Rowbotham Tankships Ltd - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
06:02

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Rowbotham Tankships Ltd

User Tag List

Old 30th November 2008, 12:15

Quote:
Originally Posted by StewT View Post
I sailed with Radio Rodney, (Radio because he was always on the vhf) several times as 3rd and 2nd mate dont know where he is now though.

Stew.
See my post 27 above.
Old 30th November 2008, 12:51

I have noticed a list of ex Rowbotham men mentioned. I met Steve Pond while doing a radar simulator course at Plymouth, we both used to go to the local Woolworhs for lunch. Another Rowbotham mate I met a Lowestoft college was John Stewart, he was mate on the Astraman at the time and then became a pilot at Kings Lynn.

Regards Robert
Old 7th December 2008, 17:07

Bridgeman 1972

In 1972 I was between companies and got three jobs from a Glasgow agency doing Trial jobs. One was the BRIDGEMAN who was built by Hall Russell Aberdeen in June 1972, see I had two discharges,first three days then after a week another for thrree days for sea trials. My discharge was as Chief Steward. Normally of course she wouldnt carry that rating but the shipyard manager said they wanted stock control on food as on previous ships they had over run on the budget, all went well and I got a bonus .
What I would like to know is what happened to the ship,where did she trade and how long did she last ?
Cheers, Stuart Henderson (R396040)
France
Old 7th December 2008, 17:29
Catering 1958 - 2007
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1958 - 2007

I was Ck/Stwd on the Wheelsman and joined the Pointsman new in Goole shipyard. 1969 to 1971. Skipper was Jan Rog,C/Eng from kent married to a South African girl, Nice crowd.
Old 21st December 2008, 17:52

Angry Pointsman

I was 2nd mate on the Pointsman in 1964 running between Heysham Harbour and the Manchester Ship Canal (Cadishead I think)
This was my first Home Trade ship having just got hitched to a Bootle lass, but found it worse than being away deep sea for months at a time, because I could see Bootle from the Mersey but still couldnt get ashore!!
Old 24th January 2009, 08:07
Department: Deck
Active: 1970 - 1987

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stuart Mooney View Post
How my liver survived on the Irish runs with Terry Frith and Sean Geoghan...............
Do you mean Kevin Geoghan .... skipper of the River Shannon, along with the mate Turleough McMahon and chief eng Harry Loughry ... every time we went to Dublin she was a ghost ship!
Did 3 trips on her as relieving 2/o - c/o .... great times were had, we even did a run to Falmouth which threw Kevin totally, around Lands End was uncharted waters!!
Old 23rd March 2009, 23:58
Active: 1981 - 1983

My location
I have been wandering around SN and have found no mention of lowly Class 5 Trainees. I was one for a year or so with Rowbothams. I was shuttled around the fleet a fair bit.

Have found my discharge book and family have had a laugh at the photo.
Gravesend from November 81 to February 82 - U class
Joined the Pointsman in Harwich - William Miller. Great food! After Peanut rations in Gravesend to see a four course menu for lunch amazed me.
Cadets had been dispensed with so the old man filled the cadets cabin with beer. Happy ship!

A couple of weeks in Greenhithe College
Wheelsman in Pembroke. Belfast watched the world cup in the H&W social club. Nearly missed the ship. Long walk down the dock road to jetty no. 1
Guidesman - Short trip and then onto an outward bound course in Fort William. 10 days sailing an open cutter into force 7's around Tobermory
Bridgeman Capt. Andrews
Leadsman - AB jumped ship in Wisbech and we did 5hrs on 5hrs off and a heavy schedule of short hops and double tank cleaning in le Havre.

Joined the brand new Oilman in Hull fishdock. Spent the first week in a Berni Inn and tried to find a pub that didn't serve Bass.

(20 years later end up serving Bass to Taoiseach Bertie Ahern. He had a pint and I had a pint and I wished I hadn't. Nobody else drinks it in Ireland.)

Capt Williams a Welshman from Dundalk signed for the ship and his son joined later as 2nd I think. Only remember one other colleague. Andy Mifsud from Cardiff.

As has been mentioned in this thread it was very quick to discharge. in and out on one tide in St. Samson. C.I.

Spent Christmas 82 in the middle of the Shannon off Foynes. We arrived on Chritmas Eve and the boatmen had been in the pub for several hours and there was no chance they would leave it. Three days of looking at the lights of Limerick in the distance. Probably for the best.

Frank Craske was covering Christmas and delivered two bottles of booze to the mess for Christmas dinner. Watched Swan Lake and the Christmas Mass on the telly and drank.

Left soon after due to a television allergy! That was the end of my short career with Rowbothams all seen through rose coloured spectacles at this distance.

Can't remember taking a whole load of photos whilst at sea so I was pleased to find some in the gallery.

Cheers

Matt
Old 24th March 2009, 03:28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt Black View Post
Have found my discharge book and family have had a laugh at the photo.
Gravesend from November 81 to February 82 - U class
Joined the Pointsman in Harwich - William Miller. Great food! After Peanut rations in Gravesend to see a four course menu for lunch amazed me.
Cadets had been dispensed with so the old man filled the cadets cabin with beer. Happy ship!

Spent Christmas 82 in the middle of the Shannon off Foynes. We arrived on Chritmas Eve and the boatmen had been in the pub for several hours and there was no chance they would leave it. Three days of looking at the lights of Limerick in the distance. Probably for the best.

Matt
Well Matt, its all part of Fisher/Everards now.

We still get 4 courses. One for breakfast (cook it yourself at times), one for lunch, 2 for dinner. thats 4 isn't it?

I had xmas in Shannon about 10 years ago, the boatman made it, and very freindly all were too.

Sad to say Capt Millar died a few years back, his last ship was the steersman I think. You were well before my time but there are still a few old ones left. If you think of any names drop me a private email.

v1asco
Old 4th April 2009, 10:27

My location
Some more good names there....I wonder what became of Harry Williams, Noel's son??

There is one ex-class 5 I keep in touch with...Tim Kelly from Bridport, he did a lot of his training on the Tillerman with me.
Now works for Esso now and haven't seen him for a good few years, but we do exchange the odd email!

There were a few other class 5's I came across....Clive Spurrier (Clive the glove!) .. and one called Frank Belton.

I doubt if there are many of the old Rockies crowd still at sea now ....anyone??

Last edited by derekhore; 5th April 2009 at 08:15..
Old 4th April 2009, 11:11

My location
Hi Drerek,
Sailed as AB on the tankerman,Helmsman and Tillerman early 90's.Still at sea now mate with campbells.Remember Rodney on Tankerman who can forget him! lol. Also the Mate called dick ??? on the helmsman cockney lad who was into his wild west theme nights on leave!! always sailed with a good crowd and have many happy memories from my ime there.
Kev
Old 5th April 2009, 08:18

My location
Hi Kev

That would have been the 'new' Tillerman as the old 1000 tonner was sold on 24th Jan 1986 in Leith.

Don't know who that mate would have been, I left Rockies in July 1987, but it's good to know the 'friendship' of the Company carried on!
Old 17th April 2009, 21:31

Ian Shields is alive and kicking

Hi every one ask me a few questions about people alive or unfortunately now no longer with us, in the next few days I will answer a few questions that people have asked about.

Kind regards

Ian
Old 17th April 2009, 22:04

My location
Hi Ian

'Salems' are sent to you from Mike Cotton!!
Old 17th April 2009, 23:06

I was on Polarisman for years as C/Eng and when I left her , so she could go to the Caribbean she sailed off with Master J Browning and Redpath as C/Eng and was in excellent condition it was the blokes after me that turned it into a scrap heap.

Ian Shields
Old 17th April 2009, 23:10

Hi Kevin how are you

Hope you are keeping well.

regards

Ian Shields
Old 17th April 2009, 23:22

John Godwin is still alive and kicking,and lives in Poole
Regards
Ian Shields
Old 17th April 2009, 23:33

Malcolm Johnson is retired with a pension from Stolts after injuring himself very seriously in the E/R generator blew up, his wife asked for a divorce while he was in hospital almost on his deathbed.
Graham Westgarth is retired was a Director with Mearsk when he retired lives in Suffolk so I have been told
Regards Ian Shields
Old 18th April 2009, 02:18
Bilge Rat
Department: Engineering
Active: 1957 - 1963

My location
Anyone know of a chief engineer called Doug Hewitt (tiny)
Or A cook/steward called Joe Mercer. Now there was a character!
Or even my brother Jim Still. Oarsman, rudderman I think
Old 18th April 2009, 08:46

My location
Hi Ian

John Browning ended up with me on the Tillerman, round the East Coast until she was laid up in Leith and we handed her over to the Greeks.

He was supposedly put on her a master for a 'punishment' but loved every minute of it!!
We had a great time during lay-up, ashore every lunchtime!!

We travelled back to the West Country together, he left the train at Sherborne I think and I never saw him again!
Old 27th April 2009, 09:47

Quote:
Originally Posted by derekhore View Post
Hi Ian

John Browning ended up with me on the Tillerman, round the East Coast until she was laid up in Leith and we handed her over to the Greeks.

He was supposedly put on her a master for a 'punishment' but loved every minute of it!!
We had a great time during lay-up, ashore every lunchtime!!

We travelled back to the West Country together, he left the train at Sherborne I think and I never saw him again!
Hi Derek, sorry long in answering but been away, unfortunately John was killed in the Indian Ocean he was master of a container/ come general cargo ship ,and had been in severe weather and the cargo broke loose,John being John went down the hold and fell in between some containers, he had to stay there till they got the ship round and made for that american air base in the Indian ocean, went to the funeral when they got him home, a dear friend and a great loss, knew him from Bank Line days. Regards Ian
Old 1st May 2009, 12:36

My location
Hi Ian

Very, very sad to hear that about John Browning ... we got on great together and I have some good memories of trips up the road with him at various East Coast ports.

I will pass that info onto Mike Cotton when we next speak as he too has a keen interest in who is still remaining from the 'good' old days.

Regards.
Old 14th May 2009, 15:14

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
Graham Westgarth is retired was a Director with Mearsk when he retired lives in Suffolk so I have been told
Regards Ian Shields
Graham Westgarth, a very good friend of mine for many years, is president of Teekay Marine Services and was recently elected as a vice-chairman of Intertanko at the association's Tanker Event in Tokyo,............I would think there is at least 8 to 10 more years before Graham considers retirement.
Old 18th May 2009, 08:49
Department: Engineering

My location
I didn't work for Rowbothams but spent a lot of time on the Echoman and Tankerman trying to get the 12MB275 engines to work properly. Three Chief Engineers who I remember well are Dave Farmer (left to work in hospital maintenance), George Gardner (left but made a comeback later) and Kali Akhtar. All showed great forebearance even when things weren't going very well. There were others too, whose names escape me at this distance; a Second Engineer from the south west somewhere who was into lawnmower racing, for example.
I also recall the Superintendent Engineer, Eddie Neylon, one of the nicest people I ever met in any walk of life. He eventually left and got involved with subsea stuff, now retired and involved with the Beaulieu Light Railway. His boss, Fred Greyell, no longer with us, was a decent chap to work with too.

JKB, ex Mirrlees Blackstone Service Department.
Old 29th May 2009, 22:30

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by ianian View Post
Hi Derek, sorry long in answering but been away, unfortunately John was killed in the Indian Ocean he was master of a container/ come general cargo ship ,and had been in severe weather and the cargo broke loose,John being John went down the hold and fell in between some containers, he had to stay there till they got the ship round and made for that american air base in the Indian ocean, went to the funeral when they got him home, a dear friend and a great loss, knew him from Bank Line days. Regards Ian
hi Ian,
are you still around Ian (lol) i can remember you from my 2 years on the orionman ,
what you up these days ???
by the way my dad is still going and i will let him i have dropped you a line , and he is on here some where , only thing i can say they where good years on that ship

andy balderson
Old 7th July 2009, 05:22

Hi i was AB with Rowbotham,s for 10 years was on most of them man/gate boats last one Irishgate 97. Remember most of the names sorry some passed on. Had some good times with the company.