P-boat de-passengerisation - Ships Nostalgia
18:19

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

P-boat de-passengerisation

User Tag List

Old 23rd January 2018, 22:36
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1964 - 1974

My location
P-boat de-passengerisation

Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me the date that the Peleus accommodation was converted from passenger to officers and engineers.
I know it was converted for the benefit of Princess Chichibu, the Japanese princess, who was launching one of the companies ships, and we cruised through the Inland Sea.
I was catering-boy in the Peleus at the time but can't remember the exact trip, but would have been late 1965 or early 1966.
I'm trying to write a book about my time at sea before alzheimers sets in.
Doubt if I will ever publish it, but it's mainly for my own benefit, as research and writing have brought back some fantastic memories, so worthwhile just from that aspect.
Any assistance with this query would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Phil
Old 24th January 2018, 14:23

hi phil .sorry too late for me me .I was on her for 2 trips1955/56 lovely ship inland sea was not polluted then .japan was was just getting out of the US command.pity I never found alladins lamp.know were I would be .cheers
Old 24th January 2018, 19:20

Hi Phil, as far as I can remember it was around 1966/67 that Holts started to do away with the passenger trade to the Far East.
The last 'P' boat I was in was Pyrrhus in 1964. I was in the Peleus twice, 1959 and 1960. great ships.
You might want to have a look at this website for further info about the 'P' class;
http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/blue_funne...ts/p_boats.htm

Best regards,
Pat

Last edited by Pat Kennedy; 24th January 2018 at 20:07..
Old 24th January 2018, 20:04

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Hi Phil, as far as I can remember it was around 1966/67 that Holts started to do away with the passeger trade to the Far East.
The last 'P' boat I was in was Pyrrhus in 1964. I was in the Peleus twice, 1959 and 1960. great ships.
You might want to have a look at this website for further info about the 'P' class;
http://www.rhiw.com/y_mor/blue_funne...ts/p_boats.htm

Best regards,
Pat
Thanks Pat and Tony.
I will check this site out
Appreciate your assistance Pat.

Regards Phil
Old 25th January 2018, 12:20

Hi Phil, my last trip with blue flu was the Perseus June 1966. She was still carrying passengers. Regards Peter.
Old 25th January 2018, 15:41

I also did 2 trips on the pyrrhus .which had a nick name "the rock and roll pyrrhus"as we had a greatband on board.did spot for BBC north tv and won a big contest at a theatre in Birkenhead 1957 Liverpool echo printed it ,inits looking back series .I will try to get a photo if my son can help me .as pat said great boats .loved all of them ..tony
Old 25th January 2018, 19:48

Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAllen View Post
I also did 2 trips on the pyrrhus .which had a nick name "the rock and roll pyrrhus"as we had a greatband on board.did spot for BBC north tv and won a big contest at a theatre in Birkenhead 1957 Liverpool echo printed it ,inits looking back series .I will try to get a photo if my son can help me .as pat said great boats .loved all of them ..tony
Tony, I did a run job on the Pyrrhus up to North Shields for repairs after she had been on fire in Huskisson Dock 1964.
The accommodation was gutted, I would be surprised if they reinstated all the passenger accommodation after that.
Pat
Old 25th January 2018, 19:55

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by PETER WHARTON View Post
Hi Phil, my last trip with blue flu was the Perseus June 1966. She was still carrying passengers. Regards Peter.
Hi Peter,

I left the Peleus in August 1966 and we definitely had not carried passengers for the previous couple of trips so passengers must have gradually been phased out over that period.
I always thought the four P-boats were de-passengerised at the same time but obviously not.
Thanks for that.
Regards Phil
Old 25th January 2018, 20:55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Saul View Post
Hi Peter,

I left the Peleus in August 1966 and we definitely had not carried passengers for the previous couple of trips so passengers must have gradually been phased out over that period.
I always thought the four P-boats were de-passengerised at the same time but obviously not.
Thanks for that.
Regards Phil
Phil .then who had the passengers cabins ?I had a shared cabin on every trip.catering .galley
Old 25th January 2018, 21:30

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyAllen View Post
Phil .then who had the passengers cabins ?I had a shared cabin on every trip.catering .galley
Hi Tony,
The passenger accommodation was allocated to the mates, engineers, Ch Steward, etc.
They were given larger cabins so that some of them could take their wives away with them, which was beginning to happen a lot in the mid-sixties.
Crew accommodation was all single berth cabins after the re-fit.

Pat, I had forgotten about the Pyrrhus burning out, so she must have been the first of the P-boats to do away with passengers in '64.
I did three trips in her 68/69, but for the life of me I cannot re-call the accommodation layout, which I should be able to do.
The trouble with working in two identical ships is that I keep confusing things from one trip in one ship with another trip in the other ship.
Alzheimers is setting in !!

Regards Phil
Old 26th January 2018, 09:43

I remember on the Ixion 1970/1971,
the pax cabins had been allocated to the P.O.s (Bosun, Chippy, 2nd Stwd etc)
Old 26th January 2018, 13:57
Department: Engineering
Active: 1979 - 1998

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by R651400 View Post
The first Japanese launch and if I'm not mistaken post-war BF and GL build outside the UK was super P (Priam) class "Glenalmond" by Mitsubishi-HI Nagasaki in September 66..
Maybe the Glenlyon class was before?

I was on Phrontis, ex-Pembrokeshire. It's curious, I only sailed on MHI ships! In the 80's, passengers were carried in the "Owner's Cabin" - on the 77 M's this was a double cabin at the rear of the accom with black out curtains around the beds.
Rgds.
Dave
Old 26th January 2018, 20:13

My location
Red face

Quote:
The first Japanese launch and if I'm not mistaken post-war BF and GL build outside the UK was super P (Priam) class "Glenalmond" by Mitsubishi-HI Nagasaki in September 66..
This launch of one of the companies ships by Princess Chichibu was definitely prior to September '66
I left the Peleus in August '66 and the launch was a couple of trips previous.
Have a feeling it may have been one of the bulkers that Holts were getting into at that time but may be wrong, but definitely not one of the Super-Ps.
I can remember that the princess went by launch to visit some sacred island in the Inland Sea and couldn't get back due to rough weather and we had to steam to another point to pick her up.
just wish that I had been paying more attention to what was going on around me.

Regards Phil
Old 26th January 2018, 20:29

Quote:
This launch of one of the companies ships by Princess Chichibu was definitely prior to September '66
I left the Peleus in August '66 and the launch was a couple of trips previous.
Have a feeling it may have been one of the bulkers that Holts were getting into at that time but may be wrong, but definitely not one of the Super-Ps.
I can remember that the princess went by launch to visit some sacred island in the Inland Sea and couldn't get back due to rough weather and we had to steam to another point to pick her up.
just wish that I had been paying more attention to what was going on around me.

Regards Phil
Hi Phil, The Japanese built bulkers you mention were all built around 1972/3 ( Ajax, Antenor, Agamemnon, Achilles and Anchises, plus the big OBO, Tantalus.)
Apart from the Super P class I don't think Holts had any earlier Japanese built ships.
regards,
Pat
Old 26th January 2018, 22:19

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Kennedy View Post
Hi Phil, The Japanese built bulkers you mention were all built around 1972/3 ( Ajax, Antenor, Agamemnon, Achilles and Anchises, plus the big OBO, Tantalus.)
Apart from the Super P class I don't think Holts had any earlier Japanese built ships.
regards,
Pat
Hi Pat,

Must have been one of the Super-Ps or Glen boats then.
I thought it would be easy to verify and have tried shipping sites and google but had no luck.
I know it was winter time as when we boy ratings were waiting on the wharf to take the princesses baggage aboard, it was freezing.
Times like these I wish I had kept a diary.
On second thoughts it would have had to have been heavily redacted in case my Mum found it so I suppose not. Lol

Regards Phil
Old 26th January 2018, 22:55

My location
Quote:
After a bit more research, it appears that the ship launched was the Glenalmond.
She came into service in September 1966 so must have been launched a bit before this for fitting out, which seems to fit with the time scale.
Not sure how long they would take to fit out but 8 to 10 months would take it back to late '65, early '66.
No shipping site I have tried gives a launch date, only a build date and not sure these are one and the same thing.
Build date seems to imply completion date.
Maybe some-one can confirm that.

Regards Phil
Old 3rd March 2018, 15:20

Alan Clark 5th engineer SS Peleus

I did 4 trips on the PELEUS and i was on the trip when we took Princess Chichibu on a 3 day trip around the inland sea .Roger Scott was C/E ,'Fadge' Johnson 2nd,Gerry Gerrard 3rd cannot remember who was 4th ,but I think it was a Motorman from Sunderland call Don Mclean getting his steam time in.Its quite correct that we lost the princess and a Japanese Navy mtb picked her up and brought her
back.
I remember we painted ship in Hong Kong and had numerous dignitaries aboard .I remember the crew covering the holes in the vents with brown paper and painting them white .We had to wear number ten uniforms to meet the princess and some of the senior officers had never worn them since their apprenticeships and the fits were not very good
Old 19th September 2018, 21:23
Department: Deck

Quote:
Hi Guys,

Can anyone tell me the date that the Peleus accommodation was converted from passenger to officers and engineers.
I know it was converted for the benefit of Princess Chichibu, the Japanese princess, who was launching one of the companies ships, and we cruised through the Inland Sea.
I was catering-boy in the Peleus at the time but can't remember the exact trip, but would have been late 1965 or early 1966.
I'm trying to write a book about my time at sea before alzheimers sets in.
Doubt if I will ever publish it, but it's mainly for my own benefit, as research and writing have brought back some fantastic memories, so worthwhile just from that aspect.
Any assistance with this query would be greatly appreciated.

Regards Phil
I would say the Peleus was de-passengerised in mid/late 65. Bronco Lane or Collett would have been Master. I sailed in all the Ps but at a much earlier date.
Old 19th September 2018, 22:14

My location
Quote:
Originally Posted by Autolycus View Post
I would say the Peleus was de-passengerised in mid/late 65. Bronco Lane or Collett would have been Master. I sailed in all the Ps but at a much earlier date.
Collett was Master at the time and Bronco Lane was Master when I joined her in'64.

Regards Phil