Films at sea, early 60s - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
06:35

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Films at sea, early 60s

User Tag List

Old 30th June 2019, 17:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1976

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by david freeman View Post
i just wonder what is the problem is there one?
I have worked in my younger days for a shipping company of european management, managing many vessels under various flag states and in saying this, crews of various nationalities.
In the 60;s while at sea the red duster, and british registered shipping companies, I was only aware of white crew entrainment, and for this the film service offered by the Shipping Library service, run by the seamans educational society.
In my ignorance I am unaware if we had an asiactic/foriegn crew they were not issued with dedicated local language films: However they were invited to watch the as issued english language films.
I just wonder what the modern seafares welfare societies in the international ports of the world [Rotterdam-in europe] what they may now offer?
Further on a flagged ship in 2019 what are the off watch facilities for entertainment relaxation, with modern officers and crew being multinational in the truest sense of the word.
Is it all TV's and satellite services for tv and telephones?
I would guess that on a modern day ship with so few crew members and they are only onboard for a short periods maybe they are not bothered about watching films, when you are probably alone in the mess when you are off duty...

Frank
Old 30th June 2019, 21:19
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 1958 - 2010

I was on a cruise in North Pacific a couple of year back and the crew from the Philippines had their own films in both English and Filipino.

geoff
Old 5th July 2019, 00:49
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1958 - 1965

NZ Shipping Co / Federal Steam ships had films delivered two or three times a trip. Job of showing the films was 2R/O responsibility. Cant remember how many film reels I spliced after overheating when projector jammed, or, as in the case of Bo Derek raising from the sea, when the crew asked my to pause the film. Two films I specifically remember were Billy Budd and Mutiny on the Bounty which kept cycling back on board, possible to warn us not to mutiny
Old 5th July 2019, 08:26

Films atSea

I can recall back in the 60's when i was eng. on the ss Athenic which carried about 80 1st. class passengers when the weather was suitable a makeshift canvas screen was rigged between the samson posts of no.5 hatch in the evening and movies were shown. It was quite humerous at times if the 8-12 watch decided to blow tubes and pre-heaters during the screening as on many occasions the screen would be damaged by hot soot from the funnel.