Smallest tramp ship company - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
13:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Smallest tramp ship company

User Tag List

Old 2nd March 2016, 22:03
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1976 - 1982

Oregon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cisco View Post
And, prior to that ...'Londoner'.... a nice looking ship...dunno what she was like to sail on.
Sailed with Oregon in the mid 70's. They had two and a half ships. The Lawrentian, The Lutetian and The Londoner - which had shrunk from a full-on general cargo ship to a coaster. I can remember all two and a half of us being due in the Tyne around the same time. It was really foggy and we pondered the chances of colliding in the fog and wiping out an entire shipping company in one go :-)
Old 8th April 2016, 12:32

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trader View Post
I sailed on the "Uskmouth" of Richard Jones (Newport) Ltd. I think they only had one other ship the "Uskbridge", Could be wrong.

Alec.
Jones of Newport also owned Uskside, Uskport. Maybe not all at the same time.Sailed on Uskbridge myself.Casablanca run ,then one trip to USA Virgina,and Tampa,stopping off for bunkers on way home in Bermuda. Bulhead on bridge buckled in and windows broke midships on voyage to Virginia, and store rooms flooded. Very bad weather.
Old 17th April 2017, 20:56
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
When I was on the m.v. Bretwalda in 1961/62, Hall Bros. SS Co. also owned one other tramp, m.v. Ambassador and a tanker m.v. Royal Crown. They did have one other ship in 1961, m.v. Royal Emblem but that was scrapped early in the year, before I sailed with them.

The company had a long history having started with sailing ships in the 1860s but went bust at the end of the 1970s.

The 'fleet' as it was when I sailed with them did not have a very good outcome. The Ambassador sank in the Atlantic a couple of years after I left her and the Bretwalda went on fire whilst in Greek ownership and had to be beached. Only the Royal Crown made to the end of a normal life and reached the scrapyard.
In 1971 they had one deep sea ship, the Melbrook and three or four short sea traders with two mates each. Thus as I was 3rd.Mate on the Melbrook I was their only 3rd.Mate at the time
Old 18th April 2017, 14:28

Small Tramp Companies

I did one trip on the Harpalion of J&C Harrison, basic conditions (including overtime on "B" articles)but comfortable enough with good feeding. A bit like Shangri La after 11 month voyage with BTC (better times coming)
Cliff Cocker