Reina Del Mar - Ships Nostalgia
04:15

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Reina Del Mar

User Tag List

Old 24th February 2005, 16:53

My location
Reina Del Mar

An interesting pic of REINA DEL MAR when she was built by Harland & Wolff
ltd Belfast in 1956. She was built to mantein the service from U.K.France and
Spain to Bermuda , Bahamas etc. (M. Ships W.Built 1956).
I think that all photos can be put on the site, important is specified when they are not of our Personal Collection, like this the unfortunately that have not a great collections can partecipate to the site with researching and scanning the various ships pics.Are you agree with me?
This is an example.
Gp
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reina del mar.JPG (48.2 KB, 780 views)
Old 24th February 2005, 20:19

I certainly am agreeable.I don/t think anyone would pass off an official shot as one of their own taking.It is good to see these shots and as has I think been said before,as long as no financial gain is to be made,should be OK.
Actually,I have a copy of this shot as well-on trials off Isle of Arran on the Clyde and was looking at it yesterday!!!It/s not as clear as your one.
Old 24th February 2005, 20:23
Ron B Manderson

Talking ???????

Dont show off
where is it my e mail box is empty
Old 24th February 2005, 20:39

I/ll scan it and send it to you.
Old 10th July 2005, 13:17

The photograph that i have of the Reina del Mar is where she has been modified for Union Castle's Cruises which was taken i believe in 1974
Old 10th July 2005, 20:14
Super Moderator

Reina del Mar

She actualy operated a much longer service, Liverpool to Valparaiso via the Panama Canal, for Pacific Steam Navigation Co, from 3 May 1956 to 5 March 1964. She was then chartered to a strange South African organisation called Max Wilson's Travel Savings Association where regular subscribers obtained cheaper holidays. The shareholders of TSA were Canadian Pacific, Union Castle and Royal Mail (the parent company of PSNCo).
Reina del Mar returned to Harland & Wolff and was extensively rebuilt for her new role. She was managed by Union Castle but remained under PSNCo ownership. Her first sailing was to New York in June 1964. In October Union Castle became the sole shareholder in TSA but the ship continued to be owned by PSNCo even though the following month she was painted in Union Castle colours.
Riena del Mar spent most of her remaining life operating cruises out of South Africa. In 1969 Royal Mail became her owners and in 1973 she was bought by Union Castle. In 1975 she was scrapped in Taiwan.
It is interesting that through all these changes she retained the same name.

Fred
Old 13th February 2006, 19:08
Jim S Jim S is offline   SN Supporter

Reina del Mar

Thought some of you might like a photo of Reina del Mar in Union Castle colours. The pic was taken at Southampton (Empress Dock, if I remember correctly) in late 1960's. Her lavendar hull is looking a little tatty.
I remember one of the G & J Weir men who did her sea trials out of Harland & Wolff describe her as "The Reina del Mar that never got far".

Jim S
Attached Images
File Type: jpg reina del mar.jpg (101.7 KB, 490 views)
Old 27th November 2006, 18:11

The attached scan comes from a pic off a Union-Castle Line poster which I acquired a few years back. I cant decide if I preferred her with the structure forward of the funnel, or without it (I believe it was a cinema).

Last edited by reklaw; 24th October 2008 at 20:01..
Old 29th November 2006, 17:34
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 1980

My location
Cinema

It was a cinema.... I did one year as 3rd Mate on her.... very happy ship... new selection of ladies every 12 days.... The cargo has to be looked after !
Old 28th February 2008, 14:53

Great ship and a great run,Havana before Castro, was a great night ashore, we were there on Jan 1st when the revolutionaries came into havana, we were in the dos hermanos bar fortified with bacardi. The next trip however things had changed and Havana was taken off the itinary. Still there was always Valporaiso, Callao,panama and the spanish ports for compensation
Old 28th February 2008, 20:24

My location
probably a bit of a dim question........

but why was a passenger service from uk. to valpo required??????
Old 29th February 2008, 22:32
Super Moderator

It seemed a good idea at the time!

Fred
Old 2nd March 2008, 08:16
Department: Navigation
Active: 1963 - 2006

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
probably a bit of a dim question........

but why was a passenger service from uk. to valpo required??????
More to the point.... why was there a passenger service from Valpo to the UK?

Chile has always had a close relationship with the UK.... first steam ship through Estrecho de Magallanes was PSNC's 'Chile'... the Armada de Chile is a very British institution, then there were the British nitrate interests in the north of the country.. and so it goes on. Piloto Pardo would have traveled to the UK on a PSNC passo ship.

Last edited by Cisco; 2nd March 2008 at 10:28.. Reason: added stuff.....
Old 24th September 2008, 03:31
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1983 - 1997

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim S View Post
Thought some of you might like a photo of Reina del Mar in Union Castle colours. The pic was taken at Southampton (Empress Dock, if I remember correctly) in late 1960's. Her lavendar hull is looking a little tatty.
I remember one of the G & J Weir men who did her sea trials out of Harland & Wolff describe her as "The Reina del Mar that never got far".

Jim S
The picture is actually of the Reina del Mar alongside the 1966 built Queen Elizabeth 11 terminal at 38/39 berths. The terminal that is currently the main Cunard terminal untill May 2009 that is when there main terminal will be the new OCEAN TERMINAL situated at berths 46/47 in the Ocean Dock opposite berths 43/44 where the orgional Ocean terminal of 1950 was situated.
Old 24th September 2008, 06:12

My location
Am I thinking of the same ship when I seem to remember that a large number of immigrants from the West Indies in the 1950's arrived aboard her?
AB
Old 24th September 2008, 09:27

Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientBrit View Post
Am I thinking of the same ship when I seem to remember that a large number of immigrants from the West Indies in the 1950's arrived aboard her?
AB
REINA DEL MAR
O.N. 187132. 20,263g. 11,214n. 600' 9" x 78' 4" x 30' 1"
Six steam turbines made by the shipbuilder, driving twin propeller shafts. 17,000 SHP. 18kts.
5.6.1955: Launched by Harland & Wolff Ltd., Belfast (Yard No. 1533) for Pacific Steam Navigation Company Ltd., Liverpool. 8.4.1956: Completed. 1964: Chartered to Travel Saving Association (Union-Castle; Canadian Pacific; Royal Mail and Max Wilson all being participants). (Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd. / Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., appointed as managers). 6.1964: Charterers acquired 100% by Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd. 1969: Transferred to Royal Mail Lines Ltd., (same managers) and charter extended for a further five years. 10.1973: Sold to Union-Castle Mail Steam Ship Company Ltd., (Cayzer, Irvine & Company Ltd., managers). 5.1975: Transferred to Travel Savings Ltd., (same managers). 1975: Sold to / through Mitsui & Company Ltd., Japan, for demolition in Taiwan. 30.7.1975: Arrived at Kaohsiung for demolition by Tung Cheng Steel Manufacturing Company. 10.12.1975: Work commenced.
Old 24th September 2008, 09:36

LR gives her deadweight as 11,214 & from the pics it seems she had 5 hatches. Anyone know what types of cargo she carried in each direction?

Tony
Old 25th September 2008, 16:24
andysk andysk is offline   SN Supporter
Super Moderator (L)
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1970 - 1978

Quote:
Originally Posted by fred henderson View Post
..... Riena del Mar spent most of her remaining life operating cruises out of South Africa .....
Actually, cruising in the Med & northern Europe in the northern summer, then from South Africa in the northern winter - 2 or 3 from Cape Town to South America, and maybe a couple to the Indian Ocean islands from Durban.

Attached a pic of her departing Cape Town on 25 June 1975 for Taiwan. She was in for bunkers and berthed well away from the normal cargo berths to stop visitors - her presence was not publicised.

A sad occasion.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RdM final dep ZSC for scrap 19750625 v2 (Show 1 - 180).jpg (76.1 KB, 311 views)
Old 25th September 2008, 17:01

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Breach View Post
LR gives her deadweight as 11,214 & from the pics it seems she had 5 hatches. Anyone know what types of cargo she carried in each direction?

Tony
Never was 11,214 deadweight; that was her net tonnage.

In the 1971/72 Lloyds Register she was given as

T/Mk 20,747g. 11,312n. 8,260d.

5 hatches served by 4 ten ton and 13 five ton derricks.

Last edited by BillH; 25th September 2008 at 17:03.. Reason: detail amendment
Old 25th September 2008, 17:12

Thanks Bill,

My LR 63/4 only gives 2 figures for tonnage & I wrongly assumed that the bottom one was deadweight. What did PSNC ships normally carry freightwise - was it nitrates &/or ores? Did this ship carry some fruit in season? 5 hatches & some impressive cargo gear as well with possibly around a 5,000 ton lift after bunkers & water.

Tony

Last edited by Tony Breach; 25th September 2008 at 17:16..
Old 25th September 2008, 17:18

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony Breach View Post
Thanks Bill,

My LR 63/4 only gives 2 figures for tonnage & I wrongly assumed that the bottom one was deadweight. What did PSNC ships normally carry freightwise - was it nitrates &/or ores? Did this ship carry some fruit in season? 5 hatches & some impressive cargo gear as well with possibly around a 5,000 ton lift after bunkers & water.

Tony
Tony,

Sorry but cannot answer your cargo questions as I have no reference works for that aspect.

My interest in her was from the B&C operation as a cruise vessel.

Bill
Old 25th September 2008, 17:29
Department: Engineering
Active: 1978 - Present

My location
I was on her with my parents on a family holiday in 1968. Out of Southampton; Malaga, Casablanca, Madeira & Lisbon. Straight out of Southampton into a Force 9 gale - my mother & I were not well - not helped by Dad & my kid brother being unaffected...

Didn't put me off joining B&C as a cadet in late 1978, & I'm still at sea
Old 25th September 2008, 17:31
Department: Engineering
Active: 1978 - Present

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by AncientBrit View Post
AB
Are you not thinking of the 'Empire Windrush', AB?
Old 25th September 2008, 19:21

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by G0SLP View Post
Are you not thinking of the 'Empire Windrush', AB?
Could well be GOSLP, It was just a memory from the ways back and I may be getting it crossed up with seeing her elsewhere in my travels somethere. Weren't the Empire vessels used as troop transports at that time?
Another memory jog Hahaha.
AB
Old 31st October 2008, 21:55

reina del mar

My wife and I and 2 young sons went on the R del M from Liverpool to NY in 1964. We had paid a total of 135 to Max Wilson's Travel Service Assoc. The trip took 17 days - we were in NY for 4 days where the World Fair was on.
It was a superb trip. Being an ex MN Mate it was a busman's holiday. The captain, whose name I forget was an uncle to a work colleague and he spent most evenings in the big lounge which had been built forward of the bridge and contained what they boasted was the longest bar afloat. One evening I pointed out to my wife that all the deck officers were in the bar except for the junior 4th officer. There was often a popping of steam from the funnel - too much steam pressure I think. On one occasion we were with several other passengers wandering around the engine room in the early hours.
Some passengers had booked to go to Canada on a subsequent trip but due to lack of demand they put them with us to NY, flew them to Canada and back - and all for the same price as we paid. Needless to say the firm went pear shaped and ceased trading.
She was originally a PSNC ship and traded to the west coast of S America. In those days there was a close connection between Chile and the UK. I have friends who were in PSNC and they used to go to many S American ports. An earlier ship was the ORDUNA - a passenger ship of the 1920's I should think.