Commecial Landing Craft Question - Ships Nostalgia
01:21

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Commecial Landing Craft Question

User Tag List

Old 24th January 2019, 15:32

Commecial Landing Craft Question

Folks I know little on ex Military Landing Craft in commercial use as ferries or little cargo ships. Some of these seem to be over 500grt...would anyone know if the ISM is applied? Although a bit of a variation, do the Western Ferries on the Clyde operate with ISM. Curiosity more than anything else but I sure someone here has experience.
Old 24th January 2019, 16:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennie Cameron View Post
Folks I know little on ex Military Landing Craft in commercial use as ferries or little cargo ships. Some of these seem to be over 500grt...would anyone know if the ISM is applied? Although a bit of a variation, do the Western Ferries on the Clyde operate with ISM. Curiosity more than anything else but I sure someone here has experience.
I have no knowledge of the Clyde ferries you mention, but I spent a few months in Shetland, as a stand-in marine Superintendent, looking after the Inter-Island ferries. We certainly operated under the ISM Code, and that was towards the end of the 1990's.

Howard
Old 24th January 2019, 17:46

To the best of my knowledge-ISM applies to all passenger vessels and cargo vessels over 500gt. The EU enforced the implementation earlier on passenger vessels. Thus it applies to landing craft same as other vessels
Hope it helps kev
Old 27th January 2019, 17:05

Thanks folks. I had heard from someone that certain above 500grt (trawlers excepted) had gotten exemptions. Curiosity solved.
Old 29th January 2019, 14:18

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennie Cameron View Post
Thanks folks. I had heard from someone that certain above 500grt (trawlers excepted) had gotten exemptions. Curiosity solved.
I recall in the 1950s hearing about several losses of landing craft that were running oranges across the Med. I don't find anything on the Web about such events.