Benefits of container ships - Ships Nostalgia
11:42

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Benefits of container ships

User Tag List

Old 12th March 2018, 16:16
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1958 - 1970

Benefits of container ships

Seventy six containers lost overboard from a Maersk box boat off Oregon, one containing sulphuric acid according to gCaptain (http://gcaptain.com/us-authorities-m...eid=8092cdd0a4

Never having been involved in those ugly things, but thinking back to my days in road transport where losing even a small part of a load would result in insecure load prosecutions, I wonder what penalties are there for an insecure load that results in the loss of seventy six containers containing God knows what? I also wonder how many of them are likely to float just beneath the surface ready to ambush smaller vessels like fishing boats , ferries, recreational boats? I struggle to imagine the consequences of hitting a half-submerged box of sulphuric acid!

I was a tanker man, so we kept our cargoes below the maindeck and didn't have to worry too much about rolling and pitching. But what about these box boat people who seem to shed containers all over the world's oceans, but continue to stack them as high as blocks of flats and seem unable to stop them falling over the side? Can they not find a way of securing them other than relying upon latchings that are evidently inadequate?

If the container ship industry carries on like this the next environmental crisis, I predict, will move from the amount of plastics entering our oceans to the discovery that the sea floors world wide are covered with lost containers holding everything from Japanese motorcycles to household wastes bound for China.

Sadly I am beyond the end of my career but if I had the benefit of foresight when I first started I would have formed a company making shipping containers, because that seems to be an industry wherein planned obsolescence is unnecessary -- the purchasers seem able to lose them as fast as a builder could make them!
Old 12th March 2018, 16:43
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

There is a massive market in sale and resale of second hand boxes,both in and out of certification....the last major project I was involved in bought ,over a year, about 2500 some of which had to be shipped in,empty,from USA,Japan and China.
That's the market I would be looking at if I was still in the business.

A Triple E Class vessel has capability of 18000 TEU's......and there are lots and lots more smaller vessels on the water these days..

geoff
Old 12th March 2018, 21:14
user
Active: 1969 - 1973

Cheapest container I saw was £280 delivered...bargain then.
Old 14th March 2018, 08:38
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

Quote:
Originally Posted by trunnion View Post
spring loaded fittings ,very safe,accidents happen,,eh tankers cause disasters frequently,,wood carriers,,,,car carriers,,ive worked on box boats, tankers, cargo, liners,tugs,dredgers,etcTrunnion
Sort of like, Uncle Albert?
Old 14th March 2018, 09:59
Active: 1970 - Present

For me the Benefits of container ships is that there is fewer Scouse Dockers with frozen legs of lamb down their trousers.
Old 14th March 2018, 11:04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Engine Serang View Post
For me the Benefits of container ships is that there is fewer Scouse Dockers with frozen legs of lamb down their trousers.
oh ho here we go again.would not happen down southamton London Glasgow Newcastle. et all .get off your high horses .after reading what deck crew and engineers got up too on this site .all as clean as the ocean,
Old 14th March 2018, 11:29
Active: 1954 - 1981

Quote:
is that all up there
Old 14th March 2018, 13:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dartskipper View Post
Sort of like, Uncle Albert?
And after lunch?
Old 14th March 2018, 14:33
Active: 1970 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAllen View Post
oh ho here we go again.would not happen down southamton London Glasgow Newcastle. et all .get off your high horses .after reading what deck crew and engineers got up too on this site .all as clean as the ocean,
~~~Tony of course it happened in Hull, London etc. but I have no evidence to back up my claim. Have a belly laugh with me.
https://youtu.be/gxqP_oBAZso

ES.
Old 14th March 2018, 14:59

Quote:
~~~Tony of course it happened in Hull, London etc. but I have no evidence to back up my claim. Have a belly laugh with me.
https://youtu.be/gxqP_oBAZso

ES.
yes I have seen it many time ,just repeating Stan boardman joke.same as the one about the chippy being bombed.old as Noah
Old 14th March 2018, 15:04
ART6 ART6 is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator
Active: 1958 - 1970

Quote:
Hence the evolution of the expression about something being cold enough to freeze the balls of a bass monkey into something that was cold enough to freeze same balls off a Liverpool docker.
Old 9th May 2018, 22:45
Department: Navigation
Active: 1967 - 1979

I went to Iraq in 1976 on Sugar Lines "Sugar Trader" with, among other things a complete hospital for the Iraq navy.
The walls, floors etc. were on crates and all the fittings were in 51 non-returnable containers on deck.
Quite a box of tricks but at least as a "priority" cargo we docked at Umm Quasar after three weeks, not months!
Old 10th May 2018, 13:46
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
Only ever sailed on a box boat once, .. one of CP Ships hacking across the North Atlantic.

I do remember an expression of one of the Mates as we rolled down the St Lawrence.

"Who needs a Plimsoll Line when you've got a container ship ?"

I think he was being sarcastic …
Old 1st August 2018, 12:22

1. Bigger boat sizes are predicted to generate a growth in overall requirement. The ever increasing popularity of ultra-large package delivers is predicted to enhance so-called “seaborne trade.”
2. Huge trade amounts from nations boosts need for creating more plants in several nations. This will also generate need for seeking out raw materials.
3. Ultra-large package delivers will also benefit transpacific deliveries, helping to promote the progress of developing nations.
4. In the sense of economy of scale – with greater capacity, more bins will be carried with less number of veins, leading to a reduced environmental impact.
Old 1st August 2018, 15:33

Saw a CP boxboat leaving Rotterdam in early 74 with at least 10, maybe 15 degrees list. Thought she must be going somewhere else to load more boxes and level up.
Passed her in mid-Atlantic a week later, and she had the same list still on.
Must have been a very uncomfortable trip.
Old 1st August 2018, 17:49
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1965 - 1986

My location
I remember doing a late Autumn relieving trip on the CP Trader (apparently some people liked these boxy boats, and stayed on them !!!) and it rolled its guts out all the way across the Atlantic to the St Lawrence ports and then rolled all the way back again.

The radio room was directly behind the bridge and shaped like the corridor of an old fashioned railway carriage. The receiver was at the far end and I was sitting wearing headphones with a coiled telephone style wire when the ship suddenly lurched over. My chair took off down the shack like it was on rails and I stared nervously at the headphones jack plug clinging desperately to the receiver at the end of a bar tight cord. I thought to myself: ‘If that plug pulls out it’ll go up my nose like a .357 magnum.’

Fortunately the ship lurched back and satisfied itself with bashing my knees on the bench as I skittered back.

When I looked under the chair I noticed the deck securing chain was broken, and covered in what looked suspiciously like old blood stains.