Mahseer - Mahe - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
16:47

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Mahseer - Mahe

User Tag List

Old 14th December 2007, 09:19

Tony/Roger

Thanks for solving the puzzle. As soon as I knew what I might be looking for it jumped off the page. It is indeed Derek O'Byrne. The problem was that his signature has a copperplate capital 'D' followed by lower case 'a' and 'm', where the 'm' has a long vertical tail hence 'arry'! What a great source of knowledge this site is.....

slms
Old 14th December 2007, 20:00
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Navigation
Active: 1944 - 1989

Docgk,
So glad we solved your mystery just before Xmas. Now you can have a good one. All the best from an 'old' shipmate and have a good New Year.
Old 14th December 2007, 20:48
Super Moderator
Department: Engineering
Active: 1962 - 2005

My location
When in Mahe on the Mahsud in 1974 I met an Irishman who was chief of police ; he came onboard to scrounge up a turnip some potatoes cabbage and a piece of mutton etc. so he could go home and cook his wife a good Irish stew ( couldnt grow those veggies there ) I became quite friendly with him and after I signed off and Mahsud left he invited me to "The Pirates Arms " for a few beers and a bite to eat on a Saturday .
Not long after we were there two parties of men arrived ; quite well dressed and proceeded to sit at opposite ends of the bar and tables .
He explained one party was the prime minister and his cabinet ; the other was Rene who was in the opposition communist party ( He later overthrew the government in a coup .
He said give them about 20 minutes and watch the fun !!

After a few beers they became quite rude to each other and loud . Finally a scuffle broke out and two police came in and broke them up ; separated them and they continued debating things of state for a bit then slowly ;one by one dwindled away .
It was the most bizarre thing I have ever witnessed ; The Chief told me it was a standard thing every Saturday lunchtime and he quite enjoyed the entertainment .
He also told me crime was rare and he only had two people in his jail ( Same chap on two different occasions for drunk and disorderly ).

At a later date a neighbor of ours in South Africa and good friend of my late father made an aborted attempt to take the island back . His name was ( is ) Mike Hoare and there is a good book he wrote " The Seychelles Affair " for those who are interested in the Island .
His son who was a young pal of mine in South Africa is currently writing his
biography .
Regards Derek

Regards Derek
Old 15th December 2007, 07:23
Active: 1961 - 1975

My location
Question "Mad" Mike?

Derek! Salaams! Was that "Mad" Mike Hoare you refer to? Wasn't he based in Aden when he was in the Army and gained his "Mad" epithet because of the incredibly daring raids he used to carry-out against the local yokels (who were extremely vicious and cunning people) during "The Troubles" in that centre of duty-free goods!!!!!! Phil
Old 15th December 2007, 17:38
Super Moderator

My location
He was by some called Mad Mike .
I dont know of any exploits in Aden .
His main exploits were in the Congo . He wrote 2 books on the campaign " Congo Mercenary " and "The Wild Geese " which was later made into a film . After the Congo he was in Singapore operating an offshore supply boat company . After the Seychelles Affair he spent a long time in jail as he and his group hi jacked a plane and escaped Mahe to South Africa after a fire fight at the airport.
I am fortunate to have all of his books as he would sent copies to my Dad as they were published . Some signed with notes to my father . I also have correspondence to my father but have not been able to find the letters he sent while incarserated in Pretoria Central .
There was also a Xmas card from the Congo to Dad suggesting he come and join him ; the thought of which horrified my mother who told him plainly that he was not going !

Regards Derek
Old 15th December 2007, 20:27

My location
a little known fact about "mad" mike hoare is that he was a fully qualified accountant.

it never sits well with his later life, i always feel.
Old 15th December 2007, 21:52
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Phil,
I think the Mad Mitch you were referring to was Lt Col. Colin "Mad Mitch" Mitchell of the Argyll & Sutherland Highlanders who were involved in the retaking of Crater, Aden in July 1967.
Old 17th September 2011, 15:41
Super Moderator

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
a little known fact about "mad" mike hoare is that he was a fully qualified accountant.

it never sits well with his later life, i always feel.
He was indeed a fully qualified accountant among other things . The write up on him in Wakapedia is incorrect however . He was born in Calcutta ( not Ireland ) and he served with the Royal Engineers in India and Burma during the war ( not in the North african campaign )
After the war he led Safaris in South Africa and other trips to the interior . He had a new book published in 2009 Mokoro - A cry for help which is a very interesting non military read .
He incribed a copy for me which reads " remembering with sincere affection your father, my good friend Jock, who taught me the art of trout fishing in the Draensburg and many other things about life!
Mike Hoare Col Dec 2009 "

He was also a very good sailor and published a book Threee Years with Sylvia ( an old Baltic trader ; he converted and sailed around the Med ). A good read for any sailor .

He was and is a very quiet unassunming man who answered the call of President Tshombe to free the congo of the "Simbas " and in the process saved many lives .

Regards Derek
Old 17th September 2011, 20:04

My location
Hugh,

You certainly tickled the nostalgia buds. I visited the Seychelles in '65 on Mahseer and what a beautiful unspoilt place Mahe was - the wooden "Big Ben", hurricane lamps for street lighting, out-house sanitation, the inter-island schooners, the sea-plane that brought the mail, and friendly people. The taxi we used to get across to the other side of the island was something else - an ancient big American convertible with a 45 rpm RECORD PLAYER in the dash and the only record was an ancient scratchy copy of The Hawaiian Wedding Song!

Truly happy days and, unfortunately, gone forever.

gwzm
Old 17th June 2019, 21:17

Seychelles

Hi I collect Film and Photos Of Seychelles, I have the largest Seychelles FILM collection in the world, always seeking more , the older the better .
Can exchange etc ! Please contact me if you have any

[email protected]