Identification requested. - Ships Nostalgia
13:29

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Identification requested.

User Tag List

Old 24th December 2017, 00:35

Identification requested.

No.1.jpg

No.2.jpgHave recently acquired a DVD entitled "Ship Shape and Bristol Fashion" Volume 1. Like most scenes from the past in such DVDs, there is always something that catches the eye - in this case it was an 8-second sequence of a sling of meat being discharged from the hold for'd of the bridge of a vessel, with the surprise being that as the sling proceeded ashore, there appeared a funnel in Port Line (or maybe Cunard?) livery!!
The arrangement of wheelhouse windows isn't familiar as being that of any Port Line vessel I know, the funnel is tall and slim, could be a steamer's funnel, or maybe one of Port Line's 1925/1928 series of motorships. But, and the "but" is a big one (!), there is no evidence of a bridge wing cab - an item which most of the older Port Line vessels had. Can anyone identify the vessel from the two attached images, snapped during a play of the DVD?
Mike Triplett - Port Line 1959-1967.
Old 24th December 2017, 00:56

Hi Mike,

The funnel certainly looks right for the early Port Line motorships you mention, but they had a hatch between bridge and funnel, which there does not appear to be here. That makes me wonder if it could be one of the early 1920s steamers which had a composite superstructure and a lifeboat below the bridge. There is what could be a davit in the pic.

But as you point out, as far as I know all those ships had bridge cabs and much narrower wheelhouses. Certainly the derrick colour is right for Port Line, too.

Maybe someone else can provide a better explanation.

Meantime, have a great Christmas.

Robin
Old 24th December 2017, 01:26

G'day Robin -

Thanks for your quick input - I should have said also that the scenes in the DVD are said to be the 1950s. It certainly looks as if there is no hatch between the bridge house and funnel, I agree, but even the early 1920s steamers with the composite superstructure arrangement had wing cabs!! Do the two rings on the funnel appear to be painted on, rather than having been attached - which makes me wonder if she is maybe a charter vessel?

Season's greetings to you and yours also.

Mike.
Old 25th December 2017, 08:20

Quote:
Originally Posted by EMMESSTEE View Post
Attachment 178113

Attachment 178121Have recently acquired a DVD entitled "Ship Shape and Bristol Fashion" Volume 1. Like most scenes from the past in such DVDs, there is always something that catches the eye - in this case it was an 8-second sequence of a sling of meat being discharged from the hold for'd of the bridge of a vessel, with the surprise being that as the sling proceeded ashore, there appeared a funnel in Port Line (or maybe Cunard?) livery!!
The arrangement of wheelhouse windows isn't familiar as being that of any Port Line vessel I know, the funnel is tall and slim, could be a steamer's funnel, or maybe one of Port Line's 1925/1928 series of motorships. But, and the "but" is a big one (!), there is no evidence of a bridge wing cab - an item which most of the older Port Line vessels had. Can anyone identify the vessel from the two attached images, snapped during a play of the DVD?
Mike Triplett - Port Line 1959-1967.
I think this is the last voyage of the PORT CAMPBELL b/u Briton Ferry 1953. It looks like the two bridge wing caps have been moved in board to either side of the wheel house.
Old 25th December 2017, 09:02

Could be this one. But there are others very similar >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (89.1 KB, 108 views)

Last edited by cueball44; 25th December 2017 at 10:24..
Old 25th December 2017, 11:23

Many thanks A.D.FROST and cueball 44 for your comments. The more I look at both photos, the more I think it could be one of the early 1920's steamers without a hatch for'd of the funnel, such as PORT CAMPBELL or, considering possible camera angle effect, etc., that it could be the likes of one of the PORT DUNEDIN class with a hatch for'd of the funnel. I just wish we could lay our hands on a dated photo of the CAMPBELL - I can't imagine why her wing cabs might have been moved/removed .... but who knows?

Mike.
Old 25th December 2017, 12:03

Here are a pair of photos of PORT CAMPBELL.

All of the features of the ship, apart from the moved wing cabs, clear show as CAMPBELL.... or a sistership.

I am still searching!

Stephen
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PORTCAMPBELL a..jpg (240.2 KB, 57 views)
File Type: jpg PORT CAMPBELL b..jpg (81.3 KB, 67 views)
Old 25th December 2017, 15:59

Just a theory if she was put on the MANZ run she would have been altered for any over hangs to transit the locks.
Old 25th December 2017, 21:36

Thanks for the two images Stephen, indeed could be the CAMPBELL or a sistership and I believe we're going to go down to wheelhouse window shape and even funnel whistle arrangement to identify her finally .... if we ever do!!

The MANZ Line trade didn't take Port Line vessels beyond Montreal - wing cabs weren't extensions to the bridge wings and didn't extend beyond the line of the vessel's hull, thus there was no "over-hang" component, as can be seen in Stephen's second image.

Mike.
Old 25th December 2017, 21:50

Did you see this image on your DVD ?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (45.2 KB, 74 views)
Old 25th December 2017, 22:22

Mike,

I went through about 200 Port Lines photos. Several show the CAMPBELL and the several that are in the same class. There are another class that are similar, but those, like the PORT DUNEDIN are not in same as the CAMPBELL. Unless you can come up with photos showing the vessels at the end of their lives, it will be a brick wall. :-(

Stephen
Old 25th December 2017, 22:38

Thanks again for your interest Stephen - you have 200 photos of Port Line vessels, how marvellous!! And yes, cueball44, your image is in the DVD - PORT PIRIE is actually in the scene on the DVD itself, do you have it?

Mike.
Old 25th December 2017, 22:54

I watched it on YouTube. But it doesn't show the full video. So I could not view the part with the mystery ship. Apparently it was taken in Bristol Docks.
Old 25th December 2017, 23:42

Quote:
Originally Posted by cueball44 View Post
I watched it on YouTube. But it doesn't show the full video. So I could not view the part with the mystery ship. Apparently it was taken in Bristol Docks.

How interesting that you found the DVD on YouTube. Your photo and the mystery ship are actually in Avonmouth, rather than in Bristol Docks.

Mike.
Old 26th December 2017, 08:51

Quote:
How interesting that you found the DVD on YouTube. Your photo and the mystery ship are actually in Avonmouth, rather than in Bristol Docks.

Mike.
Avonmouth correct. It was just that I knew it was in the Bristol area. Stephen j card mentioning Briton Ferry confused me. It seems these vessels were constantly changing the shape of there wheelhouses (bridge layout). So unless you can show more of the ship I think you are flogging a dead horse. I also have scanned all the motor ships of that type but can't pin it down.
Old 26th December 2017, 09:55

Quote:
Avonmouth correct. It was just that I knew it was in the Bristol area. Stephen j card mentioning Briton Ferry confused me. It seems these vessels were constantly changing the shape of there wheelhouses (bridge layout). So unless you can show more of the ship I think you are flogging a dead horse. I also have scanned all the motor ships of that type but can't pin it down.
I don't believe you are at all correct in saying that it seems these vessels were constantly changing the shape of their wheelhouses (bridge layout). I can show no more of the vessel than is in the DVD and recorded in the images I posted - but if you say you've scanned all the Port Line motor ships (and presumably the steamships also??) of the era, you will have seen wing cabs on all of them. If you've found an image of one without wing cabs, then please post the photo - will be most interested to see it!!

Mike.
Old 26th December 2017, 10:49

Quote:
Thanks again for your interest Stephen - you have 200 photos of Port Line vessels, how marvellous!! And yes, cueball44, your image is in the DVD - PORT PIRIE is actually in the scene on the DVD itself, do you have it?

Mike.

Sorry, I don't 'have' a collection of 200 photos, but I do have more on a 'memory stick' that came from 'ShipPhotos'. That site has now closed down, but the owner was kind enough to send the whole collection. It is a perfect research tool. Makes a great way to start. No information on the photos, no dates, just the ship name and photo. There are some 350,000 images in the collection. Going through the Port Line photos some make you drool and some are stunners... in glorious colour too!

Back to CAMPBELL. I believe there are about ten ships in that class. There is a another class and quite similar. The feature that are easy to spot eg CAMPBELL v DUNEDIN is the lifeboat just below the bridge wing. The CAMPBELL class did have a boat in that position, DUNEDIN class (type) didn't have the boat.

The removal of the cab wing looks very 'home made' job. Looks as if the cab was removed and the windows were just fitted next to the wheelhouse. Looks like the Chippy made it for the Mate!

Stephen
Old 26th December 2017, 10:52

[QUOTE=cueball44;2738529]Avonmouth correct. It was just that I knew it was in the Bristol area. Stephen j card mentioning Briton Ferry confused me. QUOTE]

A.D. Frost mentioned Briton Ferry... just that the CAMPBELL was broken up there. Quite possible this was near at the end of her life.

Still work to do. ;-)

Stephen
Old 26th December 2017, 11:08

[quote=Stephen J. Card;2738721]
Quote:
Avonmouth correct. It was just that I knew it was in the Bristol area. Stephen j card mentioning Briton Ferry confused me. QUOTE]

A.D. Frost mentioned Briton Ferry... just that the CAMPBELL was broken up there. Quite possible this was near at the end of her life.

Still work to do. ;-)

Stephen
Yes A. D. Frost it was. Sorry SJC.
Old 26th December 2017, 11:51

My thanks to you all for your responses - have appreciated your inputs. Have now submitted the matter to the website of "Vintage Port" - the reunion association of ex-employees of Port Line, to see what might transpire from that source .... will advise of anything that comes to hand.

Mike.
Old 26th December 2017, 15:01
callpor callpor is offline   SN Supporter
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - Present

My location
Mike,
Something of interest for Boxing Day before driving 2 hours to Bordeaux Airport to put son & partner on LGW flight!
Be interested to hear if Vintage Port can identify the ship. Been through my photo collection and all Port Line books but failed add to anything already, stated which seems to indicate that the Port Campbell (1922- 1953) or sister ship is the favorite?

Cheers. Chris Allport
Old 26th December 2017, 15:18

Does anyone have the list of ship in the same class as the CAMPBELL? There are several and some of those were war losses. Should narrow the list.

Time to get out the Duncan Hawes books!

Stephen
Old 26th December 2017, 17:07

Some info here >
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Untitled.jpg (176.5 KB, 35 views)
Old 26th December 2017, 17:15

So, narrows to CAROLINE, CAMPBELL or ADELAIDE.

I'll now looking for these three for funny windows.
Old 26th December 2017, 23:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stephen J. Card View Post
So, narrows to CAROLINE, CAMPBELL or ADELAIDE.

I'll now looking for these three for funny windows.
PORT CAROLINE (1919) went to the breakers in 1950; PORT ADELAIDE (1919) went to the breakers in 1949 - both had wing cabs. Have been in touch with a colleague, through "Vintage Port", who was an apprentice in the PORT CAMPBELL in 1952 and he says that she had bridge wing cabs then!!

Mike.