Kuwait Shipping Co - Page 2 - Ships Nostalgia
13:33

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Kuwait Shipping Co

User Tag List

Old 13th April 2008, 11:44

hi tom

i sailed with you on the al mubarakiah.ken coomes was 2nd parry old man.
look at the quotes the clues are there.

albie

i must know you.

i loved the early days at ksc there wre just more characters then you could shake a stick at.
Old 13th April 2008, 20:10

Hi Baileysan

Only aboard Al Rumaithiah for a couple of weeks (coastal trip) 28th Nov 72 to
12th Dec 72.

Regards
Iain T
Old 16th April 2008, 16:43

tom

do you remember a lad called rupert the bear.?

albie

im sure you do
Old 28th April 2008, 18:21

Hi Iain, I sailed on Ibn Khaldoun 1974 as R/O July to November. The only names I can remember Jake Scallan, first mate and Bob the third engineer. Loaded Sulfur and cement around the gulf red sea and bombay. Pakastani crew, curry for breakfast lunch and dinner. I had a great cabin, radio room ensuite!
Jog your memories?
Tom
Old 28th April 2008, 21:08

Hi Tom,

Joined Ibn Khaldoon at Dammam on 30th Aug 1975 - abandoned at sea on the 22nd Sept 1975 (engine room fire). The OM if i can remember correctly was called Hughie Dyer ? Karachi crew. Very nice Spanish built vessel, good accommodation. Were on the way to Japan to load pipes for Kharg Island.

Regards
Iain T
Old 29th April 2008, 14:23

Tks for reply Iain, nice to meet you, yes I had hrd about the engine room fire didn't realise it was abandoned, was the vessel lost then? Can't rem the om name I sailed with he was a big heavy bouncing chap, full of energy I will check my discharge book, maybe Peter something or other. Chap called Les the lecky, 2nd mate was ex Zim line. WE spent the summer in the gulf a/c broke down never forget the heat. 45 with no a/c. Was the Tx a Crusader? It broke down on me, had it repaired in Kuwait. Have you any photos of Ibn Khaldoun? Like to see them. I have one. Rgds, Tom.
Old 29th April 2008, 17:10
Active: 1936 - 1986

Hi Iaian and Tom,
I have an interest in IBN KHALDOON..In Feb.1974 I flew with a gang of riggers to Bilbao and we helped sail the newly built ship to Antwerp.
Her Master was Capt.Toni Bassi.
There are other postings re this ship in the Forum -
'Kuwait Shipping or UASC' ,type in this whole title..
Baileysan informed me the ship was later salvaged and returned to trading - I believe with Greek owners.
I would also like to see a photo if you have one..
Regards - Stan
Old 29th April 2008, 19:44

Hi Tom and Stan,

Believe after we abandoned the vessel she was taken to Bahrain, but from there have no idea what happened to her. As she was Spanish built the radio equipment was all local but i could be wrong ?. Sorry don't have photo of Ibn Khaldoun.

Cheers
Iain T
Old 30th April 2008, 21:12
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
I was on one of the small Rusians in the Gulf when she went on fire. I seem to remember that the QC valves for the main engine didn't work and she was steaming around on fire unmanned, but it was a long time ago and the brain cell is not what it was!
Old 30th April 2008, 22:12

Inb Khaldoun

Hi all

I have a photo of Ibn Khaldoun when she was Valle De Ayala. I,m afraid you will have to bear with me as my scanner is kaput.
She did indeed have a serious engine room fire in the gulf en-route to Japan.
My grey cells cannot positvily remember the OM but I will work on it. I think it was Willie Frampton. I was Superintendent at that stage and was sent out to Bahrain where she was brought to the anchorage. The Chief Superintendent, SA Surveyor and I lived on board the alongside Dutch salvage tug for a few days assessing the damage and as I was familiar with the layout assisting the salvage crew in making the engine room water tight etc.
Some time later she was declared a CTL and we handed her over to the salvage company. at some later date I heard she was bought "as is" by a Greek owner who had her towed to Greece, repaired and put back into service. Her final name or history I do not know.

KSC ,or UASC as it was by then, built two more of the class in Bilboa,Spain, Ibn Majid and Ibn Zidouin, I spent some time during the building and handover. Nice ships and the orginal idea was for them to transport heavy construction pipes for the Gulf but this fell through and they were used for general cargo which was a disaster from the cargo handling side. They were sold off fairly soon.
A little story after the event, I was on holiday in Teneriffe some years later and the waiter at some fish restaurant recommended a white wine, Valle de Ayala. Very nice wine too.
Old 30th April 2008, 22:48

Tom,
Thankyou for the extra information,I had believed she became a CTL within a few weeks of her maiden voyage.
It means Captain Bassi was no longer in command.
Stan
Old 1st May 2008, 11:33

hi all

i stood by the building of ibn majid in bilbao,never thinking that years later i would own a restaurant in spain,all be it in the south.
fires....i was on the al ahmadiah,on my honeymoon trip when she had a hold fire and we spent six weeks in l,pool.
my wife and i took my mother in law to see her and as we came over the hill she said look at all that smoke ,there must be a ship on fire.......bloody mothers in law!
paul talbot ( aka rupert )
Old 1st May 2008, 19:22

Hi Everybody,

Sailed on the 'Ibn Majid' from 1st Feb 1975 till 16th June 1975. Re 'Ibn Khaldoun' engine room fire - we had just bunkered in the gulf before voyage to Japan - there was a leak from a gas oil pipe onto a geny and up she went - even sealing engine room and sprinkler system on did not have the desired effect and had to be abandoned - the om, think mate or 2nd mate and myself went back onboard but whilst there a large explosion from one of the gas oil wing tanks - so decided that was that and departed - after few hours in lifeboats were picked up by tanker and then transfered to KSC vessel and onto Kuwait.

Regards
Iain T
Old 1st May 2008, 21:28

Kuwait Shipping

IAINT

Does the name Wille Frampton ring any bells as regards the OM.
Of course by the time I attended her all the crew had long departed.
We arranged our Kuwait ship Repairers, Dimitri(that will ring a few bells) to attend and their manager Peter Porter arranged portable generators etc. etc.and in general looked after her until she was declared a CTL and handed over to the Salvors.
From what I remember of the condition,not a pleasent experiance to have been on board at the time of the fire!!!!
Old 2nd May 2008, 10:23
Allan James

Does anyone remember Cliff O'Sullivan, ex-ED's and noted for his rather firey temper

Regards

Allan
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:17

Baileysan

Sorry Willie Frampton does not ring a bell - believe our OM at that time was Hughie Dwyer ? The fire happened very quickly - the worst of it all was the thick smoke - very difficult in the accommodation - remember when opened the radio room door was meet with a heavy volume of extremely thick black smoke - difficult to see and breathe.

Heard that they managed to salvage the beer at Bahrain.

Regards
Iain T
Old 2nd May 2008, 19:25

When I was a crane driver on the Mersey docks, we used to absolutely love the Kuwait boats. all they loaded was steel hoops , topped off with pallets of soap.As we were on tonnage, we could make a fortune out of them. A week of nights at the Kuwait could net you a month's pay on any other ship.
Old 4th May 2008, 17:23

baileysan

did you get my email address
Old 7th May 2008, 15:03

Tony Cameron

Joined KSC/UASC as Eng cadet 1977 & finished up as 3rd Eng until finished in 1986.
Sailed on following vessels:-
Al Ahmadiah 07/78 - 01/79
Ibn Qutaibah 03/79 - 08/79
Al Kadisiah 07/80 - 01/81
Ibn Zuhr 04/81 -08/81
Al Khalidiah 10/81 - 12/81
Jilfar 12/81 - 03/82
Ibn Rushd 04/82 - 07/82
Tabuk 11/82 - 03/83
Jilfar 07/83 -01/84
Ibn Hazm 03/84 - 08/84
Al Ahmadiah 01/85 - 05/85
Ibn Al Roomi 08/85 - 11/85
Al Shamiah 11/85 - 12/85(Laid up Jebel Ali)
Khalid Ibn Al Waleed 03/86 - 08/86(laid up Antwerp)
Had an absolute blast & enjoyed every minute!love to hear from anyone i sailed with.
Old 8th May 2008, 20:51

Kuwait Shipping

Candpet

Yes thanks got your address and ahve sent e-mail
Old 8th May 2008, 22:07

Anybody remember Kaz Wlodarczyk a Polish engineer?
I knew Kaz in Palm Line 1967 to 1972 and saw him in later years in UASC ships when they visited Tilbury.
Stan.
Old 17th May 2008, 12:06

i remember willie frampton very well a rough arsed irish first officer,he hardly knew how to hold a knife and fork but he was a good lad until he was in drink, i remember offering him out when we wre both worse for wear.thank god he didnt accept he was about 2 foot taller than me and another 4 stone ,he would have murdred me.
those wre the days.
did anybody else go to a club in yokohama called the ig short for italian gardens,it was was of gis on r and r from korea the air was thick with canabis smoke and the only song they played on the jukebox was american pie.
the atmosphere was electric.that was back in 1972/3
Old 5th June 2008, 11:38

baileysan

have just recieved a photo from john farmery with him and gwen the scotts and ourselves plus tony bassi.must have been circa 1978.ive gone into a depression,how could i have looked that young?
the scotts had the post office in wooky hole for many years until p.o closures bit and they have i believe converted it into a house.
we get a card at christmas from the bassis.
hope your well
paul
Old 8th June 2008, 17:47
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1968 - 2011

My location
Paul
Just read your post about Willie Frampton, it made me laugh. Everybody was two foot taller than you, we used to get our overalls from the Army and Navy and you had babygrows from Mothercare! I was over in Waterford a couple of years back and I saw a Notice to Mariners posted and it was signed Liam Frampton (Harbour Master). That was his real name and he came from that area so I wonder if anybody can confirm it is the same Willie. He always used to wear wellies on deck and I painted the mates stripes on them in yellow paint. I was in the Liverpool office the day he got his command and I promised to add the extra stripe next time I sailed with him. I did sail with him as Master and he was one of the better ones. Happy days.
Old 9th June 2008, 22:04

Candpet

Photo must have brought back a few memories.I speak to Tony Bassi fairly often.
I met up with Willie Frampton in some UAS airport few years ago, interesting to hear Albie comments.
You in touch with any other old contacts?