My First Ships - Ships Nostalgia
16:22

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

My First Ships

User Tag List

Old 1st May 2019, 14:40

My First Ships

After a bit of research I have now pinned down dates for my first two ships to add to my 'career'

I departed Liverpool for Ceylon onboard the HMT Devonshire (with mother and brothers of course!) on the 21.11.55 at the grand age of 1 year and 1 month. I was then in negombo until May 57 at which time the RAF base was handed over to Bandaranake. I departed Colombo early May 1957 (aged almost 3!) on the Empire Fowey arriving back into Southampton 27th June 1957.

With this in mind I can I now extend my sea going career to almost 65 years - from baby to Captain in 65 years?????

On a more serious note though, there are plenty of pictures and details of the Devonshre and Empire Fowey but little with respect to 'life onboard' since unfortunately my memory of these trips is fairly vague.

These old troopers full of captive miltary personnel with very little to do day in day out, limitted facilities and pretty crappy accommodation ( assuming I was lucky and had a 'family cabin').

Any one out there with anecdotes, information and stories ..........of these old troopers?
Old 1st May 2019, 21:24
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Welcome onboard Tony, enjoy the site, I can not help you but somebody on the site might have some information...

Cheers Frank