s s MENDI - Ships Nostalgia
03:48

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

s s MENDI

User Tag List

Old 28th August 2018, 21:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Purser
Active: 1950 - 1960

s s MENDI

Currently (Aug 2018) there has been mention in the media of the tragic loss of life when the Mendi sank in 1917. She had been requisitioned as an army transport ship and was on voyage from Capetown to Havre. After leaving Plymouth she was struck at 0457 on the 21st February 17 in dense fog by the ss Darro (by coincidence an ex Elder Dempster vessel). The Mendi sank quickly and 656 lost their lives. The were mainly black African troops from the army transport corps. The ship's bell was recovered by divers in the past and this was delivered anonymously to ITV South recently. Theresa May travelled to Capetown this week and presented the bell to the authorities as an act of rememberence of the tragedy. A fitting home for the bell.
Bob Appleton
Old 6th September 2018, 00:09

Bob,
Thanks for publishing this, strange there has been so little response on here.
I hadn`t heard about the bell having been presented.
But I had heard of the enormous loss of life of the African troops.
I seem to remember Derek telling me the occurrence had been covered in an edition of Elders of Elders a while before I joined the readership.
Oh! how I do miss E of E!!!!!!
Old 6th September 2018, 13:42
Department: Purser
Active: 1950 - 1960

Thanks Roger for your post. I too thought there would be a greater response. Not one even from Graham the Pipe. There are some photo's and information in the Elder Dempster Fleet History, an invaluable point of reference on all things E.D's
It is sad to see the EPC and E of E fade away, but our numbers dwindle. I speak to Ben Armishaw on a regular basis and e/mail Don Fowler in South Africa from time to time, but they are all. Regards Bob
Old 6th September 2018, 16:02

Report of Formal Investigation here:
https://plimsoll.southampton.gov.uk/...oll/21285a.pdf
Old 7th September 2018, 07:36
Department: Navigation
Active: 1957 - 1967

Top of a slightly cool, UK morning to you Roger, Bob and Eddy.

Sorry I did not comment on this earlier but although sad it is now history and I'm not aware of any additional facts that might have been of interest; Eddy's 'link' of yesterday 'compensates'.

A little 'background' to my dear old departed pal 'DB'. I never sailed with him but met him for the first time at a Holiday Inn E of E lunch early this century. It was an instant 'Oil and Water' fusion and although we lived 250 + miles apart telephone and 'E' contact was continuous. Great and modest chap with the Scouse humour which I always have and always will enjoy and share. He and 'Norm' Powell (deck), both Scousers and both now over the bar ~ the latter one year on Sunday that being the 61st anniversary of yours truly signing the parchment with EDs ~ made me an honorary Scouser, which pleased me immensely; not sure whether still am.

Before I start 'rambling', I am in personal contact with many Es of Es mainly deck but two pursers for you are John Edge and Andrew {known as 'Mike'} Salt.

Just let me know ~ and give ME some 'names' ~ and I'll private message you with their 'E' addresses.

Off now for my morning constitutional.

Cheers.

GGG