Liberty ship no 3 hatch derricks - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:46

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Liberty ship no 3 hatch derricks

User Tag List

Old 16th February 2019, 04:15

I'm showing my ignorance here. I understand most of the above re derricks. But, one I'm lost on is, what is a schooner guy? I don't mean the facetious reply.
Old 16th February 2019, 07:27

See No. 14

Schooner guy tackle. Tackle between derrick heads.

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Union purchase rig.jpg (152.1 KB, 27 views)
Old 16th February 2019, 07:50

Look on YOU TUBE for:

SHIP'S GEAR AND CARGO HANDLING GEAR
PublicResourceOrg

Excellent 17 minute instructional film. Look at 5.10 minute for Schooner Guy Tackle.

Good footage and some of it on Liberty ships.

Stephen

Subscribe152K

SHIP'S GEAR AND CARGO HANDLING GEAR

PublicResourceOrg

PublicResourceOrg

Subscribe152K
Old 18th February 2019, 16:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
See No. 14

Schooner guy tackle. Tackle between derrick heads.

Stephen
Stephen,
sorry for not responding to your reply earlier. My internet connection was out for the last couple of days(external BT fault, not mine). Most of the island was affected. Our only cash machine out, unable to pay by card at Co-op store caused problems for many. Mind you, re Co-op, due to wx/ferry problems, most of the shelves were empty anyway.

However, my moans and groans aside, many thanks for your info. I liked to observe topping/stowing of derricks, to understand the cargo gear, as well as appreciate the deck crowds' skill. I had never heard that term for derrick head guys, but then, I was only an observer.

My only cargo gear experience was cranes(repairing, keeping them going), on bulkers.

Best regards,
Duncs
Old 18th February 2019, 19:57

Ah! Wx is always a problem to Islanders. Unfortunately the only land from me is almost 600 miles. :-)

Denholm reefers, LOMOND and MAREE were five hatch, four cranes and one set of derricks. When possible with the gangs, cranes were used. If you had a full gang then the derricks were used. Cranes might be easy but the union purchase was a bit faster. The drawback was the hydraulic winches... NOISE!

Stephen
Old 18th February 2019, 23:36

Stephen,
BTW, I liked your pics of the Lomond in your #25 post.
I hope you don't mind, but I copied them into my personal photo folder.
I had no photos of her. Nice looker, nicer still to have sailed in her. It was a joy, one of the best I'd been on.

Rgds
Duncs

Last edited by duncs; 18th February 2019 at 23:44..
Old 19th February 2019, 00:36

Quote:
Originally Posted by duncs View Post
Stephen,
BTW, I liked your pics of the Lomond in your #25 post.
I hope you don't mind, but I copied them into my personal photo folder.
I had no photos of her. Nice looker, nicer still to have sailed in her. It was a joy, one of the best I'd been on.

Rgds
Duncs

Good. I wish there more for you.

Chas Connell produced a good ship! My only disappointing Clyde-but ship was Nordic Clansman! ;-)

I hope the Barra ferry is back on the run.

Stephen
Old 19th February 2019, 01:31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
Good. I wish there more for you.

Chas Connell produced a good ship! My only disappointing Clyde-but ship was Nordic Clansman! ;-)

I hope the Barra ferry is back on the run.

Stephen
'Lord of the Isles', stand in for out of action 'Isle of Lewis', just arrived. Co-op will be mobbed tomorrow! Seems when they(ferries), come out of annual drydock, they breakdown. The 'Lewis', purpose built for Stornoway/Ullapool run, can only do Barra/Oban run, due to no tidal restrictions. Main master on 'Lewis' is ex Denholm cadet/mate, Alex Morrison from Lewis. Left 'D' c 74.
Cal-Mac are juggling their ferries as best they can.

My trip on the 'Loch Lomond':- one first trip deckboy is a master with Cal-Mac, another first tripper is, I believe a mate, with same. An AB, though older, got his ticket and is 3/O, with same. How did the 'Lomond' produce them? Was it because I was aboard?(just joking).

Rgds
Duncs

P.S. Sorry all, for going off the main thread.
Duncs

Last edited by duncs; 19th February 2019 at 01:59.. Reason: adding the P.S.
Old 22nd February 2019, 02:42
Active: 1954 - 1996

Liberty Ship #3 Derricks

Quote:
Originally Posted by seaman38 View Post
Peter its commendable that you want to get everything right, but I think you are looking for problems that don't exist.

The topping-lifts on Libertys were single span wires, as opposed to gun-tackles or multi wire purchases. You have a couple of scenarios

(i)At the derrick heel end of the span (4") would be a monkey face with topping-lift span attached to top hole, with chain links attached to one of the lower holes, then the other hole would have a smaller wire, normally 2.5" circ to lead to drum end for hauling up and/or lowering, when derrick in desired position chain link would be shackled to deck. On starboard derrick being lowered in crutch, the topping lift would be left slack and port derrick lowered across it (this rig was on a lot of merchant ships with short hatches at #3 or #5 ). Some derricks at #3 had a second topping lift eye midway down the derrick, when the starboard derrick was in its crutch, the span would be unshackled from the derrick head and attached to the mid derrick eye, so that when the port derrick was lowered it did not foull the starboard topping lift

(ii) the other option was to release the topping lift from the derrick head and shackle it to the deck near the derrick heel.

(iii) if on a short passage and derricks were left flying then no problem, but if on a short passage and span not released from derrick head, then the slack span on the port derrick was just lashed to the starboard derrick to stop it swinging around.

(iv) on vessels not using the monkey face, but cleats on a masthouse for the span, then the method was heave up on a wire attached to thimble eye on span, then chain stopper off the aux wire through deck lead block and wind the main span over the cleats, not as easy as it sounds with a 4" wire, but they were big substantial cleats,

(v) there are other methods
I can fully confirm Peter's description with the monkey face plate (I believe some companies called it a union plate) I am presently also making a scale model of my first ship, Tantalus ex Samcleve ex John T Clark. I obtained the General Arrangement plans for the SS Tantalus from the Liverpool Maritime Museum which holds much of A. Holts documents. Photos of the Googled Jerremiah O'Brian proved helpful.
Old 22nd February 2019, 05:40
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2010

Interesting to see the different nomenclature used for the same piece of equipment. The "monkey face plate" referred to above was called a "flounder plate" on the Victory Ship I sailed on. I found it to be a safe way to secure the gear and much superior to the wire purchase described in Peter's (iv) above which required stopping off the greasy topping wire and then securing it on the large cleat on the mast. All the C-2's I sailed on had this type of arrangement which I feel was inferior to the flounder plate or monkey face plate arrangement.
Old 22nd February 2019, 09:27

#34 and #35

Ah! well! I did try, see #13 , my name isn't Peter

Seaman38
Old 22nd February 2019, 18:38

Another very comprehensive gallery of Sam-class Liberties here that may be of assistance