Scotia - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
05:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Scotia

User Tag List

Old 21st January 2019, 19:44
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1982

Scotia - West Africa

John,
I still have my Norrie's tables where I noted every trip and where we visited. Transpires I joined Scotia 22nd June 1970 in London and paid-off just after you on 19th October 1970 in Amsterdam. From my joining we did Rotterdam, Le Havre, Montreal, Toronto, Cleveland, Detroit, Milwaukee, Chicago (Calumet City), Milwaukee, Bay City, Montreal, Le Havre, Rotterdam, Hamburg, Bremen, Rouen, Dakar, Abidjan, Freetown, Tema, Cotonou, Douala, Kribi, Cotonou, Takoradi, Adidjan, Freetown, Bremen and Amsterdam.
Memory plays tricks on me, but as I recall we came back from the Lakes with a cargo of alfalfa pellets which started smouldering in No. 4 hatch about 2 days out from Le Havre, picked up on the Kidde Rich smoke detection system on the bridge. When they opened the hatch covers and the oxygen got to the cargo it set alight. I recall the bosun's cabin was behind the bulkhead of No. 4 hatch and he was getting quite agitated about the heat coming through!
West Africa with a Liverpool crew was still one of the strangest and funniest memories of my seagoing career!
Old 23rd January 2019, 19:49
Department: Deck
Active: 1968 - 1982

Bit grainy and faded but this was taken as we exited the Welland Canal near Niagara in 1970. Worth noting the early attempt at containerisation on deck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20190119_101744_1548272801816.jpg (81.7 KB, 36 views)
Old 24th January 2019, 04:23
Department: Engineering
Active: 1963 - 1976

Nice photo. I haven't seen that one before. I can't remember if it was Scotia or Parthia that was first with the container rails. On one ship the longshoremen bent the heavy lift derrick moving a container from port to sbd during the discharge cycle and then had to call in a crane to get the rest off the ship.
Old 24th January 2019, 12:20
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lancslad View Post
Nice photo. I haven't seen that one before. I can't remember if it was Scotia or Parthia that was first with the container rails. On one ship the longshoremen bent the heavy lift derrick moving a container from port to sbd during the discharge cycle and then had to call in a crane to get the rest off the ship.
I can't remember which ship was first to have rails on deck for containers, but I certainly remember them on Parthia when I was there as 2/0 in 1968 & 1969. Quite a difference from the ACL vessels which I was involved in Sen 2/0 later on in 1969!

I was sent to Walker Naval Yard to stand by the building of the two ACL ships, on the day Conveyor had to be launched in a rush when the shores started tripping, and then sailed as Sen 2/0 on Causeway on her maiden voyage towards the end of 1969 and for the next three years.

Howard Anguish