Ryde Queen - Ships Nostalgia
13:59

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Ryde Queen

User Tag List

Old 12th October 2016, 20:19

Lightbulb Ryde Queen

Hello shipmates

I wanted to talk about something different for a change but still fascinating and I just remembered an old ferry on the Isle of Wight called the Ryde Queen originally called the Ryde.

My Mum went on her when she was a disco boat (which I thought must have been fun!) and I saw her whilst on holiday this year, it was interesting and sad to see her in such a terrible state of neglect but I am pleased to have seen her. I took some pictures of her and I also found one showing her in better days in a shop which I bought it from, which I'll show you lot at some point.

So what do you think of her? You might have some memories that you might like to share with me.

Stay tuned...

Matthew
Old 12th October 2016, 21:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1964 - 2009

My location
Hi Mathew
I used to travel on the "Ryde" between Ryde & Portsmouth back in the 50s.
One of several Paddlers on that route before the diesels took over.
the "Ryde" in later life became a disco called the Ryde Queen. Taking over that role from the previous Disco, which was the paddler named "Medway Queen"
The suffix "Queen" was added to the Ryde when she became a disco. To relate her to the previous Medway Queen I assume.
The Medway Queen is currently in an advanced state of preservation, while the Ryde as you have seen in an advanced state of decomposition.
The Ryde was running in the old days of the Southern Railway - British Railways and Sealink.
I can't give any details other than that really, but there will be plenty of people on this site who can.
Old 12th October 2016, 21:25
Organisation: Maritime Enthusiast
Active: 1970 - 1987

Some information on this web site.

http://www.nationalhistoricships.org...ter/61/ps-ryde

Roy.
Old 11th December 2016, 21:12
Department: Deck
Active: 1956 - 2005

My location
I did a few days as mate in the 'Ryde' in 1967 when she was still doing relief work between Portsmouth and Ryde. Two Master and Mate pairs did all the work in her because she needed 'special expertise' and there was a lot of overtime involved. In her last year the overtime was drastically cut and she suddenly needed no particular knowledge and the rest of us took our turn. Interesting! A couple of years later I move to Lymington and included five years as Master of the DEPV 'Farringford' on my CV - not that I needed a CV because I stayed there until I retired thirty five years later.
Andy Lavies
Old 12th December 2016, 00:20
Active: 1959 - 1963

Spent the summer seasom June - October 1961 working on the IoW ferries including the Ryde.I was fireman and there were 2 or 3 coal fired paddle steamers at the time and the rest were diesel. Was happy to boast when I went back deep-sea that I had fired on a couple of coalburners. Enjoyed the pint of porter at the Ryde Pierhead bar and fishing for mackeral whilst at the coal hulk in Portsmouth Harbour. Did not enjoy the mascara-like eyes and the rim of black on white shirt collars when working up a sweat with the girlfriend in the evenings. No showers on board just a galvanised bucket.
Old 12th December 2016, 12:44

As a kid traveling on the RYDE, found it best not to stand on the deck to the rear of the funnel, you got covered with soot if you did

As for Medway Queen, seen here on the Medway near Chatham a couple of years ago
Attached Images
File Type: jpg MEDWAY QUEEN (1000x667).jpg (306.1 KB, 40 views)
Old 12th December 2016, 19:02
Department: Engineering
Active: 1961 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob S View Post
As for Medway Queen, seen here on the Medway near Chatham a couple of years ago
Not really. What you saw was a new hull built in Bristol a few years ago which has very few bits of the original in it.
Old 14th December 2016, 18:31

Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your posts on the Ryde, I found them fascinating to read!
Old 13th April 2017, 13:34

Quote:
Originally Posted by MatthewCox View Post
Hey everyone,

Thanks for all your posts on the Ryde, I found them fascinating to read!
https://www.storytrender.com/pride-o...g-left-to-rot/
Old 10th November 2017, 04:23

Ive never actually gone on her I just really like her design, Sad to see her abandoned and wrecked but as a Urban Explorer I would love to go to see her!, Wonder who owns her and why she is so burnt.
Old 16th May 2018, 22:11
Active: 1970 - 1976

My location
Ryde Queen restoration

The Isle of Wight County Press is reporting another attempt at preserving Ryde Queen. They will need all the assistance they can get as the old girl is in a sad condition.

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/16226766....addle_steamer/

Coop
Old 17th May 2018, 08:12
Active: 1961 - 2002

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coop View Post
The Isle of Wight County Press is reporting another attempt at preserving Ryde Queen. They will need all the assistance they can get as the old girl is in a sad condition.

http://www.iwcp.co.uk/news/16226766....addle_steamer/

Coop
The person involved was also involved with the debacle of TSS Dover that sank at itís moorings on the Tees. The article appears to suggest that the project failed due to a recent fire on board. The fact that the engine room had been under water for months and months appears not to have had any bearing on the failure!