Ships Nostalgia banner

BP Navigating Apprentices 1949 to 1985 database

60K views 112 replies 50 participants last post by  kezzawd 
#1 ·
I spent a lot of pleasant time compiling this database 136 pages 3800 names and more, it does not exist anywhere else, there is nothing like it, it is unique, BUT it is essentially only for ex Navigating Apprentices/Cadets and it is sent to you with no other agenda.

I'm going nuts searching for and finding the odd NA/NC here and there, you guys ( and there are many of you in SN, you might even know others out of the SN network ) know where I stand. If you are interested drop me a line (see my profile)

The database ends at 1985 because that is the last of my collection of BP Fleet News, Ships Movements etc. If you are an ex Nav Cadet from 1985 on drop me a line I will add you to the list

Graham

#44 ·
British Dart

I remember you Richard as a first trip DC,I was a first trip EC.Your fellow DC John Bamfield went under the sobriquet of fender belly if I'm not mistaken.Were you still on board when we spent Xmas in Yokohama at a ridiculous angle while a shore squad renewed the stern tube seal?

#46 ·
I never moved away from the north east.As my user name suggests I live in Hartlepool.I left after the cull in 1986 and for the last 26 years I've been driving a desk in the water company control room based in Washington.I vaguely remember our paths did cross again but I can't remember which ship

#49 ·
I have just made contact with Capt Stuart LeFevre, the captain in charge of deck cadet training when I started in 1972.

I was so pleased to learn that he is still alive and apparently very active running his local bowling club and a successful vineyard in the SW of England. I have good memories of him as I think most cadets of that period have.

nina

#53 ·
Hi Peter,

Just come back from a six day cruise to Alaska so not quite up to speed yet , but you have me confused.

Prestige sailed Dunkirk 31/10 1972 with 4DC's; Griffiths Meldrum,Renton and a CB Moore. Master CD Brown, Miller 2M, McVeigh 3M. CE Kwist ( I think he was one of my old CE's 12+ years before)

A PG Moore from a little place in Wales is # 2699 in the NA/NC database. Trent DC12/74, but that was before my collection of Ships Movements vastly increased. Prestige Jan 1973 two additional DC's; Knapp and Birch.

We should get connected. I'll send you a Shipsnostalgia email.

Graham

Graham

#52 ·
I sailed briefly with Dougal in 1972 on the Argosy (my 3rd ship before Phase 1 at Plymouth) and I think also another shi-p but cant remember which. He was one of the strongest guys I ever saw and had had a tough time, not even including the "Survive the savage sea" episode.
nina

#62 ·

Hi Graham
Where may I find the database advised . Any way just in case I'm not in it here's my detail David McCabe from Dublin

Renown May 1957 to Dec 57
COmmander Jan 58 to Aug 58
Valour Oct 58 to June 59
Commander Sep 59 to June 60
Lantern Aug 58 to Sep 58
Rover Sep 60 to Mar 61

Had road accident which put paid to my career in the Merchant Navy
Anyone out there remember me?

Regards

David McCabe

#63 ·

Hi Graham
Where may I find the database advised . Any way just in case I'm not in it here's my detail David McCabe from Dublin

Regards

David McCabe
Hi David,

I hope you are keeping well. I have not forgotten you, we first met 2009.

I sent you a copy of the NA/NC database 20/2/2011, its size then was 129 pages, now 168 pages. I'll send you an up to date copy. You are at #53.

Do you still have the same email address as in 2011? If not send me a Shipsnostalgia email or Private message with your new email address and we will reconnect.

Graham.

#65 ·
Hi Graham
I was a BP Nav Apprentice first ship the Comet in March 1963, then Kiwi, Sailor, Fern, Hawthorn and Sovereign. Left in 1973 to the Marine Branch RAF then Offshore Oil and Gas.
Thanks David, I will send you an SN PM or email.

You are at #2540 NA/NC database, ( Stretford?). I have full crew list for Kiwi 2/64 ( including you) and more.

Graham

#67 ·
Dave Curtis, BP Nav App and 3rd Mate 1965 to 1972

Graham, if you would like to add me to your database:

I joined BP in September 1965 but did two terms at South Shields Marine and Technical College before my sea time. Dates are approximate as I seem to have lost whatever record I had.

British Courage May to July 1966 (left at Falmouth drydock)
British Ensign July to September 1966 before next college phase at South Shields.
British Hawthorn 1967/68
British Argosy 1968
British Liberty 1968
British Officer 4.12.68 to 24.4.69 (Uncert 3/0) including long drydock in Lisbon.

Regards

Dave Curtis

#69 ·
Graham, if you would like to add me to your database:

I joined BP in September 1965 but did two terms at South Shields Marine and Technical College before my sea time. Dates are approximate as I seem to have lost whatever record I had.

British Ensign July to September 1966 before next college phase at South Shields.
British Hawthorn 1967/68
British Argosy 1968
British Liberty 1968
British Officer 4.12.68 to 24.4.69 (Uncert 3/0) including long drydock in Lisbon.

Regards

Dave Curtis
Dave,

I will add you to the NA/NC database and also take note of your BP seatime as indicated but I cannot send you a copy of either through the shipsnostalgia network, both are large and complex, over 165 pages.

If you want copies email me direct (see my profile) and I will send you copies immediately.

Graham

#70 ·
British Hawthorn 1967/68
British Argosy 1968
British Liberty 1968

Dave ,

Don't forget the Ambassador 3M, April to July 1970

Graham

#71 · (Edited by Moderator)
Graham,
I was a nav app with BP from 1962- 1966 and served on the following ships.

Clyde Prospector
British Destiny
British Mallard
British Venture
British Gunner

May not have been in that order as I don't have the dates. I was also on what I believe to be the first MAR course at South shields.

I would like to see the database and my email address is (email address removed by Mods - please PM member).

Thank you

#75 ·
Hello Nick
Yes I was on the 1st MAR course and yes at 1st we did stay in 'digs' for a while until Winterbottom Hall was made fully ready for us.If I remember correctly there were nearly 30 of us to start with mainly BP along with some lads from Souters/Huntings/Dagliesh/Stag.Some of the names I remember are -
Jim Hartley/Ron Plant/Jeff Breeze/Bill Harvey/Jeff Dickinson/Barry Hope/Bob Morgan/Mick Spink/Chris Woods/Jim Smith/Jim Caizley/Rolly Gray and one lad we used to call 'Drac', your name I regret to say I cannot remember

brgds Roger

#77 ·
MAR course

Hi Roger,

I have some photos of the time in Shields. The one of everybody has me in the middle standing up with a very white shirt and tie. The other one shows the most of the crowd I mixed with and the car we bought between us.
We are also in a group in the middle of the first picture.
Hope this is of interest.

Nick

Attachments

#96 ·
Hi Roger,

I have some photos of the time in Shields. The one of everybody has me in the middle standing up with a very white shirt and tie. The other one shows the most of the crowd I mixed with and the car we bought between us.
We are also in a group in the middle of the first picture.
Hope this is of interest.

Nick
Hi There.
Oh wow, John William Hume is my father :) My brother Peter sent me a copy of this photo.
I'm new to Ships Nostalgia so only just found this :)
If it is of interest I've got a list of all the ships he sailed on and dates, when he was working for BP, then CP.

#78 ·
Hi Nick
Thanks for those photos, they brought back some memories.I can put a name to some faces but not all,I am standing far right.I only ever kept closely in touch with John Hume(standing in the striped jumper) but tragically he died after being stabbed whist ashore in Mexico in 1985.I might have seen one or two when up for 'tickets' at the Marine School.
brads Roger

#83 ·
No problem Graham
I would be pleased if there were some names put to people.

Regards

Nick
On this photo I recognise faces but have difficulty putting many names
to them.There is me far right,Roly Grey on my right, possibly Dave McGrail - the blonde lad on the right side of the back row,Jim Caizley is in there as well and the lad we called 'Drac' is front row on the left in light coloured jacket with *** in hand.That might be Mick Spink kneeling down in the white shirt centre of front row.
Jeff Breeze and Jim Hartley seem to be missing(both BP)
brads
Roger

#81 ·
Eric Livemore

A shot in the dark, but this BP thread is impressively comprehensive, which makes me optimistic that someone out there might remember Eric Livemore. We 're talking late fifties / early sixties.

My interest is that Eric was a friend, a character not ever forgotten, and we completed the first Maritime Studies B.Sc together in Cardiff 1969. He lived close by in Caerphilly with his family during the study period.

Sadly, he was killed in Nigeria by gunmen who stopped his car on the road.

Any recall would be very welcome. Thanks to the BP fraternity!

Alan Rawlinson (ex Bank Line)

#85 ·
A shot in the dark, but this BP thread is impressively comprehensive, which makes me optimistic that someone out there might remember Eric Livemore. We 're talking late fifties / early sixties.

My interest is that Eric was a friend, a character not ever forgotten, and we completed the first Maritime Studies B.Sc together in Cardiff 1969. He lived close by in Caerphilly with his family during the study period.

Sadly, he was killed in Nigeria by gunmen who stopped his car on the road.

Alan Rawlinson (ex Bank Line)
I sailed briefly with Eric on the British Merlin in 1968 I believe. He was extra 2nd mate and I was Sparks. I remember him as a very nice chap. As I recall he was married to a Danish girl. It stuck in my memory that his children could speak three languages, Welsh, English and Danish. He has been mentioned on this site before on a previous thread, if that is of any help.

#93 ·

Hello come across your thread I’m Eric livemore son would love to hear from you about your times with my dad
Hi C,

You sent me a Shipsnostalgia Private message, I will reply in full in that.
However, I do know of your father, I believe he was a 1955 Navigating Apprentice ( I was a 1955 Engineering Apprentice) from Southend?
He appears at #2398 on my Navigating Apprentices database and the first ship I know of was the Vision in October 1956 with 3 other NA's ( who I have never come across and also 2 EA who I do know.
Last ship as far as I know was Rover 3M 1961

I think I know what happened to him.

I'll be in touch.

Graham

#90 ·
Hello Roger
You are right, I am 6th from the right on the back row, with too much blond hair, (it's now a different colour).
I recognise a lot of the names and I remember you putting your own words to many Beatles songs. I recall John Hume had a motor bike, fell off it and was known as "limpy".
I went back to Shields for 2nd Mate's and Mates but Liverpool for Master's.
I left BP in 1973, daughter arrived, went on the M/C ship canal s..t boats for a while, then RAF marine branch, then offshore, retired last year from wind farm work, coincidently in an office round the corner from Britannic House.
It is good to know that so many of us are still around.
I will watch this thread
David McGrail