Blue Funnel Crew Lists - Page 4 - Ships Nostalgia
13:04

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Blue Funnel Crew Lists

User Tag List

Old 10th June 2013, 19:05
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1960 - 2004

Bob vart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomvart View Post
My Uncle worked Blue Funnel Line Ships as an Engineer from the late 30's, his last ship was in the mid 70's, I know he was a Chief Eng. when he left the company, and that one of his ships was torpedoed and sunk by the Japanese in WW2, apart from this I have no record of what ships he served on, Is there a resource for Alfred Holt Crew lists available on line or does this need to be done at Kew?

Or perhaps I may be really luck and some of his old shipmates may be members of this site? He was called Bob Vart (He unfortunately died in 1994), He has a son, also called Bob Vart - also with Blue Funnel as an Engineer, he left in the mid 80's and now lives in Hong Kong.

Can anyone help or point me in the right direction?

Thanks in advance.

Tom Vart
Old 30th June 2013, 11:18
Department: Engineering
Active: 1964 - 2005

As one who had the good fortune to sail with both Blue Funnel and Glen Line, while the companies were run as separate entities, the manning of the ships of both fleets was organised from India Buildings. That is not to say that Glen Line had no input in senior positions on board their vessels.

George Thomson
Old 2nd August 2013, 10:38
Active: 1953 - 1961

Anyone remember a chief engineer James Waite (I think that is the spelling) who came from Hartlepool.
Old 2nd August 2013, 22:01
Active: 1970 - 2001

Hi Big John. I did three trips with a Jim Waite on the Flintshire in 72/73. Quite an interesting guy to sail with. I'm not sure he came from Hartlepool, but certainly from up that way. The 2/E one Fred Longster was definitley from Hartlepool.
Old 17th August 2013, 11:11
Active: 1953 - 1961

Hi Baz,thanks for reply,James must have mellowed with age as he had a reputation in the mid 50s that 2engs would never do another trip. Did he still wear that black beret?
Old 3rd December 2014, 21:06

Hello Hugh

I am interested in what you say about the form CRS 10. How far back are records kept?
I am looking for a relative who was a Captain with the Blue Funnel Line before and during WW!

I am new to searching my Family tree and seem to be stuck as I am not sure which ships he was on. Or how to fins the number of a ship

Any help would be appreciated.

Chris
Old 14th March 2015, 13:12
Active: 1964 - 2003

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomvart View Post
Allan,
Thanks for your post, and pleased to meet you......I hadnt realised Uncle Bob served with Glen line as well as Holt/Blue Flu or are they one and the same?
Bob always used to tell me some fascinating stories of his time at sea - If you have any anectdotes of Bob I would love to hear them?

kind regards,

Tom
I sailed with Bob Vart, Chief Engineer on the M.V. Glenogle in 1965 as 6th Engineer.
Old 14th March 2015, 18:11
Organisation: Royal Navy
Active: 1976 - 1988

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkin333 View Post
I am interested in what you say about the form CRS 10. How far back are records kept?
I am looking for a relative who was a Captain with the Blue Funnel Line before and during WW!
Chris
Hello Chris,
Sorry I appear to have missed your post.
CRS10s are records from the Fifth Register of Seamen covering 1941 - 1972 only. There are no surviving personal MN records for WWI the only records for that period would be the crew agreements of known ships. Also Lloyd's Captains Register would also give a breakdown of all his ships. More details on request but a name, date and place of birth would be the minimum information I need.

Regards
Hugh
Paid it in full”
Old 3rd February 2018, 20:24
Department: Deck
Active: 1957 - 1969

[QUOTE=Macphail;329806]Re: The “Asphalion” crew list.
Nice to see Tony Latchford’s and Ian Tomlinson’s names.
I sailed with Latch on the “Glenorchy” for a couple of years in the early sixties; he went on to become Lloyd’s principle surveyor for the Far East. I sailed with Ian on the “Clytoneous”, nice lad from the Isle of Man.

Re: George the bosun, “Antilochus” spring of 1964.
I only remember his first name; he had a pet miner bird, a big friend of the Chief Cook. If
Thumbnail of George and the cook attached. ,
I
DURANGO , Could anyone with a far greater knowledge than myself put me straight to who the bosun is in this photo as soon as I saw the overalls and the steaming revvie I knew for a fact that I had sailed with him and I found him to be a good old fella I am sure his name is George but whatever his name the one thing I am certain about is that I definitely sailed with him best regards and thanks for the memories Dave

Last edited by DURANGO; 3rd February 2018 at 20:34..
Old 22nd December 2018, 16:52

Just a total random post my uncle James (Jim) Foxcroft was C E with Blue Funnel many years ago, he gave me the inspiration to become a seafarer all be it engineer with Andrew Weir (bank line)
Sadly he passed away a few years ago. Be pleased to hear of anybody he knew him.
Old 22nd December 2018, 18:29

I never sailed in BlueFunnel but my cousin DerekRoberts from Ruthin Noth Wales did ,unfortunately he lost his life when he fell down the hatch in Glasgow,my wife's ex father in law Doug Jardine was a bosun there is a picture of him on another thread about the company I believe he was in the shoregang ,