Banana Boats - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
10:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Banana Boats

User Tag List

Old 8th September 2015, 23:16
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1970 - 1977

Hi Nigel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Hibberd View Post
Hi, I was a navigation cadet from April 1973 (at the end of the year I changed over to Engine Cadet) and Capt. Tony Whithouse was in the Southampton office in charge of all of the cadets at the time - he was not too excited about my decision at the time, but he let me change.
Bloody hell, never thought I would hear your name again.......... I was the engineer that caused you to change from Deck to Engine... blimey mate, so much to discuss, please get back to me.
As for Capt. Whitehouse, he was Admiral of the fleet, he then went into the Head Office at !, Queens Way, Southampton.... Its now an Indian Restaurant. Please contact....... where are you now ????
Old 8th September 2015, 23:20

Hi es

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leslie Richmond View Post
Yes, Bailey's dry dock, It then became part of Bristol Channel ship repairers - so I believe. We used to use the consevative club at the top of the hill for a beer!

Cheesr

Les

you were a deck apprentice when I ( Steve Townend) and John Hooke were Eng Cadets, we joined in Barry Dry Dock.
Old 9th September 2015, 02:52

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric's ruth View Post
Hello
Just found this site and have read several of the threads and would just like to say how nice it was to bring back memories of the old day when my dad Eric Taylor was sailing on these ships. I remember some of the names of the crew but as I was only a little girl it's hard to think back that long. Dad passed away in 1977 if any one remembers him would love to hear from you. Someone mentioned Marcus Bowden he called several times to see dad before he passed away think his mother in law in Netley Abbey not far from where we lived.
Blimey, remember Marcus well, sailed with him when he was 2nd ( think it was M.V. Must) hope he is well, if he still lives in Netley Abbey, then I am around the corner !!!!!
Old 9th September 2015, 17:32

Capt Whitehouse

Yes, I too joined the Motagua in Barry as an Eng Cadet, when he was the skipper........what a fantastic trip that was, we also managed to spend 3months in Panama rebuilding the Main Engine..... 2nd Eng was Campbell, elec was Bob Robinson can't remember other names, but they were great and looked after a first tripper................. I also served on Musa, Manistee, Davoa, Magdalena, Morant, and the one that did the run from Cortez to Gulfport weekly, Bayano !!!!
Would love to hear from any old shipmates
Old 9th September 2015, 22:48
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1943 - 1951

If some of you post-war sailors are interested in Elders and Fyffes' losses in WWII, they are listed in my book SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR, giving Masters' names, when and where sunk and by whom, and the number of those who died.
Old 16th November 2015, 14:39
Department: Deck
Active: 1967 - 1982

Capt. Tony Whitehouse was the seagoing Master. Capt. George Whitehead was the Marine Manager/Superintendent based in the Southampton office.
Those were good dys!

Tony Galt
Old 24th March 2018, 18:09
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1954 - 1961

i was on tilapa and Manistee in the 50,s and sailed with stewardess phylis who had a sister also a stewardess.
Old 8th May 2018, 19:12
Active: 1954 - 1993

I do not see a thread for Geest Line and was thinking about a Chief Engineer I once sailed with who was known as Freddy Fox. I think his real name was Malcolm J. Fox. Anyone sailed with him?
Old 8th May 2018, 21:52
Active: 1947 - 1954

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by johncmartin View Post
i was on tilapa and Manistee in the 50,s and sailed with stewardess phylis who had a sister also a stewardess.
I sailed with Phylis a couple of times, I cant remember what ship as I sailed on the Ariguani,1 Bayano,1 Cavina 4,and the Corrales 2.
All great trips and crew.

Last edited by John Rogers; 8th May 2018 at 22:15..
Old 9th May 2018, 17:14
Active: 1954 - 1967

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian Lawson View Post
I do not see a thread for Geest Line and was thinking about a Chief Engineer I once sailed with who was known as Freddy Fox. I think his real name was Malcolm J. Fox. Anyone sailed with him?
I sailed with Chief Engineer Freddie Fox in either the Pozarica or Palomares when with MacAndrews on the London Lisbon run. I recall a personable man who hailed from down Surrey way.

Keith
Old 9th May 2018, 18:11
Active: 1954 - 1993

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aberdonian View Post
I sailed with Chief Engineer Freddie Fox in either the Pozarica or Palomares when with MacAndrews on the London Lisbon run. I recall a personable man who hailed from down Surrey way.

Keith
That's interesting Keith, as I am sure he was ex MacAndrews in addition to Geest. He hailed from Chichester. Would be in his early 80s now.

Ian
Old 10th May 2018, 17:26
Active: 1954 - 1967

The last time I saw Freddy he was in the process of selling his house in Godalming, Surrey about the year 1963/64. I have no knowledge of where he moved to afterwards. You are right, Ian, he would be into his 80s by now, A very stylish man as I recall and a good shipmate.

Keith
Old 10th May 2018, 19:44
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1967 - 1977

An interloper
I was R/O on Barranca 1973
Cpts Gilbert, Hodges, Dole
Mate C Leitch
My apologies.
Others Danny Cunningham, Glynn Chilcott, Danny Gilmore, Mick Felton
C/stw Len Palin
At that time we ran Galveston- P.Cortes then up to Gulfport,alternating with Bayano.

We had a few Hurricane encounters were on one occasion whilst berthed at Gulfport we were summoned to return to the V/L, (we were ashore).
Having sailed to meet the hurricane and having ridden it out, we returned to port. The US auxiliary v/l previously berthed in front of us, ignoring the warning, was now up the beach..

As R/O I did 7 months, what a time !!!!
Old 11th July 2019, 12:30

Hi Nigel (Hibby)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel Hibberd View Post
Anyone remember a Chief Engineer called "Whispering" Jack Russel of Elders & Fyffes? I sailed with him once on the "M-Class" motor ships (can't remember which one). His hobby was building model railway steam engines. Even had rails round his garden. Really nice guy - didn't even get cross with me when I "blew the tubes" over him and his wife on the boat deck one afternoon (sometime in the late 70's). Tall guy with dark curly hair and a beard (looked like a real "Chief") and always spoke quietly because he was hard of hearing and was scared of talking too loud.
Remember me, we were at Highbury tech together.
I sailed with whispering Jack for a short time on the Manzanares when I was 3rd Eng in 81. He spent many hours in the workshop with parts of his locomotives.