Any Bank Liners here - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
02:55

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Any Bank Liners here

User Tag List

Old 3rd November 2009, 20:18
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck

Bank Line 1977 - 1980

Meadowbank
Laganbank and
Hazelbank

good times but the writing was on the wall by 1980, time to move on
Old 30th November 2009, 16:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by AUCHTERMUCHTY View Post
Trevor Cretney was an ex Blue Funnel cadet and sadly had passed away at least and maybe just before 2004 when his year 1964 held a re-union in Merseyside. I was at the re-union and we drank a toast to a a decent bloke.
Sorry I must have missed this. Your right, Trevor was a Blue Flue man who had come to Bank Line due to the length of time it took to get a seconds job at BF after you had got your certificate. I was shocked when I read this as he couldn't have been very old. He was a great Chief to sail with and I was very sorry to read this.
Mike
Old 30th March 2010, 16:06

Recognise any names?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strath101 View Post
Hi Mike

Remember the names well, joined the Shirrabank in Sunderland end of May 1975 as 5/E and in Rotterdam end of June. This is where I get the two Mike's confused as Mike Barber was your replacement.
Other names, Graham Humphreys, Dave Lewis, Tony Bates.
Rest of the trip was good except for a generator blowing up and paid off Cardiff in Sept. Visited the Shirra a year or two later and the generator had not been replaced.
Funny thing is I was on the Spruce before the Shirra and the Spruce was known for many breakdowns e.g. left Panama 10 Oct arrived Sydney 7 Nov.
Strath
Do you remember these?
Mike
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Crew list.jpg (208.9 KB, 259 views)
Old 31st March 2010, 09:26

Long time since I saw that list, it was a good trip on the Shirrabank and we paid off in Singapore Dec 1975. While being ferried ashore and stepping on to dry land Tony Bates misjudged the gap and fell in, bobbed back up still with his pipe in his mouth.

Tony Bates below
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Scan10314.jpg (116.7 KB, 155 views)
Old 18th May 2011, 05:53

Hi, did my first trip as cadet on Shirra, Jan 70 - Nov70 transferred to Mara in Durban. Capt Ossie Brown became Commodore whilst we were loading grain in B.A.
Old 18th May 2011, 08:06

Hi Andy,you were my senior cadet on my first trip,Oakbank,Capt Kiff.Ted
Old 25th October 2011, 06:01
Active: 1966 - 1981

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonypep View Post
OK you ex Bank Line guys....my brother Ken Pepper from Hull, served his apprenticeship as deck cadet from about 1964 doing the usual 15 monthers. Does anyone remember him ? He was on the Riverbank in November 66 as we met up in Yokohama when i was on the La Loma (Buries Markes). Would be good to suprise him with a few names from the past and get him to come aboard.
Just signed on to SN so late in response.
I was one of three first trip apprentices who sailed on ''Riverbank'' with Ken, I remember him meeting up with you in Japan.
He was transferred as 3/0 shortly thereafter to one of the other Far East ships maybe "Levernbank''.
Hope life has treated well.
Old 27th November 2011, 03:32

Sailed on Rosebank C/O early 70,s
Old 3rd December 2011, 10:34

Does anyone remember a Bank Line apprentice in the late-1960s, called Paul Stephenson? He came from Manchester, I recall, and we sailed together on the Speybank.

Anyone know what became of him?
Old 3rd December 2011, 16:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe C View Post
Looks as if we nearly met!Apprenticeship on;-Moraybank,Irisbank,Levernbank,Fleetbank and the Ivybank.From 1954 to 1958
You are only the third person I have heard of that sailed on the "old" Ivybank (Samboat)
Old 16th December 2011, 22:40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry Bailey View Post
Just signed on to SN so late in response.
I was one of three first trip apprentices who sailed on ''Riverbank'' with Ken, I remember him meeting up with you in Japan.
He was transferred as 3/0 shortly thereafter to one of the other Far East ships maybe "Levernbank''.
Hope life has treated well.
Hi Terry

Sorry i'm a bit late with a reply as it's a while since i checked this thread.
Life's treated me fine, early retirement 2 years ago after a long sea career.
I'll get in touch and let Ken know about you. Hopefully get a reply unless he owes you any money

Tony...
Old 23rd July 2012, 22:44
Department: Engineering
Active: 1975 - 1982

would love to hear from anyone who sailed on the tweedbank in1975
Old 30th July 2012, 17:07
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1980

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat bourke View Post
Greetings was R/O on Clydebank in 76 and the Inverbank in 77 two great trips and some great people. Regards Pat
hi Pat - I was R/O on the Inverbank in 1978 - maybe I relieved you ? either side of that I did two trips on the Irisbank in 1977 & 1979

from memory Inverbank was GHRJ which was a mouthful each time when tapping with the trusty old Oceanspan !

was it you who attached the fan from the deckhead above the door so it was directed onto the bed ? A real death-trap, I just prayed that the string didn't give way or I would have had a fan on the head !!!

Irisbank was if I recall GMIA which was a doddle in comparison !
Old 8th August 2012, 22:22

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by minty View Post
hi Pat - I was R/O on the Inverbank in 1978 - maybe I relieved you ? either side of that I did two trips on the Irisbank in 1977 & 1979

from memory Inverbank was GHRJ which was a mouthful each time when tapping with the trusty old Oceanspan !

was it you who attached the fan from the deckhead above the door so it was directed onto the bed ? A real death-trap, I just prayed that the string didn't give way or I would have had a fan on the head !!!

Irisbank was if I recall GMIA which was a doddle in comparison !
Hi Minty,
I left Inverbank GHRJ in Bangkok Oct 77. It must have been the guy after me who put the fan up. There was none there in my time. That ship was a real sweat box.
Regards Pat.
Old 9th August 2012, 05:25

hi Pat

I joined her in Bangkock as it happens but in mid 1978 - yeah, she was a sweatbox especially when having to spend two weeks anchored at Chalna taking on jute & gunnies for South Africa if I recall - thought Calcutta was bad enough ! I remember spending ten minutes at a time in the ships freezer room just to stay cool ! The fan worked fine until the brushes finally packed in and a priority order was sent to MIMCO in Durban !

ahh, hot but happy days !
Old 9th August 2012, 12:46

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by minty View Post
hi Pat

I joined her in Bangkock as it happens but in mid 1978 - yeah, she was a sweatbox especially when having to spend two weeks anchored at Chalna taking on jute & gunnies for South Africa if I recall - thought Calcutta was bad enough ! I remember spending ten minutes at a time in the ships freezer room just to stay cool ! The fan worked fine until the brushes finally packed in and a priority order was sent to MIMCO in Durban !

ahh, hot but happy days !
HI Minty,
Apart from no aircon she was a good ship, I suppose its the crew that makes the ship. I see from your profile you sailed with Bank Line and Shaw Saville. I was on Benreoch and I did my last three trips on Zealandic and Laurentic.
Cheers Pat.
Old 9th August 2012, 13:27

[QUOTE=Pat bourke;612923]HI Minty,
Apart from no aircon she was a good ship, I suppose its the crew that makes the ship. I see from your profile you sailed with Bank Line and Shaw Saville. I was on Benreoch and I did my last three trips on Zealandic and Laurentic.
Cheers Pat.[/QUOTE

yeah, loved the ship and that trip which started in Bangkok and finished in Colombo if I recall where the ship was sold to the Greeks tho' i'm sure someone will correct me - tremendous ship mates on the Inver and the two Irisbank voyages - can't imagine a better bunch of lads - anyone recall the likes of Brian Woodcock,Mike Menday, Mick Richens, Bob Davidge, Peter Bennett, Malcolm Baines, Mike Gregory, Nigel Veal, Jimmy Downs, manuel McClean,Ken Mowforth, Peter perks,Malcolm Lavery, Rick Abbott et al ?
Can't recall the Shaw Saville tub, I did a holiday relief for a few weeks. I joined her in Newhaven and paid off in exotic Ipswich ! I think we just did european coastal stuff but I did learn a bit about life in the Winkelsrasse and 10 Mark alley etc etc
started off with the City of Edinburgh (Benline) and did a couple of trips on the BenLawers and loved every second of the company - she was a cargo ship with six guest rooms so it was a kind of cargo/passenger ship which must have been great for the passengers.
as you know Pat, being MIMCO you could end up anywhere and the worst trip has to be with Stevie Clarkes 'Storrington' which included a cold trip to Szezecin & Gdansk in february ! talk about the short straw ?
My only trip (fortunately) with Ellerman Wilson was on the mv Hero which sunk in the North Sea a few weeks after I left it , apparently a container shifted in heavy seas and started a chain reaction which allowed water to seep into the aft loading doors - a great ship though with all the mod cons, a R/R to Esbjerg/Hull as a holiday relief
Old 8th February 2013, 19:30

Bank liners.

Hi Stan. You mentioned Dalton Hall.I was researching this cargo carrier. My Uncle Stanley Parker RN DEMS was aboard the Dalton Hall in 1941 when she was damaged by a mine. Where you aboard her around that time?
Old 30th March 2013, 00:09

Hi, the "copra" run was known as a punishment run, maybe thats why I did it so many times, I thought these were the best looking ships (Moray,Ivy, etc.) we had but also the hardest to work on, this was because of the cheap materials (thin walled pipes etc.) used to build them, not the shipyards fault as they did as they were told by the company.
Old 30th March 2013, 17:48
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by geoff. morton View Post
Hi, the "copra" run was known as a punishment run, maybe thats why I did it so many times, I thought these were the best looking ships (Moray,Ivy, etc.) we had but also the hardest to work on, this was because of the cheap materials (thin walled pipes etc.) used to build them, not the shipyards fault as they did as they were told by the company.
Punishment run?not to us old bankliners who had done 18-22 months,to be told that we were going on the copra run was like gods gift.

jim
Old 6th May 2013, 10:18

I served my time from 1964-1968 then did another trip and left in '69. Ships I served on were

Northbank 1964-1965 Capt Davies
Weybank 1965-1966 Capt Owen
Rowanbank 1966-1967 Capt Brant
Garybank 1967-1967 Capt Lawton
Rosebank 1967-1967 Capt Sturgess
Hollybank 1968-1968 Capt Kish

Good times! ( and obviously some crap ones!)
Old 6th May 2013, 23:56
Active: 1964 - 1970

My location
Sailed on Inverbank , 1968, Chop Whittle and I were the apprentii, the old man was BJ Peterson, a really good bloke and his Missis was on board too. Usual trip, India, East pakistan (now Bangladesh) Burma, South Africa, the Sates, Islands and all ove rthe place to wind up.

Also Teviotbank, AJ Whiston was the old man and Marabank, Len Thorne. Anyone know of the whereabouts of Dave Hannigan or Mike Paye, appies on Marabank?
Old 31st May 2013, 18:57

Does anyone remember a guy called Ted Rouse. I believe he lived in Fiji. He was 3rd mate on the Northbank in 1964. Hell of a good guy! I drew the short straw in Valperiso and had to stay on board. Around 9pm Ted told me to get cleaned up and to get myself up the road and that set the tone for the rest of the run up the west coast. Amazzzzzzzing!!!!

Last edited by hillbilly; 31st May 2013 at 19:01..
Old 31st May 2013, 19:36
Active: 1975 - 1980

Sailed on Larchbank Joined Bangkok Sept 76 paid off Middlesbrough Feb 77 Callsign GHDN. Capt.R. Whitehead, C/Eng. J Atkinson. A great bunch of guys on this ship.
Old 2nd June 2013, 15:52

My location
Bank Line

Do any of you Bank Line folk remember a lad called Graham Ewing who joined Bank as cadet in 1958. I was at school with him and came across him in Amsterdam in 1959 when I was cadet in Blue Funnel. We had a great day together and went our separate ways and I have never seen or heard of him since and often wonder what became of him. Any body got any clues?
regards
Tom Inglis