Ex Bank Line from the 60-70"s - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
01:13

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ex Bank Line from the 60-70"s

User Tag List

Old 24th December 2013, 20:27
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1971

No sorry I joined B/Lin 62
Old 25th December 2013, 22:53

Quote:
Originally Posted by dick burrow View Post
i remember going down poop hatch on rosebank in 1967 to check unloading of full hatch of heineken for sukarnapura, armed guard was on the piss with dockers and gave me the slit throat signal and touched his lips, telling me to say nowt. went up told john sturgess (old man) he said knock power off deck. stopped unloading. they were robbing cases left right and centre, dropping them in dock and diving in after them. worst lot of thieving tw**ts i ever met, apart from london,liverpool warfies !!!
Good story but weren't we Engineers and Apprentices prone to a wee thieving ourselves sometimes...

I remember my first trip on the Eastbank loading Johnny Walker Scotch and Craven A cigarettes in London on a Brocklebank Charter bound for Suez, Red Sea Ports and the Seychelle Islands...

Our first party after leaving the UK was some beer and quite a few bottles of Scotch...
Old 28th December 2013, 02:25
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnietwocoats View Post
Good story but weren't we Engineers and Apprentices prone to a wee thieving ourselves sometimes...

I remember my first trip on the Eastbank loading Johnny Walker Scotch and Craven A cigarettes in London on a Brocklebank Charter bound for Suez, Red Sea Ports and the Seychelle Islands...

Our first party after leaving the UK was some beer and quite a few bottles of Scotch...
Shocked and stunned to have the good name of apprentices maligned like this! What is the site coming to?
I am starting to mumble now as my tongue is now jammed in my cheek!!!
Yes, alas some items did not seem to have an address on them and I too was guilty of finding a home for them.
What the hell, all good fun at the time and those times are gone, woe!
Old 28th December 2013, 05:51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donald McGhee View Post
Shocked and stunned to have the good name of apprentices maligned like this! What is the site coming to?
I am starting to mumble now as my tongue is now jammed in my cheek!!!
Yes, alas some items did not seem to have an address on them and I too was guilty of finding a home for them.
What the hell, all good fun at the time and those times are gone, woe!
LOL...Hope you had a great Christmas and looking forward to a Happy New Year...
Old 3rd August 2015, 06:19
Department: Navigation
Active: 1959 - 1965

Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT HENDERSON View Post
Did any of you Bank Line men know a Capt Parsons who I believe was Master with the company.

Robert
Sailed with Captain Francis Parsons on the Rosebank and Teakbank in 1964. Very good seaman and skipper.
Old 4th August 2015, 16:23
Active: 1966 - 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Captain View Post
G'day Pete, It's funny how a person can remember all the ports of your first trip to sea. We joined the Laurel in Billingham in March '65 discharging some kind of sulphate then off round Europe, London and completing in Genoa. I think you joined in London when the Irish 3rd Mate went crazy when he found out that 2 year articles really meant that with Bank Line. Then we were off for exotic ports of the tropics via the Suez Canal and Aden, for bunkers. The first stop was at Thursday Island to pick up the Torres Strait pilot, this was very exciting fir a 17 year old who a couple of years before had read the book "A Passage of Islands" then it was on down your list of ports but instead of Nauru we went to Townsville, Mackay, Brisbane and Newcastle to complete discharging by the middle or end of July. The rest of the world called us for the next 10 or 11 months making my first sea voyage so 15 months long - the longest I had been away from my home.
I have one question Pete, you mention "Sukarnapura" which was just over the boarder in West Irian but that was a new name for an old port and I believe that original name may have been restored, WHAT was the original name of Sukarnapura - the name that appeared on the cargo plans? Just as another query, you mentioned Port Vila but I am sure that this wasn't the original name of this port - was it called something else in 1965. You missed out Kieta on Bougainville from your list of ports for the South Pacific run.

Pete do you know what happened to the 2nd Mate, John East, I never heard about him after that trip he was promoted to Mate after the little problem in Chalna.

John S
Sukarnapura used to be called Dajapura and is now just Jayapura. the province itself went through a variety of names too - Irian Jaya, Irian Barat and is now West Papua, presumably to reinforce the link beween Papuans on either side of the border.
Old 4th August 2015, 18:48
Active: 1959 - 2007

My location
In Netherlands Nieuw Guinea time it was called Hollandia, up until the Indonesian take-over.
Old 1st January 2016, 04:43

Hello Donald,

Ex Speybank, Forresbank, and Beechbank 2nd mate. Living in Napier love to hear from you or any ex Bank Line chums. 1975 to 1978.

Martin Moore
Old 3rd January 2016, 04:05
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin Moore View Post
Hello Donald,

Ex Speybank, Forresbank, and Beechbank 2nd mate. Living in Napier love to hear from you or any ex Bank Line chums. 1975 to 1978.

Martin Moore
Hi Martin,

Good to see yet another ex Bank Line "survivor". I live in Wanganui and am one of the masters on the vintage steam paddle vessel "WAIMARIE" on the river here. Would be great to meet you if you are ever in the area. I'm in the phone book and a trip on the vessel would be on me, as it is always great to meet up with SN members, especially ex BL.
Sometimes seems strange to back on the water after being retired, but I reckon it keeps ya young, just doing something you love.
A good New Year to you and yours.

Cheers
Don.
Old 28th February 2019, 06:39

2nd Officer David John Wood

Hi everyone,

My dad was on Minchbank 65-66, Speybank 68-69, Oakbank 70 - 71, Teakbank 71-71, Cedarbank 71-72 and Lindenbank 72-73.

His name is David John Wood & he's from Keighley West Yorkshire England. IMG_0244.JPG