Ships Nostalgia banner

Ashanti Palm crew?

4K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Roger Griffiths 
#1 ·
Hi everyone...

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who was aboard the Ashanti Palm during the '50s when my grandfather worked in the engine room?

His name was Cliff Atkinson... I was 8 when he died, and so never really got to ask him much about his time at sea.

My interest was sparked after finding his marine engineering books, I never realized he had such knowledge before.

Apart from that I have very little else, no do***entation of any kind...

Does anyone by any chance remember him at all?

#2 ·
Hi. It's going to be of very little use to you, but my dad was on Ashanti in the 50s.
He was John Lawrence and was 1st mate - I think. I know he did something to do with Navigation. He died in 2007.
He also served on loads of other Palm line ships.
I did see a log book of his years ago but I've no idea where it is now.
I hope you find someone who remembers your dad. Good luck
Chris Lawrence

#3 ·
I am rather surprised nobody has answered this before.

If you go on Facebook , you will find a Palm Line Site with loads of info....
https://www.facebook.com/groups/722674291272803/?ref=bookmarks

Your Grandfather probably worked more than just the one ship, and you will find photos of many Palm Line ships there; also pholks who served on Palm line Ships in 50s.

Please acknowledge.

ATB

Laurie.

#8 · (Edited)
Hello,
Can you give us your grandfathers date and place of birth. I can find 12 Merchant Navy records for "C Atkinson" Problem is which one is your man.

regards
Roger
Hi Roger...

He was born in Barrow-in-Furness, in 1930. Joined the Merchant Navy around 1950, spent 7 or 8 years at sea. Spent the rest of his working life as an engineer at Connah's Quay power station.

EDIT: Sorry, was born 1929...

#7 ·
Hi everyone...

I'm wondering if there's anyone out there who was aboard the Ashanti Palm during the '50s when my grandfather worked in the engine room?

His name was Cliff Atkinson... I was 8 when he died, and so never really got to ask him much about his time at sea.

My interest was sparked after finding his marine engineering books, I never realized he had such knowledge before.

Apart from that I have very little else, no do***entation of any kind...

Does anyone by any chance remember him at all?
You might find photos etc. on the Palm line Facebook app.

ATB

Laurie.

#9 ·
Hello,
Seems this is your man
This would be his Seamans Pouch
These records relate to individual seamen filed together in a pouch. These do***ents may include application forms , certificates, identity cards, (most with a photograph of the seaman) cessation do***ents and notifications of death.

This is his form CRS10 which records all of the vessels he served on together with dates and ports of engagement and discharge. Both these do***ents are available from the British National Archive. That said it would seem that TNA are having difficulty copying do***ent at the moment.
I asume by your post you live in the USA?
For several reasons . These do***ents are best viewed via a personal visit to Kew. It would probably be easier to appoint a researcher to look for you.

regards
Roger

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.