British tanker seized - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
21:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

British tanker seized

User Tag List

Old 21st July 2019, 20:06

What I find curious is that she has a British flag but no one on the vessel, according to the TV, is British.

I remember sailing with Union Castle when South Africa left the commonwealth. South African Captains and Chief Engineers were told that if they didn't take British citizenship they would lose their jobs.

When and why did this change?
Old 21st July 2019, 22:01
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

I haven’t seen any reports from Oman. Although this is not unusual for this. They do have an effective navy, presumably still with seconded RN personnel and contractors and a base near Kassab. Oman has radar on islands in the Straits of Hormuz and must monitor activities out there.
Old 22nd July 2019, 00:45

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
If Northern Marine and Stena Bulk are concerned about the safety and welfare of the crew, that will be a first ! As they didn't care about their crews, when the Stena King\Queen went to scrap. Said they would look after us and the next thing that happened, my wages stopped without notice !! and No redundancy payment after working for them for 13 years !
Intresting, I was being pushed by an agency to go direct employed with NM as ETO on Stena Queen. Wages offered were crap. I didn't want it. On the morning of the interview, I had a large glass of whisky, so my breath stank of it, so, immediately knocked back. Thank fck thought I.
Old 22nd July 2019, 07:08
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1961 - 1994

My location
In my early days I worked for Stena on their DSV's great job great company, Then were employed by SWECAL "Swedish Caledonia" only the change of Names, they were taken over as management by Northern Marine, Then same some changes in our leave ratio's, wages stayed the same, on leaving I also received redundancy, so not bad in the early days, not a Company I would work for now.
Old 26th July 2019, 02:21
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 1966

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevekelly10 View Post
Apparently HMS Montrose was an hour away and could not intervene ! This leaves me to wonder what would have happened if she was closer ? What are the rules of engagement ?
Peace time rules of engagement. Fire only in self defense, not in defense of another vessel.
Old 26th July 2019, 02:34
Active: 1960 - 1966

It's high time for a massive upgrade to the pipelines from Saudi Arabia to ports on the Red Sea and Tel Aviv. These pipelines already exist, and yes, it would cost billions, but when you consider the mountain of cash the Saudis are sitting on, the billions involved in shipping and it's defence, and the entire continent of Europe relying on that oil, it could be well worth the price.
Old 26th July 2019, 03:14
Department: Engineering
Active: 1965 - 1975

These Arab chappies are getting far too uppity, if you ask me, Rather think we should send in a gumboot, that will sort them out.
Old 26th July 2019, 03:59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freo View Post
These Arab chappies are getting far too uppity, if you ask me, Rather think we should send in a gumboot, that will sort them out.
And one not made from Gum-Arabic I hope.
Old 26th July 2019, 09:35
Varley Varley is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1971 - 2011

Is 'Send a gumboot' the genteel American for 'kick-*rse'?
Old 26th July 2019, 11:19
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1962 - 1979

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzBoz View Post
It's high time for a massive upgrade to the pipelines from Saudi Arabia to ports on the Red Sea and Tel Aviv. These pipelines already exist, and yes, it would cost billions, but when you consider the mountain of cash the Saudis are sitting on, the billions involved in shipping and it's defence, and the entire continent of Europe relying on that oil, it could be well worth the price.
That is the reason for the requirement for supplying oil to the Banias refinery. The pipeline from Iraq is broken.
Old 26th July 2019, 16:09
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 2005

Negotiating? My foot!
My dear limey colleague, didn't Neville Chamberlain teach us the value of negotiating with dictators? I wish Maggie Thatcher would still be with us today. The Ayatollahs would not have dreamed of seizing a British ship.
Unless a quick action is taken in the Gulf, we shall soon hear threats to scuttle the Grace One and pollute the shores of Europe. Federica Mogherini & Co. will be kneeling down and kissing Iranian sandals.
Where are you, Great Britain? What would have Winston Churchill think of you? Have you lost his heritage?
Old 27th July 2019, 02:03

Hi Avraham.
Britain please! it is no longer Great.
Tugger
Old 27th July 2019, 07:21

Isn't the war in Syria over who gets to control an oil pipeline to the Med? Russians trying to get it by supporting the legitimate government. The USA trying to get it by supporting everybody else.
Old 27th July 2019, 14:22
Active: 1951 - 2005

Norm, Are you fair dinkum?
Do you call a government that killed over 500,000 local citizens, made more than 2 millions of its own people refugees and destroyed its country -- "The legitimate government"?
Old 28th July 2019, 08:57

When I went to sea in the mid 60"s it was fun with lots of time in port on General Cargo ships. Tankers were better paid but when you are young, fun overides money.
Nowadays it is in and out and generally there is no fun left - but it is well paid.

I am very glad that I went to sea when I did - I don think I would choose it as a career today.
Old 28th July 2019, 11:57
Active: 1956 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Al Viljoen View Post
When I went to sea in the mid 60"s it was fun with lots of time in port on General Cargo ships. Tankers were better paid but when you are young, fun overides money.
Nowadays it is in and out and generally there is no fun left - but it is well paid.

I am very glad that I went to sea when I did - I don think I would choose it as a career today.
Agreed. One of my sea poems has a preamble from a friend, "I'm glad I was through it in the right times."
Old 29th July 2019, 00:15
Active: 1976 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom roberts View Post
In all the goings on the men who are the pawns in this tit for tat piracy and that is what it is are the crews of whatever nationality ,the tanker boarded in Gib as well,remember brethren they are seamen and are worthy and in need of our prayers and thoughts,the governments of all sides don't give a damn for them we should,another earlier post referred to young men here in the u.k.not wishing to got to sea is wrong the fact is the owners for max profit use poorer countries. For crews and pay them peanuts but again I ask for your thoughts and prayers for all our seafaring brethren from whatever country.
Well said Tom. Seafarers cross all political borders and they only want to do the job they like or need to. The crew are in my thoughts as well.
Old 29th July 2019, 00:21

Quote:
Originally Posted by double acting View Post
What I find curious is that she has a British flag but no one on the vessel, according to the TV, is British.

I remember sailing with Union Castle when South Africa left the commonwealth. South African Captains and Chief Engineers were told that if they didn't take British citizenship they would lose their jobs.

When and why did this change?
Have you been turned in with Rip Van Winkle or something?
Old 29th July 2019, 00:28

[QUOTE=Al Viljoen;2994401]
/QUOTE]

In my humble opinion, it was the in and out which was most fun......and we didn't mind paying for it! Rule Brittania!
Old 29th July 2019, 13:49
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
The Dryad advisory today contains some comments which SN commentators may find of interest? It appears to be advising UK shipowners to re-flag to China (Is this possible?) and not to employ security guards on any ship! For detail see https://mailchi.mp/1409230d72a6/pers...update-29jul19
Old 1st August 2019, 23:36
Active: 1974 - 1989

Tanker Seized

Hi Guys,

I was on a few Tankers in the mid to late seventies and eighties. Was with P&O Bulk shipping division.

They used to give danger money when you were in a war zone, not much use against bullets.

Is there anyone out there who was on the Ardshiel, Ardlui, Gazana, Fernie or other P&O bulk vessels.

Would love to here from you.
Eddie Garden
Old 3rd August 2019, 05:18

Because the Red Duster (IoM) is now a flag of connivance like any other. BP has two fleets, one with UK crew, the other Indian, Ukrainian, Russian etc - per British Heritage. Managed from IoM with BP Shipping headquarters at Sunbury. There are very few British crews at sea these days, even less US ships and crews (the US has less than 200 US flagged ships trading).
Old 4th August 2019, 11:26

Breaking news at the moment, it looks like the Iranians have seized another tanker, nationality unknown at present
Old 5th August 2019, 02:02

There are still people who like to see war and destruction as long as it isn't in their country, talk, such as, let's teach the Iranian's a lesson, make me wonder if they went through the 2nd world war, I did and saw what could happen even in the little village I come from that was bombed, I had two little girl cousins killed by bombs. My heart bleeds when I see kids killed in my own country never mind the Middle East, thanks to the so called Arab Spring brought on by lies. Britain no longer rules the waves, the US saw to that after the war. Everyone should read President Roosevelt's auto biography, you will find that he wanted America to take over all Britain's influences world wide, and they have, and in my mind to the detriment of the world.
While ever world bullies have traction from ordinary people we will be in trouble.
Tugger