd October 2009, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonga View Post
"It would take about 100 ship years to map the oceans at high resolution," said Dave Sandwell, a professor of geophysics at the Scripps Institution of Oceanography. ...
Simple interest calculator calculation rates mortgage compound high interest savings account
I can just about grasp light-years and indeed man-hours, but ship years is a new one on me. I am not quite sure if Mr Sandwell feels 100 ships doing the entire job in 12 months is a long time or a short time to complete the task.
So task is completed yet or it's still going?