P&Oports of call - Ships Nostalgia
23:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
Log in
User Name Password

P&Oports of call

User Tag List

Reply
 
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 30th January 2017, 03:58
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
P&Oports of call

Ok this is a question regarding p&o liners.
i have my discharge book with ships,voyage numbers and start and finish dates.are there any records anywhere i could get to and find ports of call wiith dates for each voyage as i cant remember back that far
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 30th January 2017, 16:26
Ron Stringer's Avatar
Ron Stringer Ron Stringer is offline
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Radio Officer
Active: 1960 - 1966
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
My location
Posts: 6,162
If all your voyages were pre-1975 then you can get the information from the Lloyds List Voyage Record Cards, held by the Museum Library of the London Guildhall. Give them the names (official numbers will help but are not essential) and the dates between which you are interested and they will email or post you photocopies of the appropriate cards.

There is no charge other than a small one for the cost of the photocopying and any postage involved.

[email protected]
__________________
Ron
_____________________________________________

Never regret growing older. It is a privilege denied to many. Don't worry about old age - it doesn't last.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 31st January 2017, 01:50
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Stringer View Post
If all your voyages were pre-1975 then you can get the information from the Lloyds List Voyage Record Cards, held by the Museum Library of the London Guildhall. Give them the names (official numbers will help but are not essential) and the dates between which you are interested and they will email or post you photocopies of the appropriate cards.

There is no charge other than a small one for the cost of the photocopying and any postage involved.

[email protected]
thank you for that its just what i needed
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 31st January 2017, 09:14
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,408
I have ports of call for Canberra from 1971 to 1973, some with dates, and Arcadia 1973 to 1975 again with dates when she became a full time cruise ship. I can look these ports of call up, but may take a while. For example, I have Postal Information given to crew of Canberra from 22nd August 1972 to 12th December 1972 with ports and dates for outward and homeward 'line voyages' and two cruises from Sydney plus much more such as logs of cruises possibly not found anywhere. I kept it all
__________________
David
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 1st February 2017, 01:55
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
I have ports of call for Canberra from 1971 to 1973, some with dates, and Arcadia 1973 to 1975 again with dates when she became a full time cruise ship. I can look these ports of call up, but may take a while. For example, I have Postal Information given to crew of Canberra from 22nd August 1972 to 12th December 1972 with ports and dates for outward and homeward 'line voyages' and two cruises from Sydney plus much more such as logs of cruises possibly not found anywhere. I kept it all
thanks for that.am in no rush but basically looking for ports of call for canberra for embarkation periods 17/5/72 till 11/8/72
and canberra from 20/8/72 and 12/12/72 including cruise ports of call.
i have another option to obtain oronsay info but the stuff you have on canberra would be great.the example you qoute for canberra starting aug72 is exactly what i need
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 1st February 2017, 07:34
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,408
Herky

I will have a look. I was certainly aboard during those dates.
__________________
David
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 1st February 2017, 07:36
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by herky View Post
thank you for that its just what i needed
thanks,got your email and replied
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 1st February 2017, 07:41
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
Herky

I will have a look. I was certainly aboard during those dates.
i was bell boy at time.this photo though is of me ringing in new year 1971 on board oronsay with staff catain john croyten who went on to captain spirit of london
Attached Images
File Type: jpg img0167.jpg (71.0 KB, 89 views)

Last edited by herky; 1st February 2017 at 07:48.. Reason: add ons
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 1st February 2017, 09:39
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,408
Herky

I have found all the dates you ask for. Med cruising from 19th May 1972 to 11th August 1972. All the ports during five cruises and the line voyage leaving Southampton on 22nd August to 12th December 1972 plus two cruises from Sydney and a Cruise to Nowhere, which was a disaster as you may remember.

It will take me a while to compile in between my Moderating duties, but I may sent it to you by PM rather than on the forum?
__________________
David
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 2nd February 2017, 01:22
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
Herky

I have found all the dates you ask for. Med cruising from 19th May 1972 to 11th August 1972. All the ports during five cruises and the line voyage leaving Southampton on 22nd August to 12th December 1972 plus two cruises from Sydney and a Cruise to Nowhere, which was a disaster as you may remember.

It will take me a while to compile in between my Moderating duties, but I may sent it to you by PM rather than on the forum?
that is brilliant thank you.no panic just whenever you can.i just need to do same exersise for the world trip i did on oronsay prior to joining canberra.pm is fine with me.
so if any readers can help me out with lkists of ports of call and dates for Oronsay from leaving southampton december 1971 and returning 30th march 1972 it would be great.

had a few memories i came up with over last couple of days.i recall doing a litle time steering the beastie as i was going to get steering ticket and also on a few ocasions was driving the boats when we were in boat port.not bad for a bell boy eh.worked most of time in telephone exchange and also chief stewards office

Last edited by herky; 2nd February 2017 at 01:53.. Reason: add on
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 2nd February 2017, 21:45
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
got a reply today from guildhall site in london who hold these records.they will provide info if i want it at a price
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 2nd February 2017, 22:10
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,408
Herky

I have started compiling Canberra Cruises 1972 from Southampton Cruises 458 460 462 465 and 467 from 19th May 1972 to 11th August 1972. I will list all the ports, dates and times of arrival and departure. I have got to Cruise 462 at present.

Once I have finished that, I will compile her line voyages leaving Southampton on 22nd August 1972 arriving back 12th December 1972. This will include two cruises from Sydney, and a Cruise to Nowhere. Again all ports arrival and departure, 25 in total not counting Sydney. And it will not cost you a penny!

I will even include shore excursions at Honiara. I bet the guildhall site in London does not have that?!

I will sent it to you as soon as I can.
__________________
David

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 2nd February 2017 at 22:13..
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 3rd February 2017, 05:35
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
Herky

I have started compiling Canberra Cruises 1972 from Southampton Cruises 458 460 462 465 and 467 from 19th May 1972 to 11th August 1972. I will list all the ports, dates and times of arrival and departure. I have got to Cruise 462 at present.

Once I have finished that, I will compile her line voyages leaving Southampton on 22nd August 1972 arriving back 12th December 1972. This will include two cruises from Sydney, and a Cruise to Nowhere. Again all ports arrival and departure, 25 in total not counting Sydney. And it will not cost you a penny!

I will even include shore excursions at Honiara. I bet the guildhall site in London does not have that?!

I will sent it to you as soon as I can.
thats great thank you.might have to go through them to getoronsay and northern star detailsI think i actually went on excursion in honiara as i have a photo of myself leaning against ww2 artillery piece

Last edited by herky; 3rd February 2017 at 06:16.. Reason: ADD ON
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:19
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,408
The last two regular 'line voyages' of Canberra for Herky.

However, I thought members would also be interested due to its nostalgic value. It took me a while to compile, so please forgive any mistakes. Canberra did a lot of world cruises when she became a full time cruise ship that could have been regarded as 'line voyages', but she was one class then. Her last regular 'line voyages' was First Class and Tourist.

Voyage 38 Canberra 1972

OUTWARD LINE VOYAGE

Depart Southampton late afternoon 22nd August 1972

Cherbourg arrive 0200 depart 1330 Wednesday 23rd August 1972

Port Everglades arrive 0800 depart 1800 Wednesday 30th August 1972

Nassau arrive 0700 depart 1700 Thursday 31st August 1972

Panama from 2359 Saturday 2nd September to 1800 3rd September 1972

Acapulco arrive 0800 at anchor depart 1800 Wednesday 6th September 1972

Los Angeles arrive 0800 depart 1900 Saturday 9th September 1972

San Francisco arrive 1400 Sunday 10th September 1971 depart 1600 Monday 11th September 1973

Vancouver arrive 0730 depart 2300Wednesday 13th September 1972

Honolulu arrive 0900 depart 2359 Monday 18th September 1972

Auckland arrive 0645 depart 2300 Tuesday 26th September 1972

Arrive Sydney 0700 Friday 29th September 1972

Cruises

Cruise to Nowhere leaving on Friday 29th September returning on 2nd October 1972 leaving the next day for a Pacific Cruise. The ship was vandalised in the Tourist section lifebuoys thrown overboard, glasses smashed, cigarette burns in lounge carpets, fire extinguishers set off, cricket bats and caps damaged in the Cricketers Bar and an autographed Test Match bat and cap missing
.

The Outward voyage is dates from the Postal Information leaflet given to crew. Cruises from Sydney did not include the three day Cruise to Nowhere so is different than the Postal Information given. We left Sydney on 3rd October for Honiara arriving Friday 6th October 1972. There were 13 excursions. Canberra anchored. The longest was Tour C, a day tour of Tambea Village Resort, Max 60 passengers at $A10.00 per person including lunch and entertainment, Myself and friends went for a walk, but it was very hot.

Due to the Postal Information changing, these were the ports we called at on that cruise, but possibly not in the order below.

Honiara
Yokohama
Kobe
Nagasaki
Hong Kong
Rabaul

We stayed in Yokohama, Kobe and Hong Kong for three days. In Hong Kong we had suits made to measure, and any other clothing, shoes the lot in three days coming to our cabins as well as the wonderful Chinese people setting up stalls on deck climbing aboard from their Junks. We bought boxer shorts, five pairs a pound before they were even heard of in the UK. I had my eyes tested in the Ocean Terminal, new glasses plus the best shave ever. Everything we needed was on the terminal, like a mini city. Wonderful Hong Kong. The ship also had a wash and brush up. At Yokohama I bought the latest music centre, not even in this country at the time at the Silk Centre near to the docks. Anyone remember that place?

HOMEWARD LINE VOYAGE

Departed Sydney at 1500 on 14th November 1972

Arrived Melbourne at 1700 on Wednesday 15th November 1972 leaving at 1300 on the 16th November 1972

Arrived at Fremantle at 0900 on Sunday 18th November 1972 leaving at 1600

Arrived Durban at 1700 on Sunday 26th November 1972 leaving at 1730 the next day



Arrived Cape Town at 0800 on Wednesday 29th November leaving at 1900 the same day.


Arrived at Funchal, Madeira at 1200 on Thursday 7th December 1972 leaving at 2359 the same day

Arrived at Lisbon at 0600 on Saturday 9th December 1972 leaving at 0700 the next day

Arrived at Southampton early morning on Tuesday 12th December 1972, her last regular 'line voyage'. I brought my ex wife back on her from Sydney.

Captain, Wally Vickers told us that Canberra had ceased to be a liner becoming a full time cruise ship. We did a Christmas Cruise to the Caribbean, but on return she became a one class ship heading for New York. I left her at that point to get married.
__________________
David

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 3rd February 2017 at 22:58..
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 3rd February 2017, 19:54
kewl dude's Avatar
kewl dude kewl dude is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,482
re: At Yokohama I bought the latest music centre, not even in the country at the Silk Centre near to the docks. Anyone remember that place?

First part of February 1968 I flew from San Francisco to Tokyo on Pan American. It was a fly-out job to replace an injured engineer. I signed on in Yokohama Feb. 8th. As I arrived there before the ship I stayed at the Silk Center Hotel - atop the Silk Center.

Attached three pictures scanned from a brochure I acquired there:

Silk-01E.jpg (196.9 KB)
Silk-13E.jpg (152.5 KB)
Yokohama_SilkCenterE.jpg (155.2 KB)

I have this brochure and a small aluminum ashtray I swiped imprinted in red around the rim Silk Hotel Yokohama

Greg Hayden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Silk-01E.jpg (196.9 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Silk-13E.jpg (152.5 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg Yokohama_SilkCenterE.jpg (155.2 KB, 16 views)
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 3rd February 2017, 20:58
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,408
Thanks Greg. Great memories
__________________
David
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:07
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by kewl dude View Post
re: At Yokohama I bought the latest music centre, not even in the country at the Silk Centre near to the docks. Anyone remember that place?

First part of February 1968 I flew from San Francisco to Tokyo on Pan American. It was a fly-out job to replace an injured engineer. I signed on in Yokohama Feb. 8th. As I arrived there before the ship I stayed at the Silk Center Hotel - atop the Silk Center.

Attached three pictures scanned from a brochure I acquired there:

Silk-01E.jpg (196.9 KB)
Silk-13E.jpg (152.5 KB)
Yokohama_SilkCenterE.jpg (155.2 KB)

I have this brochure and a small aluminum ashtray I swiped imprinted in red around the rim Silk Hotel Yokohama

Greg Hayden
thanks for that.i remember the rabaul stop well.i left canberra on her return to southampton and later flew out to hamburg to join wild auk.sailed to florida and got caught up in dockers strike there but thats a whole other story
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 3rd February 2017, 21:23
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,408
Regarding Rabaul we used to fill our water tanks from an old submarine. We anchored, so no other way to fill the tanks. I wonder if our wonderful members have more information on that?
__________________
David
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:40
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
The last two regular 'line voyages' of Canberra for Herky.

However, I thought members would also be interested due to its nostalgic value. It took me a while to compile, so please forgive any mistakes. Canberra did a lot of world cruises when she became a full time cruise ship that could have been regarded as 'line voyages', but she was one class then. Her last regular 'line voyages' was First Class and Tourist.

Voyage 38 Canberra 1972

OUTWARD LINE VOYAGE

Depart Southampton late afternoon 22nd August 1972

Cherbourg arrive 0200 depart 1330 Wednesday 23rd August 1972

Port Everglades arrive 0800 depart 1800 Wednesday 30th August 1972

Nassau arrive 0700 depart 1700 Thursday 31st August 1972

Panama from 2359 Saturday 2nd September to 1800 3rd September 1972

Acapulco arrive 0800 at anchor depart 1800 Wednesday 6th September 1972

Los Angeles arrive 0800 depart 1900 Saturday 9th September 1972

San Francisco arrive 1400 Sunday 10th September 1971 depart 1600 Monday 11th September 1973

Vancouver arrive 0730 depart 2300Wednesday 13th September 1972

Honolulu arrive 0900 depart 2359 Monday 18th September 1972

Auckland arrive 0645 depart 2300 Tuesday 26th September 1972

Arrive Sydney 0700 Friday 29th September 1972

Cruises

Cruise to Nowhere leaving on Friday 29th September returning on 2nd October 1972 leaving the next day for a Pacific Cruise. The ship was vandalised in the Tourist section lifebuoys thrown overboard, glasses smashed, cigarette burns in lounge carpets, fire extinguishers set off, cricket bats and caps damaged in the Cricketers Bar and an autographed Test Match bat and cap missing
.

The Outward voyage is dates from the Postal Information leaflet given to crew. Cruises from Sydney did not include the three day Cruise to Nowhere so is different than the Postal Information given. We left Sydney on 3rd October for Honiara arriving Friday 6th October 1972. There were 13 excursions. Canberra anchored. The longest was Tour C, a day tour of Tambea Village Resort, Max 60 passengers at $A10.00 per person including lunch and entertainment, Myself and friends went for a walk, but it was very hot.

Due to the Postal Information changing, these were the ports we called at on that cruise, but possibly not in the order below.

Honiara
Yokohama
Kobe
Nagasaki
Hong Kong
Rabaul

We stayed in Yokohama, Kobe and Hong Kong for three days. In Hong Kong we had suits made to measure, and any other clothing, shoes the lot in three days coming to our cabins as well as the wonderful Chinese people setting up stalls on deck climbing aboard from their Junks. We bought boxer shorts, five pairs a pound before they were even heard of in the UK. I had my eyes tested in the Ocean Terminal, new glasses plus the best shave ever. Everything we needed was on the terminal, like a mini city. Wonderful Hong Kong. The ship also had a wash and brush up. At Yokohama I bought the latest music centre, not even in this country at the time at the Silk Centre near to the docks. Anyone remember that place?

HOMEWARD LINE VOYAGE

Departed Sydney at 1500 on 14th November 1972

Arrived Melbourne at 1700 on Wednesday 15th November 1972 leaving at 1300 on the 16th November 1972

Arrived at Fremantle at 0900 on Sunday 18th November 1972 leaving at 1600

Arrived Durban at 1700 on Sunday 26th November 1972 leaving at 1730 the next day



Arrived Cape Town at 0800 on Wednesday 29th November leaving at 1900 the same day.


Arrived at Funchal, Madeira at 1200 on Thursday 7th December 1972 leaving at 2359 the same day

Arrived at Lisbon at 0600 on Saturday 9th December 1972 leaving at 0700 the next day

Arrived at Southampton early morning on Tuesday 12th December 1972, her last regular 'line voyage'. I brought my ex wife back on her from Sydney.

Captain, Wally Vickers told us that Canberra had ceased to be a liner becoming a full time cruise ship. We did a Christmas Cruise to the Caribbean, but on return she became a one class ship heading for New York. I left her at that point to get married.
ok do i get a prize for spotting your ''Deliberate error''?
Think we might have left southampton 22nd august not 2nd unless it took us to 21 days to get to cherbourg,great work on your part putting all this together for us with fading memories

Last edited by Pompeyfan; 3rd February 2017 at 22:49.. Reason: Correct date
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 3rd February 2017, 22:47
Pompeyfan's Avatar
Super Moderator
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Posts: 26,408
You are quite right, it was the 22nd August 1972. I checked it all, but still missed it

I have put it right
__________________
David
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 3rd February 2017, 23:12
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
You are quite right, it was the 22nd August 1972. I checked it all, but still missed it

I have put it right
only spotted it when i compared it to cruise details and then the follow on to voyage.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 3rd February 2017, 23:39
kewl dude's Avatar
kewl dude kewl dude is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Other Merchant Fleets
Department: Engineering
Active: 1960 - 1976
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 1,482
Silk Center Brochure

I had the whole brochure already scanned but I had saved them in a high resolution. So I chose these ten from the 18 pages and scaled them down. The rest are black and white advertisements of specific items for sale at silk center stores.

Attached:

Page-1E.jpg (151.9 KB)
Page-2E.jpg (151.5 KB)
Page-3E.jpg (148.4 KB)
Page-4E.jpg (161.8 KB)
Page-5E.jpg (156.3 KB)

Greg Hayden
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Page-1E.jpg (151.9 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg Page-2E.jpg (151.5 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Page-3E.jpg (148.4 KB, 8 views)
File Type: jpg Page-4E.jpg (161.8 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpg Page-5E.jpg (156.3 KB, 12 views)
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 4th February 2017, 03:11
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pompeyfan View Post
The last two regular 'line voyages' of Canberra for Herky.

However, I thought members would also be interested due to its nostalgic value. It took me a while to compile, so please forgive any mistakes. Canberra did a lot of world cruises when she became a full time cruise ship that could have been regarded as 'line voyages', but she was one class then. Her last regular 'line voyages' was First Class and Tourist.

Voyage 38 Canberra 1972

OUTWARD LINE VOYAGE

Depart Southampton late afternoon 22nd August 1972

Cherbourg arrive 0200 depart 1330 Wednesday 23rd August 1972

Port Everglades arrive 0800 depart 1800 Wednesday 30th August 1972

Nassau arrive 0700 depart 1700 Thursday 31st August 1972

Panama from 2359 Saturday 2nd September to 1800 3rd September 1972

Acapulco arrive 0800 at anchor depart 1800 Wednesday 6th September 1972

Los Angeles arrive 0800 depart 1900 Saturday 9th September 1972

San Francisco arrive 1400 Sunday 10th September 1971 depart 1600 Monday 11th September 1973

Vancouver arrive 0730 depart 2300Wednesday 13th September 1972

Honolulu arrive 0900 depart 2359 Monday 18th September 1972

Auckland arrive 0645 depart 2300 Tuesday 26th September 1972

Arrive Sydney 0700 Friday 29th September 1972

Cruises

Cruise to Nowhere leaving on Friday 29th September returning on 2nd October 1972 leaving the next day for a Pacific Cruise. The ship was vandalised in the Tourist section lifebuoys thrown overboard, glasses smashed, cigarette burns in lounge carpets, fire extinguishers set off, cricket bats and caps damaged in the Cricketers Bar and an autographed Test Match bat and cap missing
.

The Outward voyage is dates from the Postal Information leaflet given to crew. Cruises from Sydney did not include the three day Cruise to Nowhere so is different than the Postal Information given. We left Sydney on 3rd October for Honiara arriving Friday 6th October 1972. There were 13 excursions. Canberra anchored. The longest was Tour C, a day tour of Tambea Village Resort, Max 60 passengers at $A10.00 per person including lunch and entertainment, Myself and friends went for a walk, but it was very hot.

Due to the Postal Information changing, these were the ports we called at on that cruise, but possibly not in the order below.

Honiara
Yokohama
Kobe
Nagasaki
Hong Kong
Rabaul

We stayed in Yokohama, Kobe and Hong Kong for three days. In Hong Kong we had suits made to measure, and any other clothing, shoes the lot in three days coming to our cabins as well as the wonderful Chinese people setting up stalls on deck climbing aboard from their Junks. We bought boxer shorts, five pairs a pound before they were even heard of in the UK. I had my eyes tested in the Ocean Terminal, new glasses plus the best shave ever. Everything we needed was on the terminal, like a mini city. Wonderful Hong Kong. The ship also had a wash and brush up. At Yokohama I bought the latest music centre, not even in this country at the time at the Silk Centre near to the docks. Anyone remember that place?

HOMEWARD LINE VOYAGE

Departed Sydney at 1500 on 14th November 1972

Arrived Melbourne at 1700 on Wednesday 15th November 1972 leaving at 1300 on the 16th November 1972

Arrived at Fremantle at 0900 on Sunday 18th November 1972 leaving at 1600

Arrived Durban at 1700 on Sunday 26th November 1972 leaving at 1730 the next day



Arrived Cape Town at 0800 on Wednesday 29th November leaving at 1900 the same day.


Arrived at Funchal, Madeira at 1200 on Thursday 7th December 1972 leaving at 2359 the same day

Arrived at Lisbon at 0600 on Saturday 9th December 1972 leaving at 0700 the next day

Arrived at Southampton early morning on Tuesday 12th December 1972, her last regular 'line voyage'. I brought my ex wife back on her from Sydney.

Captain, Wally Vickers told us that Canberra had ceased to be a liner becoming a full time cruise ship. We did a Christmas Cruise to the Caribbean, but on return she became a one class ship heading for New York. I left her at that point to get married.
i never realised till today that i had been to melbourne.must have slept through it
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 4th February 2017, 08:34
dave beaumont dave beaumont is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
My location
Posts: 1,563
My old shipmate did the world cruise on Oronsay you were on hesky. His name was Stuart Hunter and he would have been a deck boy.Picture of him in my gallery. Trying to find his old emails as i am sure he told me the ports on that trip. Will keep looking.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 4th February 2017, 19:11
herky herky is offline  
Senior Member
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1971 - 1975
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
My location
Posts: 133
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave beaumont View Post
My old shipmate did the world cruise on Oronsay you were on hesky. His name was Stuart Hunter and he would have been a deck boy.Picture of him in my gallery. Trying to find his old emails as i am sure he told me the ports on that trip. Will keep looking.
would be great if you could.just need a list of ports of call.need not be as detailed as the one dave kindly provided for canberra

Last edited by herky; 4th February 2017 at 19:11.. Reason: error
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Call centre phone call woodend Computers and The Internet 23 5th January 2015 00:41



Support SN


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
User Alert System provided by Advanced User Tagging v3.1.0 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.
vBulletin Security provided by vBSecurity v2.2.2 (Pro) - vBulletin Mods & Addons Copyright © 2019 DragonByte Technologies Ltd.