Port Alfred - Page 3 - Ships Nostalgia
06:09

Welcome
Welcome!Welcome to Ships Nostalgia, the world's greatest online community for people worldwide with an interest in ships and shipping. Whether you are crew, ex-crew, ship enthusiasts or cruisers, this is the forum for you. And what's more, it's completely FREE.

Click here to go to the forums home page and find out more.
Click here to join.
User Name Password

Port Alfred

User Tag List

Old 21st March 2013, 21:20
Organisation: Merchant Navy
Department: Engineering
Active: 1974 - Present

Regarding the passenger accommodation - on Matangi (Port St Lawrence) it was kept unused and immaculate, even to the extent that 3rds wife, Sue Smart (Johns missis) was only allowed to use one cabin bathroom but not to leave any of her stuff in it. They were not allowed to move into a passenger cabin, even tho it was along the alleyway. Passenger lounge only used for pub lunch and movie night on Saturday. That was 1979-1980 when I was junior eng.

Dan.
Old 25th May 2013, 04:31

Smile port alfred

I was wondering if any of the Alfred sailers remember being in port at new Plymouth new Zealand in the early seventies. when there was a visit on board from a class of school children who had a tour of the ship ending up in the dining room with ice creams all round?
Old 19th July 2013, 18:43

My location
When I was on the Port Alfred Jan-June 1967 this was one of the deck boys. Anyone remember who he was?

Jeff
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Port Alfred,Who is this '67..jpg (70.2 KB, 91 views)
Old 28th July 2013, 13:20
Department: Hotels / Catering
Active: 1968 - 1983

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff. J. View Post
Was on the PA as a deck boy/JOS/SOS on her second MANZ run between April 1963 to June 1964 away for 15 mths.
Great trip and an equally great crew only marred by my cabin mate Alan Sims [from Chartham in Kent] being drowned in Genoa Italy in the last port of call before we paid off in Glasgow.
Cheers
------
Jeff
my mate was on port boats you call him Richard wiseman steward do you remember him cheers gordon
Old 5th September 2013, 04:09
Organisation: Port Authorities
Department: Office / Administration
Active: 2009 - Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff. J. View Post
Was on the PA as a deck boy/JOS/SOS on her second MANZ run between April 1963 to June 1964 away for 15 mths.
Great trip and an equally great crew only marred by my cabin mate Alan Sims [from Chartham in Kent] being drowned in Genoa Italy in the last port of call before we paid off in Glasgow.
Cheers
------
Jeff
Hi Jeff,
This is a real long-shot. I have posted a thread on this before I noticed your post.
Do you recall any of the ships itinerary/ dates from August 1963, apparently the Port Alfred went from Sydney up to Brisbane and across the Pacific, through the Panama Canal, to Kingston, Tampa and then Newport?
Thanks,
Lal.
Old 27th February 2015, 12:12
Department: Deck
Active: 1966 - Present

Port Alfred

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparkie2182 View Post
does anyone recall Captains Sinclair and Vic Hunt formerly of the Alfred?

also Cheng "Percy" Pike?
Sailed on Port Alfred in 1976 as 2/0 with Dave Sinclair as Master. Sailed on the Port Pirie in 1970 as 4/0 with Vic Hunt as Master.
Old 17th August 2017, 12:16

Always remember asking Don Hargreaves on the Masirah why he slept so much .. His answer was, if you sleep 12 hours a day it makes a 6 month trip into a 3 month trip .. think theres some logic in there somewhere !
Old 27th April 2018, 02:30
Department: Deck
Active: 1962 - 2005

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lal View Post
Hi Jeff,
This is a real long-shot. I have posted a thread on this before I noticed your post.
Do you recall any of the ships itinerary/ dates from August 1963, apparently the Port Alfred went from Sydney up to Brisbane and across the Pacific, through the Panama Canal, to Kingston, Tampa and then Newport?
Thanks,
Lal.
Hi Lal,
I sailed on the Alfred from April 63 until July 64 as a cadet. Think the Mate was Dave Kissane. We did a double header on the MANZ service, so UK to Australia, then a full cargo of freezer and general for Kingston, Vera Cruz, Tampa, Newport, Philly, Newark, Boston, Montreal. Back to Australia, through Panama, with not much cargo then we did it all again, before loading for the UK and paying off. From there I went to Warsash for MAR course of 6 months.
Old 30th November 2018, 23:16
Department: Engineering
Active: 1972 - 1982

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueScouse View Post
Just transferring my slides to computer. Here is one of the Alfred in Durban drydock.People I remember are Jim Copson, Andy Mikel, Twiggy and Willie Horsely.
Will be posting more in the gallery, or maybe in youtube or similar
Just joined SN. I am the one on the far left of the photo. Joined Port Alfred in Kuwait early 1978, paid off September , rejoined in November and finally left in Rio the following March. Then went to Hull college to do my second's ticket. Did one trip on the banana boat Servia then packed in and went coasting with Wharton Shipping of Scunthorpe.