Any Bank Liners here - Page 6 - Ships Nostalgia
08:06

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Any Bank Liners here

User Tag List

Old 13th November 2017, 16:37
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1953 - 1981

Container Securing on Bank Boats...

Many thanks for all of you who have responded to my queries. It has been most instructive. Seems the Bank Line design team were unfamiliar with the various securing systems that were available at the time. Perhaps we relied upon the recommendations of the builders and underwriters who, in turn, were unfamiliar with what was really required.
It would have taken interviews with actual seafarers who had sailed with the various securing systems. United Baltic or MacAndrews? Certainly Bank Line seafarers were virgins to the slaughter although some who had come in from other companies would, no doubt, have helped.

"It does seem like a dream now". More like a bad dream! We just had no idea what we were getting into. Myself and the U.S. staff included!

Alistair
Old 14th November 2017, 08:45
Department: Navigation
Active: 1951 - 1999

My location
Container lines

This exchange is pasted from the OCL thread, and may be of interest.......

Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
The great OCL and the legendary ACT. What happened to the British contribution to containerization in the long run? After all, we practically 'owned' the international liner trade at one time! Any of you who took part in the glory days of British container operations may have some answers and I think it's time we all heard what happened. I have my own views but I would appreciate some others!

Hi Alistair

Just browsing on SN (like we do ) and came across your post
The comprehensive answers to your question are contained in a fascinating and hefty book by a director of OCL - Alan Bott, who wrote a tomb called “ British Box Business - A history of OCL ( Overseas Containers Ltd). Well worth a read.

I had a few years with OCL, which I wouldn’t have missed for anything, and the spirit and ‘ can do ‘ attitude was a real eye opener.

Amazingly, (to my mind) the whole venture was judged finally to have been a brave failure. Not a disaster, as good dividends were paid to the shareholders over the years, but consortium problems and in -fighting over the direction did for the venture. Politics, in other words.

Technically and operationally, it was a great success. Boxing 99% of cargo, ( not without difficulty!) and using much larger and faster vessels produced a dramatic increase in efficiency, ramped up by short turn rounds. The savings over the old time honoured methods of break bulk were eye watering. Set backs occasioned by the use of new technology bit into the profits, and were a cause of friction among the line members. One notable set back occurred with the purchase of thousands of reefer containers which turned out to be toxic. The chemical linings were tainting the contents, and needed a very expensive remedy.

In many ways the early container consortia like OCL and ACT paved the way for the ultra efficient but ugly giants at sea today, ironing out problems as they arose. It was a fascinating time which deserves its place in shipping history.

Last edited by Alan Rawlinson; 14th November 2017 at 13:07..
Old 12th March 2018, 18:12
Department: Engineering

Ex Bank line, but still around.
Still involved in the Marine world albeit in a much smaller world.
Member of the Steam Boat Association.
Involved in Boiler construction.
72 later this year.
Old 13th March 2018, 14:08

Irisbank

Ian,I think I relieved you on the Irisbank in Trinidad 12th June 1975, not a great voyage the Chief was a dried out drinker.
We suffered a lot of the voyage with no sound insulation on the air end of the blowers following the generator fire and when in the dry dock a crankcase explosion in one of the generators, had to have all the crankpins reground due to ovality!
The Master, a bit of an acquired taste!. He and the Chief didn't get on at all well.
Left Bank Line in the redundancy purge March 1987.
Cliff Cocker
Old 14th March 2018, 12:09
Active: 1973 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clifford Cocker View Post
Ian,I think I relieved you on the Irisbank in Trinidad 12th June 1975, not a great voyage the Chief was a dried out drinker.
We suffered a lot of the voyage with no sound insulation on the air end of the blowers following the generator fire and when in the dry dock a crankcase explosion in one of the generators, had to have all the crankpins reground due to ovality!
The Master, a bit of an acquired taste!. He and the Chief didn't get on at all well.
Left Bank Line in the redundancy purge March 1987.
Cliff Cocker
I like the term "aquired taste" regarding the master! I am still of the opinion that some of the masters I came across had been promoted when still quite young but on promotion time stopped for them and they simply couldn't move with the times! One master insisted on cutting the chart rubbers in two and sellotaping chart paper onto a pencil to make it last longer. (I carried my own propelling pencils, chart correcting pens and plastic rubbers) I also sailed with a loonie bin who thought he was saving money for the company by doing the laundry himself, failing to pay the usual bribes in Suez resulting in a three day delay and buying stores that even the prison service would turn their noses up at. I also sailed with some superb masters whose goal was to first off all have a happy ship which resulted in an effeciently run vessel.
Old 6th April 2018, 11:45

Ah, good days. Chief was Derrick Hull.
Definitely the best company I worked for ( I stayed until redundancy called, but 14 happy years.).
Old 13th April 2018, 17:11
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1974 - 1980

Crew lists

Quote:
Originally Posted by mwebster56 View Post
Strath
Do you remember these?
Mike
Just found this topic again -

Of the crew lists shown I can recall appy Martin Hannon and
2/Off Mike Menday whom I sailed with on the Iris Bank (GMIA).
Old 13th May 2018, 09:36

My location
Officers and Gentlemen

Found this old snap but have no information re the people or the ship, Anyone? It is pre 1955 I believe.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4fa5.jpg (26.3 KB, 79 views)
Old 13th May 2018, 16:05

In all the Bank Line posts I see no reference to the Rose Bank was this a bad boys ship, I did one voyage on it UK/Pacific Islands/ Australia/India/South Africa the back to the UK on B.A.flight. The Captain was Kelly from Ireland
Old 13th May 2018, 18:29

My location
Captain Palmer

Captain Palmer in whites - a long time Bank Line master. Strict but fair.

this pic was from an earlier ship, probably just post war.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4fb3.jpg (23.6 KB, 75 views)
Old 13th May 2018, 18:45

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by garry Norton View Post
In all the Bank Line posts I see no reference to the Rose Bank was this a bad boys ship, I did one voyage on it UK/Pacific Islands/ Australia/India/South Africa the back to the UK on B.A.flight. The Captain was Kelly from Ireland
here she is, almost 20 years after being built. Newbeach under Monrovian register. Still a fine looking vessel.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fullsizeoutput_4fbb.jpg (19.9 KB, 91 views)
Old 13th May 2018, 19:06

My location
Anyone out there who has Bank Line magazines for sale? I have a few from the 80's but would be interested to buy more. Thank you.
Old 13th May 2018, 21:44
Active: 1953 - 1981

"ROSEBANK" Harland's 1959

The one and only "Rosebank" was one of the Harland & Wolff 'Cloverbank Class'. She was built for Bank Line but spent three years, 1961-1964 technically owned by the subsidiary company, Inver Transport and Trading Company.

This obscure company was, I have guessed, a successor to the Ocean Navigation Company Ltd. of 1899 which seems to have been a 'trial' by Andrew Weir for creating a private limited liability company called The Bank Line Limited in 1905. The Ocean Navigation had four ships: Adato, Quito, Oceano, and Yeddo. The stockholders of Ocean Navigation were 'extended family' or friends of Weir's. The company seems to have had no further ships after 1917.

Inverbank Transport & Trading Company Ltd., was created in the 1930s and technically, owned Eskbank, Teesbank, and Ettrickbank (all upgraded Doxford 'economies'). Later, Laganbank (1955) was added and then Rosebank (1961).

The reason for both small subsidiary companies, Ocean and Inver, was to allow some outer reaches of the 'family' to participate in ocean shipping in a way that did not include Bank Line. Both of these companies were operationally fully integrated with Bank Line but had different slates of Owners/Directors with Bank Line shares being closely held only by the inner circle of the immediate Weir family.

As for "Rosebank" being a 'bad boys' ship I have no reason to think of this as true having myself been a 'less-than-bad-boy' aboard Laganbank and Ettrickbank. (Or perhaps we were 'bad boys' and didn't know it?)

Alistair
Old 13th May 2018, 23:54
ELDER MEMBER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alistair Macnab View Post
The one and only "Rosebank" was one of the Harland & Wolff 'Cloverbank Class'. She was built for Bank Line but spent three years, 1961-1964 technically owned by the subsidiary company, Inver Transport and Trading Company.

This obscure company was, I have guessed, a successor to the Ocean Navigation Company Ltd. of 1899 which seems to have been a 'trial' by Andrew Weir for creating a private limited liability company called The Bank Line Limited in 1905. The Ocean Navigation had four ships: Adato, Quito, Oceano, and Yeddo. The stockholders of Ocean Navigation were 'extended family' or friends of Weir's. The company seems to have had no further ships after 1917.

Inverbank Transport & Trading Company Ltd., was created in the 1930s and technically, owned Eskbank, Teesbank, and Ettrickbank (all upgraded Doxford 'economies'). Later, Laganbank (1955) was added and then Rosebank (1961).

The reason for both small subsidiary companies, Ocean and Inver, was to allow some outer reaches of the 'family' to participate in ocean shipping in a way that did not include Bank Line. Both of these companies were operationally fully integrated with Bank Line but had different slates of Owners/Directors with Bank Line shares being closely held only by the inner circle of the immediate Weir family.

As for "Rosebank" being a 'bad boys' ship I have no reason to think of this as true having myself been a 'less-than-bad-boy' aboard Laganbank and Ettrickbank. (Or perhaps we were 'bad boys' and didn't know it?)
Alistair,I spWould you go along with that viewer do you think that we just had our heads in the sky/ent 2 years as 2/0 on the Ettrickbank and other than the old Clydebank it was the happiest ship I sailed on, we all put it down to the fact that she was Inver trading and we all believed that we got special treatmentt regarding feeding and whatever stores we put in for we got.
Old 18th May 2018, 11:28
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1972 - Present

Bankline

I joined Bankline in 1972 as Junior Engineer on Springbank in Bunbury Western Australia then over the next few years served on Lossiebank(1973) 4th Engineer, Fleetbank (1974)4th Engineer Crestbank(1978) 2nd Engineer and Roachbank(1979) 2nd Engineer
Old 11th October 2018, 22:01

Bank boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadet View Post
Looking for anyone that sailed with Bank Line 1975-80.
Esp. HollyBank or ShirraBank
First Bank Boat Irisbank 1974, was 2E on Shirrabank 1979 Chief was Derrick Hull.
Old 17th November 2018, 04:18

I remember a Cocker 6/E Foylebank 72/73.
Old 19th November 2018, 13:30
Organisation: Tugs
Active: 1972 - Present

Farquar MCKenzie

I remember Farquar Macrae McKenzie he was Chief Lecky on Roachbank in 1980 with me I was second engineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Mepham View Post
After my time as well, I did the copra run on the Hollybank in 1966,This I believe was the Holly's second trip ( she was brand new ) chief engr. was
Ceylonese who used to take his wife with him I think she was from Liverpool.
3rd engr was Bill Baxter, chief leccy was Farker McKenzie, 2nd leccy George
Rogers, cant remember the captain or any of the mates names.
I was a first trip junior engr.
I posted a photo of the Hollybank on the gallery about 12 months ago, she
is at anchor in Canada can't now remember the port, the photo was taken
in about 1979ish, with containers on deck, she was a really good looking
ship and never designed for containers, they spoil her lines.
Was anyone out there on that trip ???.
Old 19th November 2018, 18:28
Active: 1973 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by bilgerat52 View Post
I remember Farquar Macrae McKenzie he was Chief Lecky on Roachbank in 1980 with me I was second engineer
My wife and I visited Farquar some 30 years ago, it was, to say the least, a memorable evening with the next day being somewhat quiet.
I sailed with him on the Troutbank which we joined in Hong Kong and I must say he was always a gentleman!
Old 20th November 2018, 16:57

Scan 2-2.jpgI sailed with Farquar McKenzie on the Nessbank. Always a gentleman. I will try and post a pic
Old 21st December 2018, 23:09

Neither of those two, but certainly in that period, deck or eng?
Old 30th December 2018, 17:43

Hi Anthony (Tony) Williams here. Joined Bank Line as one of their first intake of Engineer Cadets in 1975, served untill mid 1986. Would love to get in touch with old. Shipmates.

Met up with Farqua Mckenzie, Chris Hardy and Frankie Mollett at a reunion in 2008 and kept in touch with Dave Morris up to a couple of years ago.
Old 31st December 2018, 01:51

Hi Anthony (Tony) Williams here. Joined Bank Line as one of their first intake of Engineer Cadets in 1975, served untill mid 1986. Would love to get in touch with old. Shipmates.

Met up with Farqua Mckenzie, Chris Hardy and Frank ie Mollet at a reunion in 2008 and kept in touch with Dave